PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
It's a Klose offset smoker.
I am in their website now, wow! You Americans do these things so much better than we'd ever hope for in Europe! Even though I'm Greek, and meat over coals is almost a religion in Greece, my eyes opened when I saw the different ways and gear you have for meat. Our preparation is plain by comparison - but still delicious.

• Love
Reactions: monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I enjoy smoking meat also. I've been using chuck roast lately. My smoker has a side portion for the heat.
The price of meat is stupid now days. Smoking meats used to be something anyone could afford to do. A brisket was $15, now they're $50+
Part of the problem is Covid, but with regard to brisket it's because they are in higher demand. BBQ has really taken off across the US the last 15 years. When those ungodly Pellet Smokers came out everyone and they're Uncle started to smoke Briskets.
Chuck roasts are the way to go these days without breaking the bank.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I am in their website now, wow! You Americans do these things so much better than we'd ever hope for in Europe! Even though I'm Greek, and meat over coals is almost a religion in Greece, my eyes opened when I saw the different ways and gear you have for meat. Our preparation is plain by comparison - but still delicious.
Keep in mind that Klose Smokers is in Houston Texas. BBQ is a religion in Texas. Most of us watched our parents and friends' families smoke meats from a very young age. It's in our blood. Klose Smokers are for serious Pit Masters. You won't find one in most of the back yards here in the US. But if you have the $ he'll be happy to crate one up and ship to you I'm sure.

Reactions: karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Keep in mind that Klose Smokers is in Houston Texas. BBQ is a religion in Texas. Most of us watched our parents and friends' families smoke meats from a very young age. It's in our blood. Klose Smokers are for serious Pit Masters. You won't find one in most of the back yards here in the US. But if you have the $ he'll be happy to crate one up and ship to you I'm sure.
Maybe when I retire :)

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
If what I read is true, BBQ had its origins with peoples who could not afford the more tender cuts of meat. If we followed this idea today, we might be able to find some good fatty, tough meat that is affordable.

My 15 year old smoker was less than $150 at Walmart. It has produced many smoked meats over the years. I used to source my own hickory, but now find it is ample stock at grocery stores.

I use quick lite charcoal and allow to whiten then add the soaked wood blocks.

Anyway, just saying that smoking doesn't need to be expensive.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
If what I read is true, BBQ had its origins with peoples who could not afford the more tender cuts of meat. If we followed this idea today, we might be able to find some good fatty, tough meat that is affordable.

My 15 year old smoker was less than $150 at Walmart. It has produced many smoked meats over the years. I used to source my own hickory, but now find it is ample stock at grocery stores.

I use quick lite charcoal and allow to whiten then add the soaked wood blocks.

Anyway, just saying that smoking doesn't need to be expensive.
Well yes, and no. Brisket is a very tough and fatty cut of beef, which is why it was so cheap a few years back. But like I said, everyone likes BBQ now and lot's of home grown BBQ enthusiast are doing it these days, so the demand has increased the price. But your right, you don't need an expensive smoker to smoke meat well. I have lots of friends who swear by, and smoke great meat from 55gal drum smokers they made themselves. Lot's of people also smoke great meats on Kettle type smokers.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Well yes, and no. Brisket is a very tough and fatty cut of beef, which is why it was so cheap a few years back. But like I said, everyone likes BBQ now and lot's of home grown BBQ enthusiast are doing it these days, so the demand has increased the price. But your right, you don't need an expensive smoker to smoke meat well. I have lots of friends who swear by, and smoke great meat from 55gal drum smokers they made themselves. Lot's of people also smoke great meats on Kettle type smokers.
I'd say hand on heart that I've smoked meats 2-3 times more than grilled them on my Weber Kettle.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Sweet! Do you have a smoker or are you using your oven?
I do have one of those Ungodly pellet smokers........... It's handy, but not ideal.
I'll be breaking out a 25 year old Brinkman charcoal smoker for the brisket. I use lump charcoal in it, with fruitwood chips for smoke. Usually trim the apple tree in the spring and use that for smoking.
Here's a pic of what I have, but mine's been well used and is beat up, but still gives good results.
1650306802405.png
Snowing here today in Ohio............. be a few days before I can get 'er done!!.............

