PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
It's really strange, I have a tough time with many codger blends, which tend to be burley-based. They leave my mouth super dry and coated with something, and irritate my throat a bit. So I've been avoiding burley-forward blends with that in mind.

But Irish Flake and I get along famously. I, too, have been thinking of it as a DFK blend, and just skipped over the burley in the ingredient list, and I smoke at least one bowl a week of it with no ill effects on my mouth or throat.

Perhaps it's something in the casing or topping of the codgers, and not the burley at all. Oh dear. I'd hate to think that burleys are now open to me, because I've been saving so much by not even considering burley blends for my TAD...
I’m not a fan of American burleys, but love IF.
I’d posit that the Scandi and other Euro blends use imperial leaf, because I really like them-from IF to the Gawiths, and right on down to the cheap stuff like 2Daughters Ryback.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Coming in a bit late this week, but this time around I've got two reviews to share! The first blend of the week for this week was very much not something I could smoke anytime so I grabbed a second blend from the shelf to smoke everyday as well.

And oh, before we get started I'd just like to take a moment to thank @SmokingInTheWind for his very generous donation of two gorgeous Country Gentleman cobs with Forever Stems to my pipe rotation! It's no secret that Country Gentlemans are possibly my all time favorite pipes and I'm thrilled to have a couple more to add to my rotation! You can see them in the second review below.puffy

Blend of the Week #5: Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky

IMG_8045~2.JPG

For me both the tin note and flavor of HH Bold Kentucky are surprisingly subdued, it seems more like a mellow Kentucky than a bold one! It lacks the potent barbeque pit hickory smokey, spicy, sour flavor profile of it's less nicotine rich sibling blend HH Old Dark Fired, but what it does have instead is a softly woody and just slightly smokey flavor profile that isn't terribly complex and doesn't have much to offer beyond those two notes but still quite enjoyable.

It's dark and earthy yet still gentle and smooth, at least until you retrohale it; at which point this blend will quickly remind you just how strong it is with a powerful sting through the sinuses. The flavor actually reminds me quite a bit of Gawith Hoggarth's Dark Bird's Eye or Kendal Kentucky, which is probably due to both Bold Kentucky and the Gawith blends employing African dark fired leaf in addition to the American dark fired Burleys typically found in Dark Fired Kentucky based blends.

In terms of strength, on my nicotine content scale of mild to extra strong this one gets a well deserved "extra strong" rating that puts it right up there with all the Gawith ropes, twists, and dark flakes that contain enough nicotine to tranquilize an above average sized rhinoceros. After just 10 minutes of smoking HH Bold Kentucky I really have to put the pipe down and be done, since even with my pack-a-day nicotine tolerance and a good meal on my stomach I start getting pretty woozy feeling and my insides begin to feel a little unsettled if I continue smoking past the 10 minute mark. It's really rare for me to find a blend that feels too strong for me to handle, but HH Bold Kentucky is honestly a bit much for me and even those super short 10 minute smokes waylaid me with nicotine sickness a couple times this past week. This may actually be the strongest blend I've ever smoked in terms of nicotine content!

That leads me to a bit of a problem I had with this blend, in that it's too strong for me to smoke even a small bowl of in one sitting but it also doesn't relight terribly well and turns quite harsh if set down and relit an hour or two later. I don't recall ever having that problem with it's sibling blend Old Dark Fired, but Bold Kentucky gets a little too harsh for me to continue smoking if I put it down and try coming back to it later.

With the relight issue and it's absolutely kick-your-butt nicotine content in mind I'm sad to say that HH Bold Kentucky isn't a keeper for me, though I do recall really enjoying and not having any particular qualms with it's fairly easygoing yet strangely more flavorful companion blend HH Old Dark Fired; so I think that one might be a winner for me when I eventually get around to having it as a blend of the week!

Blend of the Week #6: Capstan Original Navy Cut (Blue)

IMG_8222~2.JPG

There's many flavors a Virginia tobacco can have. Bright Virginias can taste grassy, hay-like, lemony or citrusy, like green or black tea, floral, and can even have wisps of sweetness that taste just like honey sometimes. Darker stoved Virginias can be bready and savory, fruity like a plum or other dark stone fruit, and often lean heavier into the green and black tea notes. Red Virginias have their own flavors too, and can be woody, tangy, ketchupy, vinegary, vegetal, or taste like the aroma of damp leaf litter in the autumn. There can be some crossover between the three as well, and which characteristics stand out most often comes down to how the manufacturer chooses to case or top the blend to accentuate different qualities of the leaf.

