PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
“Land lines”, by definition are hard wired communications. Interestingly, electric power is also hard wired. Here In New England, when power goes out, so does the land line. Mostly from trees taking out lines. Cell service is more reliable now in the 21st Century, and I’m happy to have the choice & diversity of communications! Yes, most cell towers now have standby/generator/battery back up power...
Phones, like cars have changed with the times. No more carburetors, points & plugs, drum brakes. Electronic fuel injection and software are the new tools in the tuner world...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A necessity for work. I went from a pager to cell phone when they came out. I lost mine in New Orleans a few weeks ago, that was the worst two days of my life. Sitting on the plane, ready to fly home, everyone is one their phone and I told my wife, "wish I had a phone" (she had hers of course). I do know when to turn it off, but cant imagine living without it. Today, we took a trip to some VA wineries. An Ebay auction popped up that I was watching. I bid and won the pipe. Addicted...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It doesn't encourage me that smart/cell phones are a key way to track people and listen in and even watch their activities. I doubt anyone is monitoring my life on my flip phone, but the mere concept of the intrusion made possible by our "wonderful" technology tends to put me off. Paranoia isn't a hobby of mine, but I do wonder whats wrong with people who'd nose into others' lives. The whole social media issue.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Electronic fuel injection and software are the new tools in the tuner world...
One of the biggest reasons for automotive recalls in the past twenty years and why new cars are seen broken down on the highway.

Mar 1, 2014
Tried a smart phone for a while. Didn't last that long - went back to my flip phone. Longer batter life, and I'm not ruled by an device. Most of the time I keep it turned off, ready to make outgoing calls at a moments notice lol.

Try getting a cheap Chinese phone. I’ve been buying from the company “Umidigi”, who produces phones with a very clean OS and they like to put HUGE batteries in those things, while often charging under $200.

I’m another of those people who almost exclusively uses a phone for alarms and camera besides its intended purpose, but you’re sure to find some very useful aspects of a Smartphone, it certainly is nice to have Google Maps on the odd occasion you need it (works great for driving directions), you don’t even need mobile Data, as long as you set your route with a Wi-Fi connection before you leave it’ll download the relevant area, and I’m pretty sure you can set it to permanently cache a given section of the countryside if you’re planning on exploring an area (Depending on how much memory storage you want to use).
And lately I’ve been using some Translator apps a lot to help learn new languages when I have a few moments of downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.