PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dimitri

Lurker
Jul 2, 2020
St. Helens, England
I was thinking the other day just how much sight plays a role in the enjoyment pipe smoking...my mind doesn't half wander when I smoke my pipe!

But really, seeing the smoke in front of you, blowing smoke rings, watching a room fill with slow swirling smoke patterns is so much a part of the experience.

Of course we talk often about taste and tongue bite and nicotine hit, all very important, but when I close my eyes for a few minutes and smoke my pipe like that, its a completely different smoke, all about feel and taste and the sensation of smoke in your mouth and nose...

Strange.,..

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But really, seeing the smoke in front of you, blowing smoke rings, watching a room fill with slow swirling smoke patterns is so much a part of the experience.
I don't see any smoke when my eyes are open. Maybe a hint of a wisp, but never clouds. People around me usually just assume I have an unlit pipe in my mouth.

Yeh, I am a visual person. I rely on my sight for so much. It took me forever to adjust to bifocals, because of the warped peripheral vision the glasses give me. But, when it comes to relying on visuals for smoking my pipe, I don't think it's much of an issue. Many times my pipe has gone out, and I am pretty sure that I could still taste warmed tobacco for an extended period afterwards, then after a while I realize that it is out.

Thin wisps of smoke at best emanate from me while smoking my pipe. And, in a darkened room, one would probably not even know that I was smoking, except for the smell.

But, if you like playing in billowing smoke, then good for you. You'll probably just want to watch out for bite and burning up your pipe if you get carried away.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I like to watch the smoke. It's best when there is no wind and I can look at it swirling in the air. Definitely adds to the experience. I've never tried it eyes closed...

Reactions: Dimitri

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I think the best smoke I ever had was when I relaxed into a comfy recliner and had my eyes closed while I was getting caught up in my breathing. I tasted so many things, and didn't concentrate on making enough smoke come out of my mouth.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
I think I have 3 moods I smoke a pipe in. There is I'm at work and concentrating, often goes out as I am not usually paying attention much attention to my pipe. There is sitting in my chair thinking about what I am going to do after the current pipe I am smoking, I will watch the smoke during this mood and smoke slow. Then there is the I need to relax mood, usually the end of the day and I am just trying to forget about the day, there tends to be nothing beyond me and my pipe at this point, eyes opened or closed does not matter, I am the smoke at this point...

Reactions: brut666