PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
---or what they ate, how many miles they ran and marched, how many hours they spent in the motor pool or cleaning weapons and gear, the crazy bitches in the local bars, the number of MRE's (Meals Rejected by Ethiopians) they ate, how many punitive pushups they did, the number of hours spent shining footgear, stripping and waxing floors, the annual opportunity to inhale CS gas, being offered Motrin for any injury great or small, and parades of any type...

View attachment 4173
that too

Reactions: jaytex1969

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I have been in for two years and I still feel weird. plus I dont feel like I do deserve it I have not seen combat. I am a wheel machanic I am not infantry or a scout or any of those guys who could have to go and get into a firefight or anything like that. to me those are the guys who deserve the thanks
Well everything is connected. If nobody was taking care of wheels then the guys in firefights would be at a serious disadvantage so there is that... And I assume despite what the guys at the recruitment office said you don't get much of a say in what job you get. Personally I think many people deserve to be thanked. The guys that take our trash away, who cook for us, who clean up after us, and generally any service that keeps the show running etc... People get that concept when it's applied to the military because it's harder to pretend to be better then someone who signs up for a job like that. Either way you're gonna get thanked whether it's weird for you or not.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Google maps is stumped:

"Maps can't find floating somewhere in space on a big ball of dirt.
Make sure your search is spelled correctly. Try adding a city, state, or zip code."

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
The only time I feel uncomfortable when thanked for my Navy time is when it's by a brother or sister who was boots on the ground. I was over there, and I'm finally comfortable with the acknowledgement. But when someone who was in the thick of it thanks me I have to think. I was floating around looking pretty while they were getting shot at.

Thank you all who served.

Reactions: indoeuro

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I dont feel like I do deserve it I have not seen combat. I am a wheel mechanic I am not infantry or a scout or any of those guys who could have to go and get into a firefight or anything like that. to me those are the guys who deserve the thanks

Our Bradleys broke down every week in the swamps of Georgia. We rail-headed them to the Mojave every year for a month of sandbox training and encountered new and more interesting maintenance issues.

By the time we took them to Iraq, we expected them to collapse into a heap upon arrival.

However, by that time, we had thrown just about every type of failure possible at you guys and y'all performed like Jedi masters. Our shit was tight and it worked.

Don't discount your value. And thank you for your service.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Well everything is connected. If nobody was taking care of wheels then the guys in firefights would be at a serious disadvantage so there is that... And I assume despite what the guys at the recruitment office said you don't get much of a say in what job you get. Personally I think many people deserve to be thanked. The guys that take our trash away, who cook for us, who clean up after us, and generally any service that keeps the show running etc... People get that concept when it's applied to the military because it's harder to pretend to be better then someone who signs up for a job like that. Either way you're gonna get thanked whether it's weird for you or not.
We get to pick our but what you do in your unit is up to them so I am bas their is different sectors with the same mood but some are field maintenance recovery..... I wish I was recovery they actually can go out boots to ground fight and fix vehicles. I am just not the kind of guy looking for glory or recognition. I just wanna serve and protect my country.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Thank you for your service. We are expected to go to Kuwait next year. But trust me I know that feeling I was home and had a friend of my dad's who was boots down in Vietnam thank me for my service and I thought to myself you served in war on the lines fighting. They scouts take their trucks out almost every week for field training and come back with all different crazy problems to fix. Last week I had a MTV that hit a humvee and totaled the front bumper and passenger side step the humvee rear end was mangled. A humvee that fought fire, a PLS that generator broke from bouncing around, and ripped and tied the belt in knots, and a humvee that completley dropped the starter out of the bottom somehow. So I know how the trucks get treated and how to make quick fixes to get them up until the real parts get in

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
---or what they ate, how many miles they ran and marched, how many hours they spent in the motor pool or cleaning weapons and gear, the crazy bitches in the local bars, the number of MRE's (Meals Rejected by Ethiopians) they ate, how many punitive pushups they did, the number of hours spent shining footgear, stripping and waxing floors, the annual opportunity to inhale CS gas, being offered Motrin for any injury great or small, and parades of any type...

You should have joined the Air Force, Jay. Worst hardship I ever experienced was when they ran out of Lobster in the DFAC in Qatar before I could get there nana

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Here is my favorite summary of our armed forces.

My wife can attest to my stocks of coffee, ammo (and TP) and also to my ability to curse bitterly on a regular basis.

Military rules, by Service

Marine Corps Rules:
  1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
  2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
  3. Have a plan.
  4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.
  5. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet even your friends…
  6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."
  7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
  8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
  9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
  10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
  11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
  12. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
  13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot.

