Smoking unfinished bowl next day (or two)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Hi Gents. As a new pipe smoker, I’m playing around with how much of a bowl I can or want to smoke at once. Very rarely will I get through an entire bowl, leaving me to smoke it over the course of the next day or two. Is this common with most of you? I quite often would love smoking the last 1/4 of a larger cigar the next day. Flavour is different I’d say, but never really minded. Thoughts?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I try to avoid leaving a bowl unfinished, which isn't always possible when "life happens". A fresh smoke, whether pipe, cigar, or cigarette, is always preferred.

I can say a leftover pipe tastes better than an unfinished cigar. The cigar typically tastes stale, flat, and ashy without being able to revive the original/initial taste.

An unfinished pipe (to me) doesn't typically have the same ashy taste, but it still tastes flat.

Packing less or using a smaller "pocket pipe" may help avoid the issue. If I know timing is an issue, I usually resort to cigarettes. If time wasn't an issue, I'm fairly certain I'd leave cigarettes behind.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
DGT: Delayed Gratification Technique. I do it occasionally, when I don't have time to finish the bowl. Don't mind the taste. But some blends are better than the others. Lately been occupied and don't have an hour to kill, so smoking a lot of cancer sticks. But when I had time, I'll set aside two hours for a bowl. If I have more than 1/3 of bowl left, I'll save for later.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I used to hate it, but now it's mostly the way I do it, since I can only smoke in my car and I normally don't have the time to sit there for 40 minutes with the task of finishing the bowl. That's one reason I favour pipes with small chambers—and even those many times get smoked in two sessions, spaced sometimes even a week between.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I do so all the time, as when I step out for a walk, I load a new one, even though there may be several partially smoked bowls.

If the tobacco is dry enough to begin with, it won't be a soggy mess when left overnight- or days more. No loss of flavor, no restriction on type, except no aromatics or PG treated blends,

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I do it a lot. Especially with the first smoke of the day being what I didn't finish the night before or smoking a pipe off and on at work.

I've yet to see a cigar smoke well after being extinguished for more than a 1/2 hour.
Ever cut the burnt end off just behind the ash and forcefully blow through it just prior to laying it down?

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I can say a leftover pipe tastes better than an unfinished cigar. The cigar typically tastes stale, flat, and ashy without being able to revive the original/initial taste.
It does help to exhale and blow through the cigar a few times before you leave it, helps it taste fresher when you relight.

That's why Clint smoked those little cigars in those Spaghetti Westerns, never know when some bandidos might interrupt your smoke.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Hi Gents. As a new pipe smoker, I’m playing around with how much of a bowl I can or want to smoke at once. Very rarely will I get through an entire bowl, leaving me to smoke it over the course of the next day or two. Is this common with most of you? I quite often would love smoking the last 1/4 of a larger cigar the next day. Flavour is different I’d say, but never really minded. Thoughts?
I've done it many times.

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I do so all the time, as when I step out for a walk, I load a new one, even though there may be several partially smoked bowls.

If the tobacco is dry enough to begin with, it won't be a soggy mess when left overnight- or days more. No loss of flavor, no restriction on type, except no aromatics or PG treated blends,
Are you saying you may load new fresh tobacco on top of the old?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

JSPiper71

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
I don't like to leave a pipe unfinished but a cigar really goes well the next day.
Wow, what a diversity in response. I guess this may come down to a 'do what works for me personally' sort of thing. There is a bit of a financial/hate to waste good tobacco aspect to this given the price/scarcity of tobacco here in Canada, but that isn't the main driver. I'm kind of like @Eye-level in that the idea doesn't sit well with me. But having tried it numerous times now, I don't find it really affects the taste and experience all that much if at all. I don't smoke a lot though compared to others here, so when I do I want it to be amazing.

I'm going to source a smaller pipe I think for times that I know I won't finish it, but will likely keep pondering this issue in my own head as I gain more experience.

Thanks Gents.