Smoking Filter Pipes Without a Filter - why the adapters ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
6 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
12 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
12 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've never had a pipe explode and I been smoking pipes for about 20 years , maybe I just been lucky
Oh… I was hoping it was clear that I was joking. I’ve never had a pipe explode, haha and I have all my adult teeth in place... I thought Embers was joking too.

On some of my pipes I’ve gone months without cleaning the filter chamber because I’m lazy. I’ve never had a pipe explode and I will never worry about it.

I guess anything is possible but rather than being lucky, I feel like the person who’s pipe exploded is unlucky, more of an anomaly than anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh… I was hoping it was clear that I was joking. I’ve never had a pipe explode, haha and I have all my adult teeth in place... I thought Embers was joking too.

On some of my pipes I’ve gone months without cleaning the filter chamber because I’m lazy. I’ve never had a pipe explode and I will never worry about it.

I guess anything is possible but rather than being lucky, I feel like the person who’s pipe exploded is unlucky, more of an anomaly than anything.
I've pulled the tobaccanite prank a few times over the years.?

The no teeth and glass eye are true though, and both were caused by an industrial explosion.

20210919_145921.jpg

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
The wide open filter chamber allows for more of the tobaccanite compound found in the smoke to soak into the briar. Easily removed with a pipe cleaner when the adapter is in place or a filterless pipe but in an empty filter chamber, can build to hazardous levels after just one smoke. Being and unstable compound when dry, tobaccanite can explode when exposed to heat or an open flame effectively destroying the pipe and causing possible injury to the smoker and those around them.

View attachment 113934

It’s similar to creosote that forms in chimney’s and is a very dangerous situation if not properly cleaned. But, you have to be a heavy smoker and enjoy sub-par tobacco, much like burning sub-par firewood. It’s like smoking American Club or OHM pipe tobacco…perhaps some of the peach or cherry flavors (cherry bombs…coincidence? No.)

my lack of experience compared to others on filters may be the difference maker - but, depends on the pipe. I don’t buy filters. And usually remove them from pipes if they have them. I have not minded the Brigham filters as much because they do not impede the flow as much as other filters, IMO. But - at end of day - doesn’t matter and is only personal preference. But - watch out for the explosive materials you keep close to your face…beware, be careful and enjoy.

• Love
Reactions: Chasing Embers

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I've pulled the tobaccanite prank a few times over the years.?

The no teeth and glass eye are true though, and both were caused by an industrial explosion.

View attachment 114148
Haha, okay good, I was beginning to worry about you. I will admit to looking “tobacconite” up and found nothing but again, ya just never know. Good prank!:LOL:

When I worked in a warehouse (my younger days) we always sent the new guy off looking for the ‘tote-stretcher’. We probably let that go on for way too long. The poor new guy would be looking all over the building for most of the day before we told him the truth.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Haha, okay good, I was beginning to worry about you. I will admit to looking “tobacconite” up and found nothing but again, ya just never know. Good prank!:LOL:

When I worked in a warehouse (my younger days) we always sent the new guy off looking for the ‘tote-stretcher’. We probably let that go on for way too long. The poor new guy would be looking all over the building for most of the day before we told him the truth.
I use a lot of digital calibration and measuring tools in my job. I once put an order in for a digital Henwaigh (hen weigh ??) scale. After a bit of back and forth communications, the plant president suggested that I outsource the job to Tyson's Chicken.? He knows me too well.?

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
I don't cause filters, and I normally don't use adapters, because I prefer the more open draw. But I've started using them on my cobs, just as a reinforcement for the tenon. Those stock bits are pretty soft, and after a few years the tenon can deform.

Reactions: OldRocko

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I have 2 pipes that use 9mm filter. I've smoked one of them accidently without a filter and it smoked just as fine as with the filter. So the box with 200 filters will become tobacco remoisturerisers.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
I sold a lot of Savinellis in my day. Actually there are several thousand out there that are stamped with my store name... So much for bragging... The bottom line is, I never could see any use for the adapters. puffy