PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Normally I start smoking in the morning on my front porch, then around 4pm I go to my lanai in the back of my place. Recently I began smoking my Boswell aromatics in the house and my kids love the smell.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm with nsfisher. I smoke where it seems most logical to smoke at the time. I do smoke more inside than I do outside. Hard to smoke outside in Nova Scotia. We don't get a lot of calm still days, and smoking in the wind, to me, is a waste of tobacco. Always seems too hot, too fast, too harsh and brings out the worst in a tobacco. I like to smoke indoors where it's wind free. Love the pipe smoke hanging in the air while I smoke. I just crack a couple windows open so that that wind that forces me inside can do its work and slowly push the smoke out of the house. I did smoke outside more when I lived in Ohio.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
My wife does not mind me smoking the pipe in the house. However, I use a significant smoke machine (for five-years) that eliminates odors and smoke. It is expensive and it is on wheels. And, it works fantastic! Below is a link if you are interested. It is the best investment in smoking that I have ever made. It is the Dynamic CT500. It is a $1000 investment but well worth it in my opinion!
http://www.homesmokeeater.com/

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I smoke in the house with fan going out the door.

I just bought a Winix PlasmaWave 5300 Air Cleaner Model 3 weeks ago $159 and what a difference.
I also have 2 great danes and there are NO odors smoke or pet.
On low you cannot hear it. On high it's like a jet engine. I keep it on low 24/7.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Captainbob-That's quite an impressive unit but not cheap for sure. It's quiet from the video although I don't know the unit they were comparing it to. A bit more than I'd be willing to spend, however. the Winix unit would be more my style but I'd like a larger unit for the living room instead of the bedroom. If I could find one that would eliminate most of the smoke so painting wouldn't be a project every few years I think I'd buy it. I don't remember the last time I sat down and watched a movie and smoked with a cup of coffee-it's always been out to the deck or down in the garage.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
not sure if this helps control smoke indoors, but a small ozone machine does a great job for odor. Bought one new for 50$, it is silent and will clear a living room of odor. It is really small and I am considering a larger one. It is called a prozone. About the size of a half pound of baccy.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I smoke where ever I am. Several years ago I installed a bathroom type vent in the ceiling of the living room over my nest (what my wife calls my chair and pipe area). It didn't work real well, so I installed another through the wall which brings in an air supply from another room. It works like a champ! (Get quiet run fans).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I do know a little something about removing smoke and odors. I owned an upscale billiard parlor for 20 years and had very expensive equipment in which to remove smoke and odors. I had researched the industry and there are basically two types of units on the market, Hepa and electro static.
The best smoke EATERS are three stage hepa units which include the hepa filter, a charcoal filter and the soft pre filter. These units are rated in CFM's which determine how much air is moved around. The smallest ones were 1000 and the biggest were 2500. I had 4 1500 cfm units placed in positions to move the air in a circular motion. They worked for 20 years straight and needed the heppa and charcoal filters to be changed once a year and the pre filters to be changed twice a month.
Now these units only removed smoke, they do not do anything about smell. For smell I had a commercial ozinator which did an incredible job. When we shut down at 1 am, the unit would go on and run until 11 am the next day. You do not want to breath that stuff for too long. The one I had cost 450.00 back in 1990.
For home use it looks like Captnbob has the right idea. It looks like his unit is one of the hepa units I am referring to.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
From all indications of what I've looked at it appears the CT500 is the one to go with, albeit, not a very cheap outfit but seems to fit the bill for fairly large living rooms like the one I have...wish it was about $500. If any work as intended it seems this is the one.

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I mostly smoke indoors, If I am off I may have a smoke first thing on the balcony, otherwise I smoke in my lounge. My partner doesn't object and the pets don't seem bothered by the smoke. I do have to repaint now and again but really enjoy relaxing with a pipe after work.
As for resale, I don't plan on moving, but could easily decorate and steam the smoke away!

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Mainly indoors for me, with a HEPA filter running right next to me. I smoke on our deck too, usually while we're grilling dinner, but I don't enjoy it as much-it's either too cold, too hot or the d*mn mosquitoes are eating me alive.

steve

Lurker
Jun 15, 2012
I only smoke outdoors. Unfortunately, my garden is very small indeed and I don't have a porch or anything for cover, so you could say I'm a fair weather only pipe smoker. I would love to be able to sit in the armchair by the fire and smoke my pipe but my fiance says no so I have to respect her wishes

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Here in Orygun, smoking is prohibited in almost all establishments, and the few in which you can smoke usually ban cigars and pipes (not sure why, although, as a sometimes cigar smoker I can understand the cigars). That pretty much leaves home, but my special lady doesn't really care for smoke of any sort. She is gratious enough to "nose test" all my pipe tobaccos, and, while she doesn't really object, she does let me know which ones are the most bothersome to her. Suprisingly enough, only about 1/4 of them does she not accept, and they are all English/Latakia blends. The others she tolerates, but I know enough not to push the issue, so I generally smoke either in my shop or on the deck.
BTW, Bald Headed Teacher is one that she genuinely accepts....

seanavan

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2012
@checotah
Where in Oregon are you? In the Portland area there are a few places to smoke. Some of the McMenamins have smoking rooms (Great Trumps off Hawthorne is very nice) and there are some other places around (cigar lounge on Broadway, basement of Kells, etc.). Just an fyi...

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I smoke in the garage mostly. I'll smoke my pipe or have a cigar in my truck while headed somewhere. But never in the house. I have many that are allergic to the smoke. So, out of respect for them and my animals, I never smoke inside.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
In or out.
In my house, I only smoke in my den, which is set up so the A/C vents in, but there's no air returned to the rest of the house. Manage the smell there by keeping a window cracked while smoking and using smoke eater candles. With just one pipe a day or so, the room actually has a sort of mild, pleasant smell and it doesn't leach into the house at all.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I miss smoking inside! I only smoke outside at work which is fine an my patio which is horrible because it faces the bay and the wind always picks up heavily at night...blew the ash right out of my bowl last night...need to find a solution to that. My wife is pregnant and we both quit smoking cigs a few months back so I really don't want to bring it back inside. I do have a closet on my patio big enough and vented I may turn it into my smoking room but closed in gray walls seems like a terrible way to go :(

Status
Not open for further replies.