PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

So I placed 2 orders one prior to black Friday and one on Black Friday. They both went out and I saw a box waiting outside today after mailmans truck left block. I figured it was the first order - wrong - I opened it, and it was the second order. Figured it arrived first and first will arrive tomorrow - HERE'S THE THING - They both read as delivered today but I only have 1 box.
Either mailman still has on truck? delivered to wrong house? worst case, is he a theif(I know him for 6 years)? Now am I out the dough!? Will insurance cover a package that reads delivered. I am worried as this NEVER happened in all my years of using USPS. What do you think? I hope I can catch some zzz's tonight

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
So I placed 2 orders one prior to black Friday and one on Black Friday. They both went out and I saw a box waiting outside today after mailmans truck left block. I figured it was the first order - wrong - I opened it, and it was the second order. Figured it arrived first and first will arrive tomorrow - HERE'S THE THING - They both read as delivered today but I only have 1 box.
Either mailman still has on truck? delivered to wrong house? worst case, is he a theif(I know him for 6 years)? Now am I out the dough!? Will insurance cover a package that reads delivered. I am worried as this NEVER happened in all my years of using USPS. What do you think? I hope I can catch some zzz's tonight
Definitely let SP know. They have more pull with USPS than you or I, and can open a case on your behalf, and hopefully sort it out. At least that’s what I understood from an email exchange I had once over a postal issue.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I once had a package from sp stolen off my porch about 3 years ago. I just contacted them and they reshipped me another order. But it sounds like maybe yours will be their tommrow. I’ve had that happen with informed delivery letter shows scheduled for today but then i don’t get it till the next day.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Call them. I had a situation where I only ordered one thing - a Tinsky pipe. Fast forward until the delivery date and it said “Delivered” on the tracking page.

Only problem was that I never saw it, never sniffed it, never even got a peep at it. And I was waiting on the postman when he showed up.

Called them within 30 seconds of getting the update that it had been delivered. They opened a complaint with the USPS. They were up front with me and told me it’d take at least 14 days to settle it out, but that if it wasn’t located, they would refund me, give me store credit, or contact Mark and ask for a similar pipe.

14 days went by and it wasn’t found. Not only did they give me store credit, the guy I was working with, Nick, went out of his way to get me a replacement. I wasn’t in a position to wait on another Tinsky and ended up getting something else. He was sending me several photos of pipes they hadn’t published on their website, yet, going out of his way to find something that would make me happy.

I ended up getting a Salvinelli Miele in a 316 which I’ve yet to smoke. The lesson here is that SP’s customer service is second to none. In fact, I think I may have even been so impressed by it that I started a thread after it all shook out.

Give them a shout. I’m almost positive they will make it right.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Well the expected delivery was November 28(sat) this morning I looked up the tracking and seems like system changed from Delivered Dec.1 to November 28 - making me look even dumber
I should've took a screenshot of it last night as proof when I made this thread - but was too caught up - just spoke with Post office said they will talk to driver - "that's all we can do now" I asked about the insurance "I can't comment on that now" I'm calling smokingpipes next - my driver doesn't show 'til much later - I'll confront him - hopefully he has it - what pisses me off it how they can mark it delivered - not the theft aspect or the loss aspect

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I've tracked packages that show 'delivery today' and they show up tomorrow. Recently I had an order from Harney & Sons showing a Saturday delivery and it arrived a day early. Who knows anymore? I've never had a package stolen.

Reactions: pitchfork
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve never had them stolen, but I have had them sitting at the local post office while the tracking said “delivered.”
I’ve also had them say “delivery attempted” even though the mail lady never came by. I think they can pretty much put whatever they want for the delivery status. ?‍♂️

Jun 23, 2019

Well that escalated quickly..

Well the expected delivery was November 28(sat) this morning I looked up the tracking and seems like system changed from Delivered Dec.1 to November 28 - making me look even dumber
I should've took a screenshot of it last night as proof when I made this thread - but was too caught up - just spoke with Post office said they will talk to driver - "that's all we can do now" I asked about the insurance "I can't comment on that now" I'm calling smokingpipes next - my driver doesn't show 'til much later - I'll confront him - hopefully he has it - what pisses me off it how they can mark it delivered - not the theft aspect or the loss aspect

Sounds like you're self diagnosis was correct but the prescription was wrong.

Instead of trying to "confront" everyone, take some time to let the situation play out. I've had packages that were scanned as delivered show up a day or two later because it was forgotten on the truck, left in the warehouse, or something to that effect. In the rare case where something was lost, the retailer (SP.com has A+ customer service) has always made it right either with a refund or another shipment.

USPS deliver millions of packages daily, there will be hiccups. Plus not only has it been a weirdly demanding year, it's also the holiday season, I'm sure they are buried from now throughout December.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Well that escalated quickly..

Sounds like you're self diagnosis was correct but the prescription was wrong.

Instead of trying to "confront" everyone, take some time to let the situation play out. I've had packages that were scanned as delivered show up a day or two later because it was forgotten on the truck, left in the warehouse, or something to that effect. In the rare case where something was lost, the retailer (SP.com has A+ customer service) has always made it right either with a refund or another shipment.

USPS deliver millions of packages daily, there will be hiccups. Plus not only has it been a weirdly demanding year, it's also the holiday season, I'm sure they are buried from now throughout December.
full disclosure - while my postman seems to be an upstanding guy, I don't know him - he took over the route of our 30 year mailman - I have encountered MANY thieves in my short lifetime so I don't give anyone a pass - maybe except pipe smokers, and other hobbyists that show character. Life is far from perfect and people can and will steal when given the chance. But yes, regardless, I still don't think they should scan them as delivered until literally delivered.

Jan 27, 2020
I ordered something from a smaller retailer (don't want to mention them as I don't think its their fault) on the 22nd and still have yet to get the package and USPS tracking says something ambiguous like "package will arrive later than expected" without any of the normal history you're usually able to see.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee