PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
There seems at times to be a sentiment here that the “proper” way to smoke a pipe is to have virtually NO smoke noticeable ever.

My take on the subject is that...... both “virtually no smoke” smoking sessions..... and “voluminous” smoking sessions have their value and place. I happen to do both.... so my opinion should probably not come as a surprise. ?

For me, the “virtually no smoke” sessions arise when I tend to be feeling more quiet and contemplative. And, for me, the “voluminous” sessions arise more when I am active, doing something more action oriented, often outdoors, or talking a lot.

For me, both are enjoyable.... in different ways.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
When I was in the Army, there were several phases of smoke that we went through. As privates, we got smoked constantly, for doing the kind of dumb stuff that privates always do. After some maturity, authority, and rank, I started being the one administering the smokings. After yet more seasoning, I got to the point where I would direct others to administer the smokings. At that point, I could pop smoke, and not have to be part of the smoke sessions any more. There were times where we'd smoke those soldiers in a room called "the hot box", and it'd get so smokey the walls would sweat.
A great practical joke would be to make the new cats go take exhaust samples off the hmmwv tailpipe, or even worse, off a Bradley exhaust. If that was going down, the driver would certainly start up the smoke generator and asphyxiate the poor bastards, good times.
A real bummer was having to monitor the burn pit, or stir the burn ****ters. That's the kind of smoke you best not inhale, especially when you hear the bugs poppin'.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I like smoke and since I retro hale most of the time I create a decent amount of smoke that goes through my nose. If I want to blow smoke rings, that creates a pretty good amount of smoke. I don't breath smoke as I get little to no flavor that way.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Over concern for manliness often denotes lack of. I am descended from Shawnee Indians and Kentucky mountain folk. I collect H&R shotguns and run a still in those same mountains.

View attachment 78161

You know the definition of a Virgin in Kentucky, right? That's a 13 year old girl that can outrun her brothers and 1st cousins.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes I do. I guess I'm an old sentimental fool. I cry for many things, sometimes I weep for the world changing so: becoming a place where there is not gentleness for being a gentleman. Maybe I am just a nostalgic pipe dreamer but I can't be the only one!
Lawrence would smile on you today

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I cried three times up to and including 28, but not since. Can't do it. (Sorry not smokey but also not long.)

Reactions: BROBS

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
There seems at times to be a sentiment here that the “proper” way to smoke a pipe is to have virtually NO smoke noticeable ever.

My take on the subject is that...... both “virtually no smoke” smoking sessions..... and “voluminous” smoking sessions have their value and place. I happen to do both.... so my opinion should probably not come as a surprise. ?

For me, the “virtually no smoke” sessions arise when I tend to be feeling more quiet and contemplative. And, for me, the “voluminous” sessions arise more when I am active, doing something more action oriented, often outdoors, or talking a lot.

For me, both are enjoyable.... in different ways.
Puffing smoke is half my enjoyment. The other halves are room note, flavor, relaxation, and companions.