PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It was tempting but I relented somehow. I'm saving up for a very special pipe.
Same

004-009-12277.5871.jpg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I really want to add a few pipes to my collection, but I have been directing almost 100% of my smoking-related purchases to blends that might get the axe after May 2021 because of the deeming regs.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Banjo clued me in on the sites that offer it. Good way to grab a pipe before someone else snatches it.

Thanks for the info. It's definitely a good thing to know. However if I ever see a pipe that I just have to get and fully intend to buy, I'd probably just go ahead and buy it puf

Reactions: bnichols23

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nifty pipes at good prices, and happy smoking to all. When tempted, I lunge to my racks and spot a dozen pipes I haven't smoked lately, and get busy with that. I do like those Ashtons, and say, don't second guess the pipe's history. More than likely, it will be a fine smoker.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
@mtwaller, congrats on your new acquisition, I have similar pebble grain lovat here but it has a tad longer mortise area,then In addition I have one canadian ,again pebble grain from Craigs era , at first I was a bit sceptical of these pipes and gotta a do some button shaping jobs on the stems to suit my picky preferences, as for smoking characteristics I was pleasantly surprisied how nicely these did perform right of the bat, dare I say wonderfully, very nice draw, no overheating issues,nothing,so if You can live with the mediocre ? button shaping commonly found on these newer Craigs era Ashtons pipes ,then I'm sure you will be very pleased with your pipe, dependable pipes they are ,love the rustication and that reddish stain.

I’m glad to hear your Ashton’s are fine smokers! I’m not overly picky about the button, I don’t really clench so as long as it’s not massive like a p-lip then I most likely won’t even notice it. I’ve wanted a Lovat badly for a while now, I’m incredibly excited about owning such a fine one as an Ashton. I was going to go with a Peterson 53 but I think this blows that out of the water.

Reactions: trouttimes

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Considering condition it should be more like $1600, tops.

Though in all honesty, I wouldn't be interested at half that price.

I'm curious how you determine whether an older pipe is in good condition to smoke. I haven't dropped a load of cash on any pipes yet, but when I'm ready to add to my collection I'd like to get a few pre-war British pipes which I'd plan to smoke regularly. Any advice on what I should look out for in particular, or any links to threads where you've spelled out this kind of thing before? Thanks in advance for any old pipe knowledge you might care to share puf

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Lawdog, this knowledge comes from experience, luck, disappointment, etc. I don't think you can tell looking at a few pics on eBay. ? Believe it or not, people will lie to you. That is one advantage to buying from a seller like Smoking Pipes or a Blue Room Briars. They inspect what they sell, are far more knowledgeable than many of us and they tend to stand behind what they sell. BUT you have to pay more for that knowledge than you do spinning the wheel on sites like eBay. Usually they have cleaned the pipe and inspected it for issues. Just my two cents. I've bought from both and now I lean away from sites like eBay unless it's a brand I know a lot about and it is a model I have been looking for.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm curious how you determine whether an older pipe is in good condition to smoke. I haven't dropped a load of cash on any pipes yet, but when I'm ready to add to my collection I'd like to get a few pre-war British pipes which I'd plan to smoke regularly. Any advice on what I should look out for in particular, or any links to threads where you've spelled out this kind of thing before? Thanks in advance for any old pipe knowledge you might care to share puf
I've seen enough and examined enough vintage pipes over many years to spot what is likely not noticeable to most buyers. With that set the effects of being most heartily enjoyed are very clear, there's a certain discoloration of the wood that comes from being smoked hot, significant eroding of the rim due to charring that has been buffed away. I remember the original pictures before they decided to clean them up.

I've been fortunate to be mentored by some of the most knowledgeable people in the pipe community, and I listen and ask questions.

Having bought some significant 19th and early 20th century pipes over the years, I know what I'm looking at, and I know prices pretty well. and I know what years of use can do to a pipe if the use has been less than careful.

I can spot topping, even when well done because it's almost impossible to match the color of a restained rim so that it blends right in at every angle, plus a really crisp rim on a pipe whose contours have softened with years of use is a dead giveaway, as is a restamped stem logo that's absolutely white and crisp on a pipe that's seen a buffer far too many times. I look at inconsistencies for the stories they reveal.

The only reason I deal with eBay is because I find things there that I don't find anywhere else. I'm good enough at "reading" images that I can spot an opportunity, like this one:
qu0JQs1.jpg

W9I9CK1.jpg

and feel relatively secure about bidding on it. Keep in mind that my visual acuity has provided me with a rewarding career for 50 years. I'm not your average viewer.

You're always taking a risk bidding on a pipe on eBay, which is why I never bid on a "no return" auction, or one where the seller claims that his pictures are enough. No pictures are "enough". Sometimes a pipe looks great on the outside and is cinders and ruin on the inside. It's rarely the opposite.

Overall I've done quite well with eBay by being patient. A lot get away, but the ones that I've caught have been excellent buys.

Last edited:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thanks, Sable. Seems like with many things, experience is essential to evaluating any given pipe. That one you posted is a beauty. I've seen it before in other threads. It was truly a diamond in the rough when you got it.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
P-lip Piazzola, nice!

And that Ashton is killer. Got a very similar little Parker lovat that I love - light as a feather and fits in the teeth real nice, that size is where it's at with long-shanked pipes IMO.

I about fell over when I saw that. These days I've just got a few I usually search for, & since Ashton's not one I missed seeing that. If I had I might've dropped hammer on it myself. -sigh-

Reactions: mtwaller

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Lawdog, this knowledge comes from experience, luck, disappointment, etc. I don't think you can tell looking at a few pics on eBay. ? Believe it or not, people will lie to you. That is one advantage to buying from a seller like Smoking Pipes or a Blue Room Briars. They inspect what they sell, are far more knowledgeable than many of us and they tend to stand behind what they sell. BUT you have to pay more for that knowledge than you do spinning the wheel on sites like eBay. Usually they have cleaned the pipe and inspected it for issues. Just my two cents. I've bought from both and now I lean away from sites like eBay unless it's a brand I know a lot about and it is a model I have been looking for.

Roger that, trout. There are only a few folks I normally buy from on fleabay nowadays, either because I've bought from them before or I know their rep. Doug Valitchka, pipestud, twestpipes, colwright, mr-tvf, & a dozen or so others. I KNOW I can trust them, & in the cases of colwright, pipestud & Doug they often have styles that appeal to me. SPC, P&C, & a few other "retail" sites fall into the same category.

Status
Not open for further replies.