PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I turned the third bay of a 3 car garage into a smoking room. Walled it off with insulation, installed a gas heater and AC unit, a 55" flat screen and comfortable chairs including a recliner for me. Yesterday, I made a trip to IKEA, was tortured by those morons for a couple of hours, but ultimately ended up with a nice compact laptop desk along with a small but comfortable chair. Now I can spend more time here smoking pipe and still get some work done.

Reactions: addamsruspipe

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
That is how you do it, Mark!
The wife delegated my study as the place to smoke her cigars and frowns upon smoking them anywhere else. So I agreed with this but drew line with my pipe smoking. Granted I typically hang out in my den but the pipe smoke goes where I go in the rest of the house, happily puffing away.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Big Pond and others, you might find this anecdote interesting. A few years so, for $50, I was asked to participate in a study on smoking. For perhaps three weeks I submitted to a modest examination. Then the study, sponsored by a major university, suddenly ended. Why? They weren't getting the results they expected and wanted, namely they couldn't find enough significant health damage among the smoking group. The study threatened to be politically incorrect.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I know. It's a fault.

Folks complaining about the smell of stale smoke are some of the same people who love a well manicured yard, but hate the noise of the mower, love fishing but refuse to clean them, watch NASCAR with the sound off because, "It's too loud!", enjoys a good riot but detests the gas or getting shot, spends big bucks for front row seating and then complains because the boxers' sweat got all over him.
Amen Warren

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I turned the third bay of a 3 car garage into a smoking room. Walled it off with insulation, installed a gas heater and AC unit, a 55" flat screen and comfortable chairs including a recliner for me. Yesterday, I made a trip to IKEA, was tortured by those morons for a couple of hours, but ultimately ended up with a nice compact laptop desk along with a small but comfortable chair. Now I can spend more time here smoking pipe and still get some work done.
Yeah, I had to quote the whole thing Hoosier! Strong work. If I had a three car garage I guarantee I would do the same. Dedication! Enjoy those Larryson pipes in your cave my friend.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
Well, i know this doesn't answer the original question, but, I'm not selling the house until my heirs do, so I smoke all over in every room. BTW, I once had a Winnebago that I smoked pipes and cigars in. I just fumigated it with beaucoup sprays of Zep odor eliminater and no one who looked at ever commented, and it sold quickly.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Or. buying a house situated between a cow field and a shooting range, then bitching about the sound and smell... :crazy:
Sorry, rant off. My exhaust fan runs from the time I light up in the afternoon until about 15 minutes after my last smoke of the day. There is minimal smell when I get up in the morning in that room and nowhere else in the house.
Diligent ash policing is at least equally as important as smoke management. I tap my ash and dottle into a small glass that stays covered and is emptied into a ziplock bag regularly when cooled. In case you fellows were wondering what to do with all of the ziplocks from tobacco samples and pipe cleaners, keep them near the trash can for ash and dottle enclosure.
jay-roger.jpg

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
folonator, thanks for that link on the exhaust fan. I believe it's a "Hyper" or something along those lines. Was developed for the folks in the "Grower" community to move air in their "grow" rooms.
it is very powerfull, can move over 1,000 cfm and is very quiet.
I will probably replace my pansonic unit with this in the next year or so. I believe it's only $100 -$150 or so.
One other note on keeping the mancave from smelling like stale cigars and pipe tobacco is to empty the ashtrays & trash cans frequently, as well as vacuuming the area rug.
I do this weekly and then spritz the rug with fabreeze, keeps the room smelling more like a brick n mortar (new unsmoked tobacco), vs a dirty stale ashtray.
just my $0.02

ymmv
;-)

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I smoke sitting next to my kitchen window with a window fan in it. When I’m done smoking I just take the fan out. The window happens to be at the same level as my head when I’m sitting, so it works perfectly. I’ve never had any lingering smoke odor in the house.

Inline vent fans. I posted pictures and diagrams a couple of years ago of setting up mine. No noise, huge power that draws out all of the air in the room every five minutes, and with just an adjustable rheostat switch on the wall. We just don’t run it in summer or winter because it pulls all of cold or warm air out of the house. But, on movie nights, it helps us see the TV without being clouded with smoke. All in all, I don’t think I’ve ever met a pipe smoker who didn’t like the smell of the smoke. It’s just a part of the hobby. And, if setting at The Briary, you will always hear someone walking in remarking on how awesome all of the cigar and pipesmoke smells. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say, “Ewww, smelly smoke,” when walking in. Usually people who don’t like the smell of smoke go into flower arranging or potpouri making as a hobby... I would think. :puffy:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I smoke in an enclosed back porch and my wife will come home and she'll comment how nice it smells...not nice enough to let me smoke in the house though. If it's really hot out I will smoke in our unfinished basement.

McBragg

Lurker
Oct 29, 2019
Los Angeles
My back patio faces west. So I can smoke out there in the summer afternoons and evenings and be in the shade. It's quite relaxing. But just yesterday the wind and bitter cold(62 degrees) sent me scurrying for shelter. The workshop area in my Garage is quite nice. I have a nice assembly table I keep uncluttered. I setup my laptop and sip a beverage and light up. I like it as much as my office, it has bank of windows to look out in the yard.

But, since I'm smoking in an enclosure I'll be switching to aromatics.

Bottom line: It's the frequency of the deed. An occasional mishap when the wife is out of town can be aired out and explained away. A daily smoke-out will land you in the doghouse, which might not be bad if it has an ashtray. If you want to keep your house smoke free don't smoke there. It's just too much of a battle for me. I smoke a lot of cigars too, and I don't even smoke those in the shop.

j

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I built a small room in my basement that is completely closed off from the rest of the house. It has an exterior door to keep the smell inside when it's closed and I thoroughly caulked the room for any air leakage. I have an S&P inline duct fan with 6" ducting to exhaust the smoke and 6" ducting to provide fresh air. Also an electric heater to provide warmth and a TV for entertainment. I only use the room in fall and winter. I decided this was a better option then the garage.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Or. buying a house situated between a cow field and a shooting range, then bitching about the sound and smell... :crazy:
Sorry, rant off. My exhaust fan runs from the time I light up in the afternoon until about 15 minutes after my last smoke of the day. There is minimal smell when I get up in the morning in that room and nowhere else in the house.
Diligent ash policing is at least equally as important as smoke management. I tap my ash and dottle into a small glass that stays covered and is emptied into a ziplock bag regularly when cooled. In case you fellows were wondering what to do with all of the ziplocks from tobacco samples and pipe cleaners, keep them near the trash can for ash and dottle enclosure.
jay-roger.jpg
someone moved into the neighborhood I grew up in and lodged an official complaint against the pig farm. Granted that smell is terrible but it was in the neighborhood first. Thankfully it didn't go anywhere since pig farms are allowed to stink.

Status
Not open for further replies.