PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Was able to get a tin of Stirling Flake. Check if any of your favourites is back in stock!

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
There also seemed like some great 60-80 dollar estate pipes for people looking for value.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
They also got in some GH. Picked up half pounds of Scotch Mixture, Best Brown and Balkan Mixture. It seems like they didn't get in some of the big favorites, though.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Do we really need to start a post every time a tobacco drops? I don’t believe in doing that, you’re not only alerting everyone on the forums but all the lurkers who flip this stuff, snap your finger and poof it’s gone. Just my opinion though. I’m not singling the OP out as if you didn’t post this someone else would have, I’m just saying, maybe we need to rethink posting these kinds of threads, I mean, that is why they have email alerts no?

Jun 27, 2016
Between social media, forums, & guys running inventory programs, good luck relying on e-mail alerts.

:puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ve got a love/hate relationship with forums but I just hate Facebook.

Between social media, forums, & guys running inventory programs, good luck relying on e-mail alerts.

:puffy:

That’s my whole point though, if we put a stop to that madness, email alerts might serve a purpose again. I’m just a dreamer.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Grabbed two tins of Black Mallory just in time, midway through my last tin as we speak.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
hawky, I tend to agree with you. A similar situation exits in travel/real estate type media. All these freelance writers are out there competing with one another selling articles to Mr./Ms consumer who are sitting around in their recliners with a cold beer reading this stuff and then rush out to visit/buy up/overpopulate/drive up prices and basically ruin what was once a well kept secret and unique. The rush to get on board ruins the place, sucks the character out of it and this entity ceases to be the quaint unique thing it once was. There's no discovery anymore. Just read the article, hang by your phone, hang on your computer etc., etc. So, in our situation, if you can't have your phone in your work space, your computer activity is monitored, you're out doing tractor work-- whatever-- you're screwed.
Of course, it's a double edged sword, though,right? I'm certain the manufactures and retailers love selling out so quickly-- good for business. Elsewhere, property gets sold, houses get built, additional taxes are collected, more people to buy stuff, more traffic lights, traffic slows to a crawl, real estate, taxes and the cost of living go up, the cool places you once had access to are privatized, fragmentation takes hold... It's a brave new world, buddy and I empathize with you!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Very well said, Cranse Iron, I’m glad somebody gets my point. It really screws over all the responsible folk who actually set up these email alerts because not everyone can spend all their time on the forums. By the time they get their email alerts, they go to buy up something they’ve been waiting on for who knows how long but it’s sold out every time, even if they check the site the second they get the email alert. I think it would be much more classy if people wanted to help out their friends to pm them rather telling the whole world. A bunch of strangers that probably never even tried the stuff before are buying it all up while the real patrons are getting hosed.

cranseiron

May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Well, Embers, I was more trying to play the role of dispassionate observer. One has to admit tobacco buying behavior is changing as legislation grinds down it's boot heel, leading manufactures close up shop, a respected magazine locks the door for the last time. A mild mob mentality is taking shape and it's every man for himself and the hell with women and children. Have enough tobacco to last a lifetime? "What's that you say? A sale? Hey, I'm in for fifty more pounds just cuz I can!" I see a have and have not situation developing as people panic buy to fill the cellar and get a warm fuzzy from the score. And justifiably so! You miss out repeatedly because of previously mentioned reasons, maybe beyond one's control, and one begins to feel left out. I don't begrudge it, but I do find the behavior interesting. It's economics at its elemental level-- how do people get what they need or want. Throw some interesting variables in there to create a shortage and, presto! let the show begin. I shouldn't post this link, but it is interesting. And, I'm not casting aspersions at anyone. This is a free market and anyone can buy whatever and however much they have a mind to. But, you do have to admit shortages or perceived shortages create certain behaviors. So, no flu here.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/158/mob-mentality

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's true that a mob mentality caused this problem...it is the anti-tobacco mob. And they were created by the social engineers.
If it weren't for that mob, there would be no need to cellar tobacco other than to age it.
Those feeling the need to buy now while they still can are not the mob...they are being chased by the mob.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So, no flu here.
I was mostly giving David a little grief. :mrgreen:
One has to admit tobacco buying behavior is changing as legislation grinds down it's boot heel
I've just been jumping on sales to help with my wife's cellar.

Jun 27, 2016
hawky454

=( =( =(
There are already tons of people posting about 'drops' on social media & forums (including the retailers themselves), a bunch of people running real-time alert bots, & sometimes you'll see people posting about "XXX brand is sitting in customs!", which has always turned out to be accurate every time I've seen it. These things have been happening more & more, not less & less, as time has gone on. Relying on Emails definitely puts you at a disadvantage if you want something hard-to-get & don't have a better plan, & relying on others in the same boat to PM me is probably not a better plan.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I don't think anyone has more 'right' to buy a scarce tobacco. Yeah it sucks that some of us have real jobs and kids to take care of, and hobbies that don't involve sitting in front of a screen all day. Oh wait, that doesn't suck at all. I do dislike it when people try to be cool posting about 'drops'. I pretty much feel the same way when I see some April Vokey carpboy posting up my favorite fishing spots on YouTube and Instagram.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yeah it sucks that some of us have real jobs and kids to take care of, and hobbies that don't involve sitting in front of a screen all day.
I'm running three injection mold presses at the moment, and still looking at my phone every few minutes. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.