PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
There are already tons of people posting about 'drops' on social media & forums (including the retailers themselves), a bunch of people running real-time alert bots, & sometimes you'll see people posting about "XXX brand is sitting in customs!", which has always turned out to be accurate every time I've seen it. These things have been happening more & more, not less & less, as time has gone on. Relying on Emails definitely puts you at a disadvantage if you want something hard-to-get & don't have a better plan, & relying on others in the same boat to PM me is probably not a better plan.
Call me a luddite, but I find this mildly depressing-- only because I'm not a social media user (by choice). This is like a new cold war with ever increasing technology and countermeasures, counter-countermeasures, counter-counter-counter measures.... My personality leans toward introversion and the whole social media thing holds no allure for me or running alert bots to serve my economic interests. I'm lucky to have a moderate cellar, started some time ago, which should last a good while given my smoking rate. I do have desire for a certain type of hard to get tobacco, but I'm not gonna start lurking on social media or gin up alert bots. I'll take another avenue or just suck hind tit. C'est la vie, no?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipe forums are as social media as I get. No facebook or whatever else is out there.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's on at least three other forums. This was the last place I noticed it on.
...Other.....forums?
Mutiny of the worst kind my friend. Your lucky I like you or else I'd tell THE Captain....
If I ever decide to change my mind however, I DO take bribes....

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Not all jobs provide that opportunity, Embers. Some folks are squirreled away in vaults working with classified data, can't have a phone in the work space and their computer activity is monitored; or at sea for four months at a time with limited access to alert bots.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Meh, I know I know...
I have seen years ago, that's there's people that post the same thing at the same time on other forums. I just don't understand it. But to each his own.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
And Embers, if it wasn't strictly against my railroads rules, I would be on my phone all day as well. However, I enjoy the 12-15 hour breaks from it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They ignore me because I can fix the older machines that maintenance won't touch. :mrgreen:

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Sable, yes I'm going to put more effort in to that. We have one local B&M, but it doesn't stock any tinned products and only has a few bulk types that are blended on site and none I'm interested in.
balkisobrains, keep those plans close-hold, brother! :) 8)

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Thank you OP for posting that Rattrays is available. I don’t check the sites each day and possibly because of you I was able to get a tin of Macbeth which is my Saturday morning smoke lately.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try to do my part by not jumping on rare blends. I'd be a good rare tobacco smoker since I smoke moderately and could make it last for a long time. But I favor blends that are meeting demand and are widely distributed. Out-of-stock? Not a problem, and don't email me when it comes in. I'm being sardonic, but I think a little consumer push-back is good for blenders, builds character.

Status
Not open for further replies.