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I do have one of those Ungodly pellet smokers........... It's handy, but not ideal.
I'll be breaking out a 25 year old Brinkman charcoal smoker for the brisket. I use lump charcoal in it, with fruitwood chips for smoke. Usually trim the apple tree in the spring and use that for smoking.
Here's a pic of what I have, but mine's been well used and is beat up, but still gives good results.
View attachment 140738
Snowing here today in Ohio............. be a few days before I can get 'er done!!.............
Those work well! I used to have one about 20yrs ago. I love apple wood! Point in fact, I love to use any kind of fruit wood and nut wood when I can. I use a lot of pecan, apple, and cherry wood for grilling, depending on the protein, but I use mostly all oak on big smokes with a few sticks of mesquite at the end. I wish I could get my hands on some peach, plum or avocado wood... great for grilling, wonderful for fish and delicate proteins.
Ya I could write a whole page on why I detest pellet smokers, but I won't. I also have a ceramic grill which I use for Chops, lamb, veal, pork and boneless Leg of Lamb. They work very well for that. I'm not keen on doing long smokes on them though.

Last edited:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Those work well! I used to have one about 20yrs ago. I love apple wood! Point in fact, I love to use any kind of fruit wood and nut wood when I can. I use a lot of pecan, apple, and cherry wood for grilling, depending on the protein, but I use mostly all oak on big smokes with a few sticks of mesquite at the end. I wish I could get my hands on some peach, plum or avocado wood... great for grilling, wonderful for fish and delicate proteins.
Ya I could write a whole page on why I detest pellet smokers, but I won't. I also have a ceramic grill which I use for Chops, lamb, veal, pork and boneless Leg of Lamb. They work very well for that. I'm not keen on doing long smokes on them though.
Yea, I hear you on the pellet grill. I bought it when I was working long hours, mainly for the convenience, when I didn't have the time for a proper BBQ session. I do like it for simple grilling- burgers, brats, etc,...... but nothing compares to the real thing!
I like to use oak too. I'll throw some in with the charcoal for both heat and smoke. But the fruitwoods seem to take it to another level.........

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I’m curious if anyone has smoked a top sirloin? They are a quick pan sear and short remaining finish, but if you could put on a smoker while using other cuts for 15 minutes, would it be worth the trouble?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
@monty55 since you’re clearly knowledgeable about cooking with fire, what’s your take on Kamados? They have a rabid following but for the life of me I can’t ever imagine dropping the money they require. I just can’t see the advantages.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I’m curious if anyone has smoked a top sirloin? They are a quick pan sear and short remaining finish, but if you could put on a smoker while using other cuts for 15 minutes, would it be worth the trouble?
Smoking is low and slow. Unless you want to eat it raw 15 minutes will barely get the outside warm at 270. Smoking is meant to take tough cuts of meat and make them tender through low heat and time. I think what you would want to do with a top sirloin is grill it, preferably over coals.
@monty55 since you’re clearly knowledgeable about cooking with fire, what’s your take on Kamados? They have a rabid following but for the life of me I can’t ever imagine dropping the money they require. I just can’t see the advantages.
Ceramic grills are wonderful if your serious about your grilled meats. I have a Primo Jr. which is ceramic like a Kamado and many others like that.

The advantage of a ceramic grill is you can get it very hot, up to 600-700 degrees. You can take a steak, brush veg oil all over it and flash fry it on the grill at those temps. You can also cook low and slow. They retain their heat like no other cookers. One of the great things about them is your meats stays much more juicy cooking on a ceramic.

The disadvantages are you must use charcoal. Lump is preferable. Absolutely no wood allowed. It gives off a smoke that permeates and ruins the ceramic. Same with liquid fire starter fuel, that's a big no no because it will permeate the ceramic and you'll never get the odor out. So use a propane torch starter or a charcoal chimney. Also, for a low slow long cook, when you want to add more coals you have to remove all your food, pull the grates off and add your charcoal. Thankfully you don't have to do that often because they burn lump charcoal for a very long time.

