Smoking Filter Pipes Without a Filter - why the adapters ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Estate Pipes
New Cigars
3 Fresh Mike Sebastian Bay Pipes
3 Fresh Jared Coles Pipes
18 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have still few pipes which accepts removable metal stingers ,mostly French make but also one GBD the problem is that mortise in these pipes is hollowed open to accept those clumsy stringers ,shank walls are quite thin in these pipes, and when smoked without stringers ,the draw is wide open akin to Corn cobs whereas when smoked with stringers inserted they will unavoidable start collecting moisture, to remedy this I use to put some meerchaum chips in the bottom of the bowl or alternatively I'd use 4mm Denicotea paperfilter which aren't much of help but will restrict the draw in some degree

Reactions: OldRocko

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I always try to purchase my Savinelli pipes without a filter. If it has the filter I use the adapter on the straight pipes and leave the adapter out on the bents. It really depends on if I can get a pipe cleaner all the way through to the bowl. If you order a pipe direct from Savinelli they will convert a 6mm or 9mm pipe to a 3mm pipe for free. I've had that done multiple times.

Reactions: OldRocko
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I always try to purchase my Savinelli pipes without a filter. If it has the filter I use the adapter on the straight pipes and leave the adapter out on the bents. It really depends on if I can get a pipe cleaner all the way through to the bowl. If you order a pipe direct from Savinelli they will convert a 6mm or 9mm pipe to a 3mm pipe for free. I've had that done multiple times.
Thanks for the added info, did not know this previously, my understanding is that in the past,prior to 80 ies all Savinellis come with no filter

Reactions: Spa32

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
I have still few pipes which accepts removable metal stingers ,mostly French make but also one GBD the problem is that mortise in these pipes is hollowed open to accept those clumsy stringers ,shank walls are quite thin in these pipes, and when smoked without stringers ,the draw is wide open akin to Corn cobs whereas when smoked with stringers inserted they will unavoidable start collecting moisture, to remedy this I use to put some meerchaum chips in the bottom of the bowl or alternatively I'd use 4mm Denicotea paperfilter which aren't much of help but will restrict the draw in some degree
Hot smoke plus cold metal equals condensation.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

beargreasediet

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2021
The Prairie
Recently read a report suggesting that the tobacconite found in older American estate pipes often has a higher brisance. It is speculated that this is due to the casing used on codger blends pre-war.

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
I have 2 pipes that use 9mm filter. I've smoked one of them accidently without a filter and it smoked just as fine as with the filter. So the box with 200 filters will become tobacco remoisturerisers.
Without the filter the draw is too loose & baccy smokes too hot. The adapter reduced the hole size allowing less air {cooler smoke}