Smoking unfinished bowl next day (or two)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it didn't taste good I'd dump it in a flash. But I've always found it tastes as good, sometimes a little better. I'm thrifty but not willing to smoke bitter or stale tobacco.

Reactions: clynch and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi Gents. As a new pipe smoker, I’m playing around with how much of a bowl I can or want to smoke at once. Very rarely will I get through an entire bowl, leaving me to smoke it over the course of the next day or two. Is this common with most of you? I quite often would love smoking the last 1/4 of a larger cigar the next day. Flavour is different I’d say, but never really minded. Thoughts?
not common but also not unusual. Some people love it some people find it acceptable and then there is me and some others that find it disgustingish. I always get a bit of ashtray when I do that. I think it's one of those body chemistry/subtle physiology things. Like it's o.k. but I'd rather have a new fresh pipe. The thing is with pipe smoking there are certain things that are just facts, if you smoke faster the pipe smoke will reach a higher temp., if you pack tighter it restricts the draw, moisture effects how it burns and other properties. But and this caveat is key the whole point of a pipe is to be enjoyed and knowing how it works makes it easier for you to find the right way to smoke as in the right way for you to smoke. If it is more enjoyable to you and your senses to sear your tongue into submission and pain go for it and add moisture to a freshly opened tin and smoke it like you're cos playing thomas the chewchew train (avoiding copyright issues). If like most people you don't like it take it slow and let it dry out to your tastes. There is a reason the phrase "your mileage may vary" is used so incredibly frequently on this forum. Because it applies to almost every aspect of this hobby/ritual/devotional activity....

Reactions: JSPiper71
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
jack11.jpg
Excess carbon buildup can swell with moisture and actually cause your bowl to crack!!
Leaving unsmoked tobacco in the chamber, and allowing it to sit for a day or two can actually provide a pleasant smoking experience and even has a name. Dgt or Delayed Gratification Technique is literally just smoking a pipe for a time, setting it down and coming back to it some time later, and actually has nothing to do with excess carbon build up and cracked bowls. Nothing wrong with doing it if you enjoy it. Have fun!

Reactions: clynch

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I always make sure to make time for a full bowl or if time is limited I'll use a smaller Cob. I would never smoke a half smoked cigar, I would just chuck it. Thats just me though.

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
Do not re-smoke an unfinished bowl; same goes for cigars. Gross and desperate. Pipe tobacco is dirt-cheap. Dump, clean, and re-fill like a gentleman unless you want to change your name to Tuco.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't know that it is common, it isn't for me. Some blends are more friendly to this practice, such as Virginias. Some would argue the rest time makes the blend better.

I've yet to see a cigar smoke well after being extinguished for more than a 1/2 hour.
I do it all the time. They smoke just fine.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I’m a cheapskate who hates throwing out tobacco. I’ve relit cigars after days sitting in the ashtray in my car and I always have a half full pipe or four sitting at hand that will get finished in the next day or two.

The last partial bowl I remember throwing out was a pipe I found in the “action pac” with a pipe cleaner plug from the Chicago show in May when I was packing for the Vegas show in November.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do not re-smoke an unfinished bowl; same goes for cigars. Gross and desperate. Pipe tobacco is dirt-cheap. Dump, clean, and re-fill like a gentleman unless you want to change your name to Tuco.
Condescending others smoking habits isn't a very gentlemanly trait.

Reactions: Sgetz

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hi Gents. As a new pipe smoker, I’m playing around with how much of a bowl I can or want to smoke at once. Very rarely will I get through an entire bowl, leaving me to smoke it over the course of the next day or two. Is this common with most of you? I quite often would love smoking the last 1/4 of a larger cigar the next day. Flavour is different I’d say, but never really minded. Thoughts?
I do it all the time, it's fine.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Wildlands

Might Stick Around
Jan 17, 2022
NC, USA
I don’t do it, I only load a pipe when know I have enough time set aside to finish it off completely. But to each his own.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
It's a NO for me...
8wgRDjp.gif

• Haha
Reactions: FLDRD

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I rarely leave my bowl unfinished...It only happen if I forgot to finish it up...it taste like crap the next day because I forgot to clean that pipe ass well..So ...better to start with clean pipe next day and dump that junk to let the pipe breathe and clean it...few times a year I have got a situation when I just lighted a pipe and something changes and I have to put it down almost full...and this almost full pipe it perfectly fine the next day or the same day after few hours

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For me the difference is whether 1.) the tobacco left over is soggy or not 2.) the pipe needs cleaning or not; 3.) Whether my mood is good, bad or indifferent.