Capstan Blue is a rather complex Virgina blend that has many of those flavor notes! The primary note I get from both the tin aroma and the flavor of the smoke is a vegetal one, which reminds me a lot of a dark vegetable bullion without all the salt. I get the combined flavors of tomatoes, celery, carrots, and potatoes and it has a very natural carrot'y sweetness; but you can also find green and black tea as well as fresh baked or toasted white bread flavors and the occasional bit of lemon. The lemon becomes especially prominent through the last third of the bowl. In short though, Capstan Blue tastes like a whole bunch of things you can eat and it's no wonder Tolkien and many others have enjoyed this blend so much over the past century. It really drags your tongue through the garden!

I do suspect that a lot of the prominent vegetable flavors present come from whatever topping is used on Capstan Blue, since it's a really unique flavor combination that I've never tasted in any pure Virginia blends other than Capstan Blue and Gold and a fresh tin will be a lot more veggieful (I don't think that's a real word but I like it and am using it anyway) tasting than one that's been opened and aged in a Ball jar for a year; but it works really well and I don't think non-aromatic smokers would find it offensive at all. It's not one of those, "Eww, this has a topping!" sort of situations for smokers who are adverse to added flavors in their tobaccos, it's more of a, "Oh, this Virginia is a lot more vegetal tasting than most!" scenario. Whatever topping is in use here seems to just bring that particular natural flavor aspect of the Virginias to the forefront.

Mechanically it's a very well behaved blend, whether you choose to rub it out or just fold and stuff the flakes, smoking clean and dry and leaving very little moisture in the bowl, though as with all blends containing a significant quantity of bright Virginia you'll want to keep it burning slow and cool to avoid the acidity of the tobacco nipping at your tongue. The prominent vegetal note can turn acrid and unpleasant tasting if the tobacco gets burning too hot as well, so best to keep this blend smouldering low and slow. As with almost all pure Virginias the room note from Capstan Blue is quite pleasant, like bread baking in the oven with a little bit of toastiness, so you shouldn't get much in the way of complaints smoking this around others.

The nicotine content is on the lower end of medium and is pleasantly relaxing without ever becoming overbearing, even when multiple pipefuls are smoked back to back. It's a pretty standard pure Virginia in that regard, which is part of why I enjoy this genre of tobacco so much. It's something you can sip on all day and feel relaxed and at ease without ever having to worry about how long you've been smoking it for or the possibility of nicotine sickness creeping in.

All that said, after smoking it for a week is Capstan Blue a keeper for me? Honestly that's a toughie! On one hand I am an enjoyer of pure Virginias and Capstan Blue is a really unique one with the vegetal flavor it's got going on, but on the other hand that vegetal topping can turn a little acrid tasting now and then and I found it really off-putting every time it did. Considering that there are other pure Virginias I know I really like that don't have any added topping to potentially turn foul tasting I think I'm going to give Capstan Blue a pass, though it was pretty close to being a keeper and I think it would have been were there not other pure Virginias I prefer. I definitely get why so many people enjoy this blend though, and I'd consider mandatory to try at least once for anyone with a taste for pure Virginias!

For next week I've got a pretty interesting blend lined up, in that it's an aromatic but one that isn't sweet! In fact, it's rather tart and a little sour, with a very realistic and true to life cherry flavor that isn't cough syrupy at all. Say hello to...

Mac Baren 7 Seas Red Blend

20231004131955_IMG_2883~4.JPG

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Blend of the Week #7: Mac Baren 7 Seas Red Blend

IMG_8298~2.JPG

After a year in a Ball jar the cherry flavor has reduced a little in strength compared to what I remember when I had previously smoked it last autumn, though it's still quite present and very noticeable. There's no sweetness or cough syrup flavor to be found here though, the cherry used in this blend is a slightly tart and sour natural cherry flavor like taking a sip of unsweetened Montmorency or Morello cherry juice. It's not a sweet black cherry flavor, this is most definitely a tart cherry flavor like the kind used in baking pies but before any sugar is added.

Fairly equal in strength to the cherry flavor is a delightful mix of mellow Burleys and Virginias, which lends a bit of dark earthy nutty body to the blend along with brighter notes of grass and hay. It's all very well balanced and you taste the Burleys, Virginias, and tart cherry notes in every puff. It's a very different style of blend than most cherry aromatics where almost all you taste is the cherry topping, in 7 Seas Red you really get a lot of natural tobacco flavors working together harmoniously with the cherry top note.

Altogether the flavor reminds me a lot of a much more refined and higher quality version of Middleton's old discontinued Cherry Blend. It's got a very similar tart cherry profile but with more depth of flavor to the Burleys and Virginias, and none of the bite that Middleton's offering was practically synonymous with. Speaking of the mechanics, along with burning down to a clean white ash and leaving little to no moisture lingering in the bowl, 7 Seas Red is impeccably smooth like few other blends I've ever smoked. There are no rough edges whatsoever and my sinuses don't feel so much as a tingle even after retrohaling a large bowl for an hour straight. Even when puffed quite aggressively it refuses to turn harsh or develop any off flavors.

