PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I once read here that tacos are just cheeseburgers with a crunchy bun.

Speaking of not being able to smoke. We are on holiday and will soon be staying down the road from NZ’s only B&M. I decided I could fork out the steep tin prices and rung ahead to see what stock they had and whether there were any meets happening in their lounge this week. The response was pretty much

“Lounge? Huh? You want to smoke inside? Haha Yeah Nah Bro, gotta go to the states for that”
Yup.
Visited a B&M with a great cigar selection im Melbourne not so long ago.
They politely told me that they would provide me with a chair out on the pavement if I really wanted to have a smoke :rolleyes:

Banned in many public places in the states, including parks.
Going the way of Oz and NZ :mad:
Thin edge of the wedge. Before long it'll be banned inside buildings as well
I sincerely hope it never comes to that

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I've noticed that in the USA, laws are different from state to state.
In Oz, there are state laws, but the Federal Govt has the final say regarding issues like smoking.
The USA was founded on states having their own laws and a high degree of autonomy, with federal purview being extremely limited. Over the last century, and especially the last 50 years, we have seen the federal government grow ever larger and overreaching.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
For sure. There is a bribe for everything in Mexico. The typical amount is dependent on how much cash you have on you. Never carry much cash in your wallet there.

You can bribe your way through customs/immigrations in Mexico City with bags of Peanut M&M’s. Dead serious.

Not that I was doing anything illegally, but on several work trips this was the guidance given to me. I’d bring 6-8 bags and hand them out when things slowed down or people started taking longer looks at things. More than anything it moves you along quickly enough to not become the center of anyone’s attention. Usually a good thing when traveling for business.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Don't bother trying Mexico, while the law hasn't been enforced / word hasn't gotten around, most of the country is now nonsmoking in public, in buildings, in houses, etc., I guess the cartels don't like the competition!

This is classic Mexico.
It's a bullshit law they can use to fine or pressure tourists or rich people for bribes.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I guess I hadn’t been paying attention since it became somewhat irrelevant in my life, but that’s bananas. Why a guy can’t go outside and smoke wherever the hell he wants is beyond me.

I wonder when we’ll see a formal ban on lunking. I’m for a ban on the term, not the act.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
But if you don’t carry cash, how can you bribe?
The idea is to have just enough for a bribe. For example, if you are pulled over by the Policia they will quote you an amount for the fine for whatever violation they pulled you over for, to be paid directly to them. They will tell you that the alternative is to be taken to the police station. That quoted amount is negotiable, because they want the money and don’t want to take you to the police station. If they quote you $100, but you only have $40 in your wallet, they will take the $40. If you have more, they will take more.

For another example of how this works, many years ago a bunch of my coworkers went down to Tijuana to party. One of them (who is a cop now, LOL) was arrested for being drunk in public. When the rest of my coworkers went down to the police station to pay a fine to get him released, they made the huge mistake of all going together, about ten of them. Instead of paying a $50-$100 fine, which is what they would have been charged if just one or two of them went, they had to pay $500. The price went up for each wallet that showed up to pay.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Went on a fishing trip a few years back in Mexico. The destination was about a 3-4 hour drive south of the border. Our local guide picked us up in a van at the airport. He told us to keep several $10 bills in our passports. The reason soon became obvious. Several times we were stopped by the Federal police. They would surround the vehicle with assault rifles aimed at low ready. We would simply place a $10 bill in our passports and hand them over. After the fee was collected, we were allowed to go on our way. I'm glad I got out of there alive and have no intentions of ever going back.