PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I'm another one who sees the smoking as a lifestyle choice and the collecting part as a hobby. Of course both TAD & PAD could also be seen as addictions, good addictions in my opinion. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Definitely equal parts of both for me. Bringing back an old soldier, than getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor brings it all together for me.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I am not sure what to consider myself. I do not smoke because I want the nicotine, at least primarily, nor do I change my life to fit in smoking so I would not call it a lifestyle. On the other hand I do enjoy collecting pipes and tobacco, but I would not collect them if I didn't smoke them. I also do enjoy the effects that nicotine have even if I stick to low nicotine blends for the most part, so it is not a hobby. To me it is like drinking a good beer or glass of wine. I do it because I like to and I find enjoyment in finding a great tasting beer, wine, tobacco. So I guess I'm just going to call a source of enjoyment.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I am with you Sherlock. I do not like nicotine at all but, I do enjoy pipe smoking in the Fall and Winter. And, only once a week or less. Maybe a hobby for me.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I do find it interesting that some people do not like nicotine. I love the stuff, but I guess one can enjoy the flavor of tobacco without the nicotine. As much as i enjoy my pipes and smoking them, I take nasal snuff all day at work, when i need some vitamin N.

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
I think it's both a hobby and a life choice. The collecting and displaying of pipes clearly fit the description of a hobby. The smoking of the pipe is a life choice. What makes pipes diffent from cigars or cigarettes is that only pipes include that faucet that constitutes a hobby. The others are just life choices.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Pipe smoking is not a hobby or Life style choice, whatever that means? Pipe smoking is just what it is, pipe smoking, a method and medium for enjoying a tobbaco product.
Hey there Marc.

Framing the smoking of a pipe as a "Life Style Choice" is just fancying up what you are saying with the words method and medium.
What I had hoped to express in my OP was that I use tobacco because I want/need the nicotine. This need in turn is one aspect of my life. Or, one aspect of my life style.

I choose the pipe as my "method".

A "Life Style Choice".

In as much as I feel I need the tobacco I find it hard to refer to my use of the pipe as a hobby. Others though do refer to the smoking of a pipe as a hobby, hence the original question,"Curious as to the rest of you here, hobby or life style choice?"

(-:

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I've been trying to re-establish what pipe smoking is to me...
In early October, after 16+ years, I finally quit the cigs (cold turkey)! I decided that I didn't want to trade one form of nicotine for another...so I didn't use any other nicotine delivery method (gum, patch, or pipes).
After 6-7 weeks I decided to try my pipes again...although hesitantly. I really do not want to have to fight the addiction again. Since then, I might smoke a couple pipes a week...then go a couple weeks without smoking them.
I would love for pipe smoking to be a hobby for me...but I'm still trying to decide whether to continue or to quit tobacco altogether. Time will tell!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Are you a pipe smoker or just someone who smokes a pipe?

For some it's a hobby. For some it's a life style. For Marc it may be neither. For many it's both.
Sailing my boat is a hobby: seamanship is a lifestyle. The same idea might hold true for any of my other hobbies/life choices.
I am fortunate that I do not have to work for a living, but the life I have chosen is a lot of work.
I am a Christian. I am a pipe smoker. I am a sailor. I am a reader. I am a struggling artist/musician. I am...

I'd say that for me, my life style is just the sum of my hobbies and interests - it's the sum of all I do.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I enjoy toabaco in all forms and the pipe has many unique flavors to enjoy . With a cigar or cigarette , snuff or chew there is not much left over to collect . But a pipe requires tools of the trade and it quickly turns into a full blown hobby . You buy blends you dont not like and cellar them . You find blends you like and cellar them too. A pipe collection needs a rack and cleaners and tools . The next thing you know as the years pass you find many pipes that catch your eye .PAD@TAD wants become needs and just one more pipe and I will be happy . C'mon,get up, come on get down with the sickness . :crazy:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
To me, a hobby is something you do to pass the time enjoyably. For me, pipe smoking has a greater significance than that. It is a connection with a long line of men that goes back centuries, pipe smoking is relaxation, a tool for contemplation, but most of all a choice. There was no peer pressure to smoke a pipe, no one smokes a pipe to impress chicks, I chose the pipe because it called to me, I really do not know why, pipes just seemed to fit my personality. I bought my first pipe, a Dr. Grabow, when I was 16. I really can't explain why I stuck with it and got past all the tongue bite, some really god-awful tobaccos etc. I just seemed to know this was meant for me.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've never been a cigarette or cigar smoker. So, it's not a lifestyle thing in that way for me. I'd probably say it's a hobby. I love collecting the different pipe styles and blends and I love smoking them. I try to have one or two bowls a day, but if I go a day or two without one it isn't the end of the world. Since I only smoke aromatics it's a way for me to have a nice relaxing dessert or snack without the calories lol.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
There was no peer pressure to smoke a pipe, no one smokes a pipe to impress chicks, I chose the pipe because it called to me, I really do not know why, pipes just seemed to fit my personality.
Gotta agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.