This is a true "all day smoke" for me, though the nicotine content may be a touch too high for the average pipe smoker to puff it all day. In a pleasant surprise for such a smooth and gentle aromatic, it's actually got a nicotine content that I'd rate as a solid medium and puffing on it for an hour will have you feeling very laid back. The room note is quite nice as well, toasty like fresh baking bread and very inoffensive to just about anyone you might choose to smoke it around. It's not going to turn heads and make anyone go, "Oooh, what is that!?" like Captain Black might, but I don't think it's going to bother anyone but the most belligerent anti-smoker either.

So is it a keeper for me? On paper it sure should be, since it's a blend that just gets everything right in my book, but after smoking it every day for a week I think I'm frankly kind of sick of the taste of it and don't have much desire to smoke it again. That seems to be par for the course for me though, since out of the 10 blends I've tried for Blend of the Week so far the only keeper has been Mac Baren Vanilla Flake (I ended up rescinding my verdict on Gawith Hoggarth Jamaican Flake after eventually deciding it was a little too bland for my liking) so I'm clearly difficult to please when it comes to tobacco. I do think that anyone who likes the idea of a cherry aromatic that's tart instead of sweet and non-cough syrupy tasting would do well to give Mac Baren 7 Seas Red Blend a try though! Fans of the dearly departed Middleton Cherry may also find a very good replacement blend in this one!

For next week it looks to be the last week of warm weather we're going to have for the year here in Minnesota, so it seems like a good week to smoke what thus far has been my all time favorite bright Virginia blend; and if this one isn't a keeper then I'll eat my own hat! Next week's blend of the week is...

Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices

IMG_8311~2.JPG

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Blend of the Week #8: Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices

IMG_8379~2.JPG

For anyone who has ever smoked Orlik Golden Sliced, I could simply say "Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices is bulk Orlik Golden Sliced without the Perique" and leave it at that. However, a one sentence review would be a rather massive disservice to one of my all time favorite blends—and there are a few little differences between this and Orlik Golden Sliced—so I should probably elaborate a little!

To start things off, this is without question the absolute brightest pure Virginia blend I've ever had! The predominant flavor is a lemon citrus one, and the smoke itself is very acidic like lemonade that went extra light on the sugar. Along with the bright acidic lemon you also get mild natural floral notes and the grassy hay-like flavors that bright Virginias are well known for. When you mix all those flavor notes together you get something that just tastes like summertime to me, like sipping lemonade under a tree in a warm sunny meadow and taking in all the aromas of the long grass and wildflowers.

If that all sounds an awful lot like Orlik Golden Sliced, that's because it is. In fact, the only real difference I can find between Sutliff Virginia Slices and Orlik Golden Sliced is that the Sutliff leans more into the lemony citrus as it's primary flavor whereas the Orlik's main flavor note is the mild floral one and the lemon takes a bit of a backseat to it. The Orlik also has a very occasional subtle cracked peppercorn note on the retrohale from the smidgen of Perique that's absent here. They're extraordinarily similar blends though and if you like one you're almost guaranteed to like the other.

As far as the mechanics go, Virginia Slices comes in loosely pressed and slightly ragged looking flakes that are nicely dry and ready to smoke right away. They rub out easily but are perfectly fine to fold and stuff if you prefer, which may be useful if you plan on smoking outdoors on a windy day since when rubbed out this blend burns fairly warm and fast; and smoking the flakes folded and stuffed will slow down the burn for outdoor enjoyment. Either way this blend smokes clean and dry and leaves little to no moisture in the bowl, the nicotine content is a solid middle of the road medium, and if there is any topping here I sure can't detect it. The room note is a light and wispy fresh baked bread sort of aroma that most people, non-smokers included, should find quite pleasant.

My only cautionary note about Sutliff Virginia Slices is that the smoke is so bright and acidic that it can cause quite a sting on the soft palate if puffed too vigorously, and has the same effect in the sinuses if retrohaled too frequently. Think of it like smoking lemon juice, and you certainly wouldn't want lemon juice coming out your nose, so be careful with the retrohale on this one.

So, is it a keeper for me? You're darn right it is! I had no complaints at all about smoking this blend every day for a week, and I imagine I could smoke it every day for a few more weeks and not feel put out about it either. I'm a big fan of pure Virginias and, in my very subjective opinion, Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices is the absolute finest example of a bright Virginia blend there is. We'll get more into some darker Virginias like Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, and G.L. Pease Union Square in the coming months; but as far as bright Virginias go I don't think I could ask for a more perfect blend than this. Don't let the bulk pricing or the Sutliff brand name that often gets associated with wet and goopy aromatics fool you, this is some world class tobacco and I sincerely hope it will remain available for many years to come! I know it'll be a staple blend in my cellar for as long as they keep producing it.