Like I said above, I love it for thick cut pork chops, or any pork chop really, Lamb chops and Veal chops, and small roasts. The meat stays so juicy. You put your coals on one side. Sear your meat off for 3-5 minutes at about 400 degrees over the coals then move it to indirect heat on the other side. Give it 10-20 min, depending on what it is, and it will be perfect. If you have the money and want to grill your butt off I highly recommend one. I prefer the Primo's because they are oval shaped and that shape lends itself well to grilling direct to indirect. The thickness of the ceramic is the same as a Kamado, and it cooks just as well, it's just a better shape IMO.

Last edited:

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I never thought of smoking a chunk roast.
It's the new thing, because it's affordable. If you're hankering for the flavor of smoked beef, it's a great option these days. I recommend the Chuck Roast, not to be confused with the Chuck Shoulder (roast), which are very very tough and will take longer to smoke and be very dry by the time they get tender.

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Smoking is low and slow. Unless you want to eat it raw 15 minutes will barely get the outside warm at 270. Smoking is meant to take tough cuts of meat and make them tender through low heat and time. I think what you would want to do with a top sirloin is grill it, preferably over coals.

Ceramic grills are wonderful if your serious about your grilled meats. I have a Primo Jr. which is ceramic like a Kamado and many others like that.

The advantage of a ceramic grill is you can get it very hot, up to 600-700 degrees. You can take a steak, brush veg oil all over it and flash fry it on the grill at those temps. You can also cook low and slow. They retain their heat like no other cookers. One of the great things about them is your meats stays much more juicy cooking on a ceramic.

The disadvantages are you must use charcoal. Lump is preferable. Absolutely no wood allowed. It gives off a smoke that permeates and ruins the ceramic. Same with liquid fire starter fuel, that's a big no no because it will permeate the ceramic and you'll never get the odor out. So use a propane torch starter or a charcoal chimney. Also, for a low slow long cook, when you want to add more coals you have to remove all your food, pull the grates off and add your charcoal. Thankfully you don't have to do that often because they burn lump charcoal for a very long time.

Like I said above, I love it for thick cut pork chops, or any pork chop really, Lamb chops and Veal chops, and small roasts. The meat stays so juicy. You put your coals on one side. Sear your meat off for 3-5 minutes at about 400 degrees over the coals then move it to indirect heat on the other side. Give it 10-20 min, depending on what it is, and it will be perfect. If you have the money and want to grill your butt off I highly recommend one. I prefer the Primo's because they are oval shaped and that shape lends itself well to grilling direct to indirect. The thickness of the ceramic is the same as a Kamado, and it cooks just as well, it's just a better shape IMO.
Thank you for a great reply! I am using the name Kamado to refer to the whole class, Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, Komodo, and Primo. They certainly have a learning curve as it sounds, and you probably need to get very good and clean charcoal, right? Once I found a nail in charcoal bought in Greece and tossed the bag.

I am so attached to my Kettle because first day I got it I smoked a pork shoulder using the snake method and it came out perfect. Next day did a two zone cook of pork chops, also came out great and it’s never failed me. Of course it is “entry level” but oh so good and punching above its weight in terms of price and practicality. I will get serious when I fxck off to Greece for retirement. I once showed my wife an offset smoker and she said it looks like an old train engine ;)

Currently living in a rented flat, and although grilling is a big thing here in Switzerland, literally nobody uses charcoal or wood. It’s even explicitly forbidden in the lease contract!

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
It's the new thing, because it's affordable. If you're hankering for the flavor of smoked beef, it's a great option these days. I recommend the Chuck Roast, not to be confused with the Chuck Shoulder (roast), which are very very tough and will take longer to smoke and be very dry by the time they get tender.
I will definitely try it.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
you probably need to get very good and clean charcoal, right? Once I found a nail in charcoal bought in Greece and tossed the bag.
Yes indeed. Only buy lump hardwood charcoal. Over here in the States they have something called "Cowboy Lump Charcoal" which is cheaper but should be avoided at all costs. They make this lump charcoal with used construction timber, such as plywood and 2x4's which are softwood pine, and the plywood has glue throughout it. Just very nasty stuff to cook your food with. Always buy the hardwood lump.