PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Greetings everyone,
It's been a while since I've logged on back here as I took a break from pipe-smoking.

Recently I placed an order on smokingpipes.com for some tobacco, and the order seems to have got lost during shipping.
It claims that it was delivered at my address but it has not, when I wrote to smokingpipes support concerning this they simply claimed that the order is not their responsibility once they ship it.

When I asked for proof of delivery they simply sent me order details, and claimed that they kind of parcel they sent does not require any sort of signature from the receiving party.
So at the moment my parcel seems to be in the hands of an unknown person at an unknown address.
Any further inquiries were brushed off with a significant indifference towards my issue.

Is this something new that's been going on? I remember smokingpipes for being one the better retailers yet I have not been disregarded like this, even by less-reputed stores.

This seems wildly different from the experience I had with SP in a very similar situation.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have had 3 Smokingpipes orders go missing this year. They refunded me for all of them after a specified wait time. I was very impressed with how they handled the situation, where another retailer basically told me tough luck. I just expect there to be Delays and random shipping time frames due to Covid. Apart from the smoking pipes orders, I have had another two go missing in transit despite having tracking.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I have had two misdelivered packages in the past year. When I saw that it was reported as delivered to me I went to the Post Office the next day and the Postmaster was able to track where it was delivered. It was retreived and brought to my house. However, it may be too late for that if some time has passed. USPS knows misdeliveries happen and they try to correct it, at least they did for me. It is not SP's fault.

Jshogan2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2019
SC
To the OP, I had this exact thing happen to me last year with a pipe I ordered from SP. The USPS delivery person showed up two days after they indicated the parcel had been delivered and placed it in my mailbox... I was home when it happened and let SP know, but until that point they offered no assistance, no apology, no advice... they also didn't offer shipping insurance when I made my purchase, so it was a really disappointing experience overall.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Generally SP are good, I am a 10 year + member with all the badges etc etc :)

A guess the first thing is what shipping method you chose, with tracking and signature, with tracking only, no tracking etc.
Australia Post is reasonably good so I normally go no tracking for tobacco but tracking for pipes. I had a package go missing and after 2 months I received a credit, then at the 3 month mark it turned up (after having an extended holiday in Switzerland) and I informed SP and I re sent my CC details to pay for the item.

Overall they are probably the best company to deal with but sometimes you need to explain to them the situation and persevere a bit but they are nice folks.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
To the OP, I had this exact thing happen to me last year with a pipe I ordered from SP. The USPS delivery person showed up two days after they indicated the parcel had been delivered and placed it in my mailbox... I was home when it happened and let SP know, but until that point they offered no assistance, no apology, no advice... they also didn't offer shipping insurance when I made my purchase, so it was a really disappointing experience overall.

Did they even reply?

Reactions: ofafeather

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That is rough, man. Shipping can be rough. I am waiting on a package from a different source that was due to arrive on the 9th. On the 9th it made it to "out for delivery" in the afternoon, and "awaiting delivery scan" at 1:10 am on the 10th. Now it hasn't been updated since and the lower part of the window still says "Awaiting delivery scan" but the upper bar has reverted to "IN Transit" instead of "Out for delivery". Here's to hoping we both get our packages!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s a risk we all take when ordering a package from anywhere unfortunately. Unless you pay the extra money to have it be a sig confirmation, registered, certified or insured parcel the customer ends up having to take the loss. You would hope the person who actually received the package would do the right thing but that’s not always the case.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have had two misdelivered packages in the past year. When I saw that it was reported as delivered to me I went to the Post Office the next day and the Postmaster was able to track where it was delivered. It was retreived and brought to my house. However, it may be too late for that if some time has passed. USPS knows misdeliveries happen and they try to correct it, at least they did for me. It is not SP's fault.
Only two in the past year? You're doing pretty good. I consistently have issued with the "new" mail carrier servicing our street and three times this week our mail has been misdelivered. Yesterday our mail was given to someone on a different street and he brought it to my house.

I signed up for "informed delivery" on the usps.com website and that gives me an idea of what coming and when to expect it. Problem is the usps tracking is somewhat a joke as it's not alway accurate.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I signed up for "informed delivery" on the usps.com website and that gives me an idea of what coming and when to expect it. Problem is the usps tracking is somewhat a joke as it's not alway accurate.
I signed up for "informed delivery" a couple of years ago. Every morning I get an email with pictures of the mail (envelopes) that's arriving that day along with a notification of the packages that are also arriving. I think it's a great service.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I signed up for "informed delivery" a couple of years ago. Every morning I get an email with pictures of the mail (envelopes) that's arriving that day along with a notification of the packages that are also arriving. I think it's a great service.
Oh, I think its a great service but its package tracking isn't as accurate as it could be. I talked to someone who works for the post office and he told me the problem is that some of the employees are "less than diligent" when it comes to actually scanning packages for the tracking system.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Now that you mention it, I had signed up awhile back but am no longer getting emails. Will need to check on that!

Reactions: scloyd
Status
Not open for further replies.