Smoke, Beards, and Wives (Not Bearded Wives!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
My wife is ok with the room note of some aromatics, but hates the smell of smoke in my beard…which is now much fuller than my mug shot. I got this tip from someone else, and it has worked wonders: shampoo the beard less frequently. I now shampoo it just once a week, but use conditioner daily. After showering I rub beard oil in underneath, then work beard balm into it. Beard stays soft but surprisingly not greasy/oily and doesn’t hold the smoke smell. For what it’s worth, I use matching scented oil/balm from Grave Before Shave. She stopped complaining. About the smoke smell, anyway.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I haven't shaved in about 7 years. Beard oils and balms seem to save my love life and make my beard feel and look relatively decent. And the fact that my wife likes the smell of pipe tobacco doesn't hurt.

Reactions: Jacob74

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
My wife is ok with the room note of some aromatics, but hates the smell of smoke in my beard…which is now much fuller than my mug shot. I got this tip from someone else, and it has worked wonders: shampoo the beard less frequently. I now shampoo it just once a week, but use conditioner daily. After showering I rub beard oil in underneath, then work beard balm into it. Beard stays soft but surprisingly not greasy/oily and doesn’t hold the smoke smell. For what it’s worth, I use matching scented oil/balm from Grave Before Shave. She stopped complaining. About the smoke smell, anyway.

Now THIS is the type of advice I was looking for. Not so much the browbeating of "Stop smoking or shave" or "You have a passive aggressive wife" from complete strangers. :ROFLMAO:

Thank you kindly, sir!

Reactions: Parsimonious Piper
Right now mostly Aros. She likes the smell of the pipe (outside), just doesn't like her mouth on the smoke, so to speak.
I have noticed that aromatics don't smell so good after a short amount of time after smoking them. I used to turn to aromatics when I thought my wife would appreciate them more, being that she usually like the smell of vanilla and fruits and such. But, shortly after finishing, the aroma of the room smells terrible. I blame the burleys used, or maybe just the chemistry of mixing a burley with the toppings.

But, when I smoke a nice straight Virginia, the smells seems to get even better in the room over time. It's funny how our perception of what will smell good is so different from what really happens.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your experiences.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I have noticed that aromatics don't smell so good after a short amount of time after smoking them. I used to turn to aromatics when I thought my wife would appreciate them more, being that she usually like the smell of vanilla and fruits and such. But, shortly after finishing, the aroma of the room smells terrible. I blame the burleys used, or maybe just the chemistry of mixing a burley with the toppings.

But, when I smoke a nice straight Virginia, the smells seems to get even better in the room over time. It's funny how our perception of what will smell good is so different from what really happens.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your experiences.

I recently discovered it was the burley that was causing the tension between me and my wife.. specifically goopy aromatics.

I was feeling pretty hopeless with the whole situation, as we don't usually have these kinds of problems.. I fired up a bowl of blending perique, and she had no complaints.

Moral of the story is, keep trying.

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
I recently discovered it was the burley that was causing the tension between me and my wife.. specifically goopy aromatics.

I was feeling pretty hopeless with the whole situation, as we don't usually have these kinds of problems.. I fired up a bowl of blending perique, and she had no complaints.

Moral of the story is, keep trying.

That's interesting! I have some "lightly cased" MacB Mixture Scottish and Stokkebye Navy Flake on the way...haven't fully committed to the non-aromatic world just yet; expanding my palate as I go. No latakia bombs or strong periques in the hopper for me yet...

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
My wife is really only bothered by Latakia mixtures on my face (i'm a clean shaven baby man), but it sounds like other blend types might cause a problem if I had a beard.

Reactions: SoliDeoGloria

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Apparently, for some people the purpose of their beard is camouflage. Used to work with a guy with a ferociously red head of hair and full beard, but one day he showed up to work with no beard at all, and we discovered he didn't have any chin to speak of.

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
Apparently, for some people the purpose of their beard is camouflage. Used to work with a guy with a ferociously red head of hair and full beard, but one day he showed up to work with no beard at all, and we discovered he didn't have any chin to speak of.
My problem is I have a chin but over the years I seem to have picked up an extra one ;)