So The Orkin Guy Is Spraying Our Apartment for Bugs...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
We got a letter from the landlord about a month ago that he was going to be very generous and pay to have all the apartments in our building sprayed to keep them bug free. He told us that the Orkin guy was going to start coming by on the first Tuesday of every month, and that in the event that we are not home, he is going to give the Orkin guy a key to each apartment so that he can come in and do what he needs to do. Now in the event that we are not home, I am kind of worried about the Orkin guy spraying his pesticides where I keep my pipes and tobaccos. Now I know that they obviously treat tobacco plants with pesticides before they process and tin it, but should I be worried about my pipes or the tobaccos that I have in the apartment? Should I maybe move them out to my car or take them to another location while the Orkin guy does his thing? I would imagine that my sealed tins would probably be OK, but I don't know about my pipes or the tobaccos that I have in jars. Anyone else had something similar to this happen? Any input is greatly appreciated.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Unless you have loose tobacco laying on th floor you should be okay. Most spraying is done on floor level around the base boards and such.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Your question came at the right time as i was thinking of doing the same during my two weeks’ vacation away from home end of the month.

Waiting for the answer

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
The chemicals that they use are relatively harmless to humans and pets, unless you drink the stuff. I have my house done every month and have 2 small children and never worry. All of the spraying is done at the baseboard area. I wouldn't worry at all.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Never put your pipes in your car for any length of time. The extreme heat and or cold environments that can develop inside an unattended car is enough to cause loose tenons. It has happened to me more than once that I left a pipe in the car for a few hours during the summer and when I retrieved my pipe the tenon was loose. One went back to shape while the other stayed so loose that the pipe literally slid off the stem if you held it at enough of an angle that gravity could tug at it.

rogers

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 9, 2012
The chemicals that they use are relatively harmless to humans and pets, unless you drink the stuff. I have my house done every month and have 2 small children and never worry. All of the spraying is done at the baseboard area. I wouldn't worry at all.

+1
thumbs.gif

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
I'd worry more about the Orkin guy snatching a pipe or two.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I agree with what everyone else has said, the spraying is done at the basebord level and sometimes at the bottom of cabinets. Also, it more of a stream that they spray, not an aerosol that gets in the air. If you wanted to be extra cautious I suppose you could throw a cover of some sort over your pipes, like a sheet or something, on the days when the Orkin guy comes.

Jul 15, 2011
If you wanted to be extra cautious I suppose you could throw a cover of some sort over your pipes, like a sheet or something, on the days when the Orkin guy comes.
I keep all my pipes in racks on the top shelf of the closet in the spare bedroom. My jars of bulk blends and my organizer that holds my sealed tins all sit on the floor of the closet though. From what you guys are telling me, I could just pick up the jars and the organizers off the floor and leave the pipes where they are and I should be fine.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Yes, a lot of times they'll actually tell you to move stuff off the floor and away from the walls.

Jul 15, 2011
I had tried calling Orkin about a weeks ago and couldn't get through to anyone for whatever reason. I am starting to think that the number the landlord included in the letter was a dead line. Anyway, just to give everyone an update, I called Orkin today and actually got though to someone. I explained to them what was going on and they said that just to be on the safe side, I should pick all my tobacco up off the floor. She said that there was no real danger to the pipes themselves as far as she could tell once I explained to her where I kept them. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.