PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
The usual lighting method is quick: light the bowl enough that the flame sustains itself—whether done in two steps, with a first charring light, or not.

I like to avoid tamping and lighting the bowl fully until a good bit of the top layer has been smoked. I light lightly, smoke a bit, let it go out as it will since it hasn’t been tamped, and repeat. I keep this up for a while, until top layer is burned, and I’m ready to start the bowl in earnest. That’s when I tamp.

I enjoy this slow lighting method, and encourage you to try it out if you haven’t. The taste of the relatively loose tobacco on top is a nice introduction, different than the tobacco below. It extends the smoke-time, too.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I don't know that I've ever read the "usual" lighting method is quick - and I guess quick is a relative term, but if what you describe works for you then that's how you should do it. A nice gentle lighting doesn't have to be slow for me. The other day a bowl I lit took off nicely from the first light, last night one required a couple of relights to get going. I don't intentionally "delay" tamping, so to speak. Depends on tobacco/conditions. As Supertramp says, "Now some they will, and some they won't, and some you just can't tell." :) Actually typing this makes me think about something I've finally gotten past thinking about, so it's nice to know that I really don't any more, but I'm always interested as being relatively new to all this in reading about what works for others.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I think you're right, though I didn't really think about it. That's kind of what I've been doing. 4 or 5 slow lights - without a tamp until only lightly on the last light while I'm drawing on it. Seems to pull the new ember into the load. I do think it's a pleasant beginning!

Reactions: MtnGeo and dunnyboy

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Sometimes I wait a little too for that tamping.

Whatever strikes my mood at the moment.

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Great suggestion. I'm going to try it. I think something similar happens when smoking flakes. It's a little like incense sticks that burn slowly from the top.

Reactions: kcghost

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
@Philosopiper, I tried your slow light technique with fresh tobacco in a new pipe. The first few whiffs of smoke were sublime. It took a few quick relights to get it going but the smoke was very flavorful. I have done this without paying attention in the past, and certainly with stuffed flakes, but it was good to be deliberate about it and attentive to the result.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Depends on the tobacco perhaps?. A slow light comes with Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream by default I'm afraid. :LOL:

Reactions: dunnyboy

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
Do a similar technique and so curious as to the tobacco blend and moisture content that your using. Always something different to try. Very happy this works for you.
I do this with any blend, Nolan. I’m smoking mostly EMP and OGS lately, though. Not noticeably moist, but not crispy dry. Cheers.