PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Condor, I've been using a Blackberry for about 6 years now. I'm not really sure what you mean about the frequency being changed and yours not working. This past weekend, my buddy gave me his old Blackberry Classic that he had sitting in his drawer. I should be good for another 10 years or so, now. Texting and phone calls primarily. Only 250 MB of data for emergency bids on fleabay when I'm not near a PC.

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
Tried a smart phone for a while. Didn't last that long - went back to my flip phone. Longer batter life, and I'm not ruled by an device. Most of the time I keep it turned off, ready to make outgoing calls at a moments notice lol.

I’m of the younger generation so I’m used to having a smart phone on me at all times and being accessible by work and family.
Plus I use a CGM for my diabetes which links directly to my phone, which in of itself justifies the smart phone, I can check my blood sugar 480 times a day!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Anyone familiar with me through this site knows that I have only basic technical literacy. I did make it to the new improved Pipesmagazine site, so there's that. I used a computer at work for decades, but with a poor introduction, back when tech training was in vast demand and hence not good. Phone-wise, I carry a flip phone in case of emergency but mostly to consult with my wife on the details of grocery shopping. She has an iPhone, and we have a landline still. The fun game aspect of devices unfortunately completely eludes me. I think the thought processes in designing devices is not akin to my mental processes, or nothing I've cultivated. I know this is a primitive, but my acculturation to phones was in the rotary phone days, when the use was simple, and repairs were requested of professionals. When the phone went awry, I wasn't expect to take training as a lineman. I've spent a lot of time and effort trying to be a better user of devices, and I use them all the time. But they are not especially enticing to me, at least not the endless new uses and functions that delight people in the first halves of their lives.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Warning!
For those who have only a smart phone and no land line, The only reliable phone is a analog one (read dial type) during a electrical black out like we are now having in Northern California.

We are plugging in and using our old Princess phones at present.:eek:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
loneredtree, good point! We use our one corded landline phone to report our power failures to the power company. Of course the several cordless units go dead. The cell phones (iPhone and flip phone) might work, might, but can't be charged.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Warning!
For those who have only a smart phone and no land line, The only reliable phone is a analog one (read dial type) during a electrical black out like we are now having in Northern California.

It used to be that the phone company always had standby power, and if so, push buttons/digital would work. (And some power is needed regardless of being analog or not)

Makes me wonder to what degree-if any- cell towers have backup power.

Warning!

that’s what we had growing up, when the power went out we used the old Telly to call and check restoration time/make sure everyone else was ok. That was a hard line into the house and at some points our only contact during strong storms

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have a smart phone but am not “connected” to it as my wife and some of my other family members are. I use it as a tool but it is not a key part of entertainment or relationships for me. That said, I can still get absorbed by its digital offerings. That is more my personality than the device, I also get over absorbed in completely “unplugged” activities and interests.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Warning!

Duly noted.

I maintain a landline for just such emergencies. I can simulate pulse tones with digital devices, but I’ve considered getting a real dial phone. Now I’m considering more seriously ...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Duly noted.

I maintain a landline for just such emergencies. I can simulate pulse tones with digital devices, but I’ve considered getting a real dial phone. Now I’m considering more seriously ...
It used to be that the phone company always had standby power, and if so, push buttons/digital would work. (And some power is needed regardless of being analog or not)

Makes me wonder to what degree-if any- cell towers have backup power. Can anyone address these points?

Reactions: ophiuchus

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Once you've all been corralled into Smart Cities, in your micro-apartments, and have your Neuro-Link implants, there'll be nothing more to worry about.

Until they send in the robots...then all bets are off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.