PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What is is they use to fill in the gaps in corn cobs to make them smooth? Plaster of Paris?

I have two cobs here that got washed and now they feel rather rough to the touch, and upon rubbing them with my fingers I get this fine, sparkly micro dust on my fingers. I reckon I've damaged the finish somehow. Is there a way to fix this or reseal them?

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Looks like plaster of Paris, then finished with either concrete mixer for the cheaper pipes or sprayed on lacquer for the nicer ones.

I don't think you can wash off lacquer without some kind of thinner so it was probably the concrete mixer.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
What is is they use to fill in the gaps in corn cobs to make them smooth? Plaster of Paris?

I have two cobs here that got washed and now they feel rather rough to the touch, and upon rubbing them with my fingers I get this fine, sparkly micro dust on my fingers. I reckon I've damaged the finish somehow. Is there a way to fix this or reseal them?
Why not replace them?

Reactions: yanoJL

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
It's plaster of paris underneath a top coat. You could recoat them I suppose with some kind of varnish or wax.

If they went through a wash cycle (I assume you mean through the laundry) then they would have been soaked in detergent, bleach, or some other stuff I wouldn't want the residual remains of in my smoking pipes. I hate to waste, but I'd toss them if I were you.

On second thought, maybe Virginia with the subtle scent of 'Clean Linen' or 'Lavender Meadow' might be good - not far off from one of those Lakeland abominations blends. Perhaps all of those kids eating Tide Pods were onto something.

• Haha
Reactions: yanoJL and serpentx
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Looks like plaster of Paris, then finished with either concrete mixer for the cheaper pipes or sprayed on lacquer for the nicer ones.

I don't think you can wash off lacquer without some kind of thinner so it was probably the concrete mixer.
Dish soap generally contains either sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide and both will definitely remove lacquer or shellac. Lacquer and shellac are natural plant/animal proteins and alkali metal hydroxides will dissolve those.

So like, you'd spend $10 on a small tub of plaster of paris and about $5-8 on a small thing of lacquer, mess up a $2 brush that has to be tossed, and a $1 bowl you mixed things up in? A new cob would just be cheaper, unless it has sentimental connections for you, like your grand pappy smoked it while fighting along side MacArthur in the Pacific or something.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog

Some of this process may be helpful to your situation.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They're cobs, meant to be used up and thrown away. If the finish is bothersome buy a new one.
So like, you'd spend $10 on a small tub of plaster of paris and about $5-8 on a small thing of lacquer, mess up a $2 brush that has to be tossed, and a $1 bowl you mixed things up in? A new cob would just be cheaper, unless it has sentimental connections for you, like your grand pappy smoked it while fighting along side MacArthur in the Pacific or something.
Not for the Special Edition which is irreplaceable. Not a fan of cobs, but these two, one is irreplaceable and the other one has a bit of sentimental value. Really, mates, if I were into the throwaway culture I wouldn't be asking. :rolleyes:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Dish soap generally contains either sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide and both will definitely remove lacquer or shellac. Lacquer and shellac are natural plant/animal proteins and alkali metal hydroxides will dissolve those.
Capital! I'll try lacquer, methinks. I don't think I have to sand, it's just the finish that came off, the plaster is still in place: I wanna seal it to keep it so.

There goes the fabled water cleaning method, eh? In truth I woulda never done this, but these two pipes ended up in a rather unclean area for days: I just couldn't bring myself to smoke them after they'd been in the glove compartment with all kinds of other things.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think a light coating of white school glue will work to get a finish of sorts that will hold the cob together. I have done this on other ones that started sloughing off the exterior.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Capital! I'll try lacquer, methinks. I don't think I have to sand, it's just the finish that came off, the plaster is still in place: I wanna seal it to keep it so.

There goes the fabled water cleaning method, eh? In truth I woulda never done this, but these two pipes ended up in a rather unclean area for days: I just couldn't bring myself to smoke them after they'd been in the glove compartment with all kinds of other things.
If you're going with lacquer and you've never used it before, get spray lacquer, not the brush kind. Lacquer is difficult to work with, if you go brush lacquer, practice on scrap wood first, a lot.

Use spray lacquer, thin coats, let dry for a day, smooth/buff using wadded up newspaper or packing paper before re-coating additional layers.

Reactions: olkofri