So Are West Virginians Really Hillbillies?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Cigars
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
New Accessories
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know the history of the term hillbilly, but I somewhat assume it was originally a derogatory term cooked up by townees amused by "billy in from the hills," with his strange ways, and then adopted as a term of honor by the mountain folk themselves. The mountain folk in North Carolina like the seasonal tourism, as long as the visitors go back home, but socially maintain a distance, even while selling to the visitors.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Don't forget that parts of WV have become a bedroom community for Washington DC, so those folks are definitely anything but hillbillies. However, stay off Rt 9 during the morning/afternoon drive times because those folks drive like they are running moonshine!

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
Did you guys hear about the wheat in West Virginia?
It's in bread.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"There's a negative stereotype that West Virginians (or most rural Southerners in general) are inbred. It's a pun"
Yes Hap, I now get the pun.....however I can say this, of all my known West Virginian relatives that I have researched thus far (and that includes to modern times), I've yet to see any inter family marriages.
However, amongst my very many Utah relatives (99% Mormons) I cannot claim the same. They bred like rabbits too and seemed determined to keep any wealth in the family by inter marrying lads and lasses to maintain the status quo.
Right of wrong? Who am I to say, but if they were happy with it then I'm happy :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.