PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Always hard to judge a pipe size looking on the net. I've seen a few egg shaped pipes but it seems that might have quite big bowls, (quite big = much wider than a standard billiard or apple). Is this true? Thoughts?
And what do you think about their smoking qualities?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Always hard to judge a pipe size looking on the net. I've seen a few egg shaped pipes but it seems that might have quite big bowls, (quite big = much wider than a standard billiard or apple). Is this true? Thoughts?
My Vauen Olaf bent egg (#4873) has a 20mmx46mm chamber ... so not much bigger than a medium size bowl. I had to remove the bowl coating and apply my own pipemud to remove the petroleum flavor and smell so it is now roughly 18mmx44mm. It is one of my favorite pipes. I like bents and this rings all the bells for me. It is the most comfortable and practical pipe I own. Can't recommend it enough. When shopping look at the chamber sizes and weight. The Olaf is very lightweight ... lighter than other pipes. Its my favorite bent shape.
This smokes perfectly all the time and the one I grab most often. (9mm too)

1707097512210.jpeg
M

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

My Vauen Olaf bent egg (#4873) has a 20mmx46mm chamber ... so not much bigger than a medium size bowl. I had to remove the bowl coating and apply my own pipemud to remove the petroleum flavor and smell so it is now roughly 18mmx44mm. It is one of my favorite pipes. I like bents and this rings all the bells for me. It is the most comfortable and practical pipe I own. Can't recommend it enough. When shopping look at the chamber sizes and weight. The Olaf is very lightweight ... lighter than other pipes. Its my favorite bent shape.
This smokes perfectly all the time and the one I grab most often. (9mm too)

View attachment 285436
M
Beautiful pipe! What about the outside diameter? Is it larger than, say a medium sized billard or apple? Are we getting into bent pot territory?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Beautiful pipe! What about the outside diameter? Is it larger than, say a medium sized billard or apple? Are we getting into bent pot territory?
Definitely not a pot. The bowl is about the size of my Savinelli 2614KS which has a 20mmx42mm chamber. But the walls aren't as thick and its lighter. If that helps. Its about the size of my Pete Aran 68 Irish Army but the shank is longer and a 1/4 bend rather than 1/2 bent (guessing here). And its a little longer overall. But again its lighter in weight and very comfortable.

• Surface: Black
  • Drilling: 9 mm
  • Stem: Acrylic
  • Material: Briar
  • Length: 135 mm
  • Height of bowl: 50 mm
  • Drilling of the bowl: 20 mm

• Weight: ca. 50g

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Depends on how the chamber is drilled, just like any other shape. I have eggs that look similar outwardly, but have wildly different chamber dimensions. Just depends.

Most sites, even many ebay sellers usually list chamber dimensions. I look to that, length, and weight before any purchase.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
When I'm talking about the bowls, I'm particularly interested in the outside diameter - are we talking a huge pipe in the hand or something comparable to a billiard or brandy? Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

Reactions: JOHN72

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When I'm talking about the bowls, I'm particularly interested in the outside diameter - are we talking a huge pipe in the hand or something comparable to a billiard or brandy? Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
Entirely depends on the pipe, some large and some small, and some may have thick chambers. You just have to go by the seller's listed dimensions.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I DO like a lot bent egg shapes, but more often than not, they're a bit too big for me.
Among the specimens I've inspected in-hand, it seems many have a good sized chamber, but not quite as large as you'd expect. Many tend to have tapered thickness of the chamber walls. I have a Regina Scarlatta example that I absolutely adore.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I would say my vauen is not much bigger than the one in your avatar although it might be taller. About medium billiard size. but again, a larger pipe that is light in weight is more comfortable than a smaller heavier pipe if clenching.

Reactions: sparker69

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Well, if you have a pipe that's a regular production pipe, look it up on Smoking Pipes or any other site that lists the dimensions and see how big the diameter is on the stummel. Compare that outside dimension to any eggs you're looking at and that will give you a better idea.

My Chacom 871 bent apple is a chunky-ish boy, it's 1.87" diameter. My Savinelli 315KS prince is 1.72" outside diameter. I know .16" doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a pretty significant difference in hand feel.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
@sparker69

These are the dimensions for one of my Savinelli Giubileo d’Oro 660 Bent Egg pipes (the measurements of the second are pretty similar):

Bowl Height: 2.08 in./52.83 mm.
Chamber Depth: 1.79 in./45.47 mm.
Chamber Diameter: 0.77 in./19.56 mm.
Outside Diameter: 1.52 in./38.61 mm.

002-033-39610.9482.jpg

002-033-39610_4.2744.jpg

It smokes like other pipes with similar chamber dimensions; the most unusual thing about this design is the bulging shank, which is an evolution of the Savinelli Nonpareil 9006, to the Savinelli Linea 76 06, ultimately to the 660.

Hope this helps.