Navy SEAL's Rules:
  1. Look very cool in sunglasses.
  2. Kill every living thing within view.
  3. Adjust speedo.
  4. Check hair in mirror.

US Army Rangers Rules:
  1. Walk in 50 miles wearing 75 pound rucksack while starving.
  2. Locate individuals requiring killing.
  3. Request permission via radio from "Higher" to perform killing.
  4. Curse bitterly when mission is aborted.
  5. Walk out 50 miles wearing a 75 pound rucksack while starving.

US Army Rules:
  1. Curse bitterly when receiving operational order.
  2. Make sure there is extra ammo and extra coffee.
  3. Curse bitterly.
  4. Curse bitterly.
  5. Do not listen to 2nd LT's; it can get you killed.
  6. Curse bitterly.

US Air Force Rules:
  1. Have a cocktail.
  2. Adjust temperature on air-conditioner.
  3. See what's on HBO.
  4. Ask "what is a gunfight?"
  5. Request more funding from Congress with a "killer" Power Point presentation.
  6. Wine & dine 'key' Congressmen, invite DOD & defense industry executives.
  7. Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets.
  8. Declare the assets "strategic" and never deploy them operationally.
  9. Hurry to make 13:45 tee-time.
  10. Make sure the base is as far as possible from the conflict but close enough to have tax exemption.

US Navy Rules:
  1. Go to Sea.
  2. Drink Coffee.
  3. Deploy Marines

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
Here is my favorite summary of our armed forces.

My wife can attest to my stocks of coffee, ammo (and TP) and also to my ability to curse bitterly on a regular basis.

Military rules, by Service

Marine Corps Rules:
  1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
  2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
  3. Have a plan.
  4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.
  5. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet even your friends…
  6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."
  7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
  8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
  9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
  10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
  11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
  12. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
  13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot.

Navy SEAL's Rules:
  1. Look very cool in sunglasses.
  2. Kill every living thing within view.
  3. Adjust speedo.
  4. Check hair in mirror.

US Army Rangers Rules:
  1. Walk in 50 miles wearing 75 pound rucksack while starving.
  2. Locate individuals requiring killing.
  3. Request permission via radio from "Higher" to perform killing.
  4. Curse bitterly when mission is aborted.
  5. Walk out 50 miles wearing a 75 pound rucksack while starving.

US Army Rules:
  1. Curse bitterly when receiving operational order.
  2. Make sure there is extra ammo and extra coffee.
  3. Curse bitterly.
  4. Curse bitterly.
  5. Do not listen to 2nd LT's; it can get you killed.
  6. Curse bitterly.

US Air Force Rules:
  1. Have a cocktail.
  2. Adjust temperature on air-conditioner.
  3. See what's on HBO.
  4. Ask "what is a gunfight?"
  5. Request more funding from Congress with a "killer" Power Point presentation.
  6. Wine & dine 'key' Congressmen, invite DOD & defense industry executives.
  7. Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets.
  8. Declare the assets "strategic" and never deploy them operationally.
  9. Hurry to make 13:45 tee-time.
  10. Make sure the base is as far as possible from the conflict but close enough to have tax exemption.

US Navy Rules:
  1. Go to Sea.
  2. Drink Coffee.
  3. Deploy Marines

View attachment 4301
Caffeen, alcohol and nicotine are your best friends

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I still don't know how to respond when someone thanks me for my service, I feel like saying than you to someone thanking me is weird, but thank you.

I know I ordered Bob's Chocolate flake andcgot the limit I was allowed to purchase when it was in stock and I just put 5 tins of Peterson IrishFlake in this order, which also has a limit

About to start my 24th year. It's ok to feel a bit awkward. That's a sign of humility and professional character. I also get a bit uncomfortable but I am always mindful of and respect the fact that strangers care so much about people who choose to serve others, they go out of their way to show it. Contrary to what you may see in the news or online- most people are good.

So I just say "thanks" or "it's an honor to serve" or if I'm feeling cheeky "I'm just glad they want to pay me."

eclayton

Lurker
Oct 19, 2019
I am overseas now. I forgot to pack any pipes for the deployment, so I found smokingpipes.com online. I’ve placed multiple orders from them since I deployed and I really appreciated their free shipping to APO addresses. Basically it allowed me to order four pipes instead of three and convince my wife I was getting a deal...

Plus I found the estate pipes I bought from them were better than advertised, exactly as pictured but a little bit nicer than described. Where they said a flaw was “small” or “minor” I found it hard to locate the flaws at all when I had the pipes in my hands. They under-promise and over-deliver!

Jaytex969, you sound 100% US Marine (that’s a compliment, by the way). But I see from the comment about Bradleys that you were Army. The part about marching, push-ups, crazy moonbat bar girls, etc. must be the same in both services.

Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.