For next week's blend of the week it occurs to me that I haven't done any English blends yet, and since this will be the last week before we get into all the seasonal aromatic treats for October and the weather is starting to turn cool I think it's high time we have an English! Next week's blend of the week is...

Peterson Early Morning Pipe

IMG_8389~2.JPG

Lucro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2024
Pittsburgh, PA
Blend of the Week #8: Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices

View attachment 338914

For anyone who has ever smoked Orlik Golden Sliced, I could simply say "Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices is bulk Orlik Golden Sliced without the Perique" and leave it at that. However, a one sentence review would be a rather massive disservice to one of my all time favorite blends—and there are a few little differences between this and Orlik Golden Sliced—so I should probably elaborate a little!

To start things off, this is without question the absolute brightest pure Virginia blend I've ever had! The predominant flavor is a lemon citrus one, and the smoke itself is very acidic like lemonade that went extra light on the sugar. Along with the bright acidic lemon you also get mild natural floral notes and the grassy hay-like flavors that bright Virginias are well known for. When you mix all those flavor notes together you get something that just tastes like summertime to me, like sipping lemonade under a tree in a warm sunny meadow and taking in all the aromas of the long grass and wildflowers.

If that all sounds an awful lot like Orlik Golden Sliced, that's because it is. In fact, the only real difference I can find between Sutliff Virginia Slices and Orlik Golden Sliced is that the Sutliff leans more into the lemony citrus as it's primary flavor whereas the Orlik's main flavor note is the mild floral one and the lemon takes a bit of a backseat to it. The Orlik also has a very occasional subtle cracked peppercorn note on the retrohale from the smidgen of Perique that's absent here. They're extraordinarily similar blends though and if you like one you're almost guaranteed to like the other.

As far as the mechanics go, Virginia Slices comes in loosely pressed and slightly ragged looking flakes that are nicely dry and ready to smoke right away. They rub out easily but are perfectly fine to fold and stuff if you prefer, which may be useful if you plan on smoking outdoors on a windy day since when rubbed out this blend burns fairly warm and fast; and smoking the flakes folded and stuffed will slow down the burn for outdoor enjoyment. Either way this blend smokes clean and dry and leaves little to no moisture in the bowl, the nicotine content is a solid middle of the road medium, and if there is any topping here I sure can't detect it. The room note is a light and wispy fresh baked bread sort of aroma that most people, non-smokers included, should find quite pleasant.

My only cautionary note about Sutliff Virginia Slices is that the smoke is so bright and acidic that it can cause quite a sting on the soft palate if puffed too vigorously, and has the same effect in the sinuses if retrohaled too frequently. Think of it like smoking lemon juice, and you certainly wouldn't want lemon juice coming out your nose, so be careful with the retrohale on this one.

So, is it a keeper for me? You're darn right it is! I had no complaints at all about smoking this blend every day for a week, and I imagine I could smoke it every day for a few more weeks and not feel put out about it either. I'm a big fan of pure Virginias and, in my very subjective opinion, Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices is the absolute finest example of a bright Virginia blend there is. We'll get more into some darker Virginias like Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, and G.L. Pease Union Square in the coming months; but as far as bright Virginias go I don't think I could ask for a more perfect blend than this. Don't let the bulk pricing or the Sutliff brand name that often gets associated with wet and goopy aromatics fool you, this is some world class tobacco and I sincerely hope it will remain available for many years to come! I know it'll be a staple blend in my cellar for as long as they keep producing it.

For next week's blend of the week it occurs to me that I haven't done any English blends yet, and since this will be the last week before we get into all the seasonal aromatic treats for October and the weather is starting to turn cool I think it's high time we have an English! Next week's blend of the week is...

Peterson Early Morning Pipe

View attachment 338915
Another excellent review! I agree with all your points especially about puffing too vigorously. As a newbie smoker I made that mistake. My mouth needed the rest of the day off

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Hey there folks! Apologies for the lack of a review this past weekend, the patellar tendon in my right knee went kablooie last week so I haven't been able to get to my photography station to take pictures; and have been a little too distracted by life's problems to make time for pipe smoking every day. So, the Early Morning Pipe review will be coming this weekend instead!

In the meantime, here's a little teaser for next week's blend of the week. 🌕

IMG_5881_2_Medium__70950~3.jpg

Lucro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2024
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey there folks! Apologies for the lack of a review this past weekend, the patellar tendon in my right knee went kablooie last week so I haven't been able to get to my photography station to take pictures; and have been a little too distracted by life's problems to make time for pipe smoking every day. So, the Early Morning Pipe review will be coming this weekend instead!

In the meantime, here's a little teaser for next week's blend of the week. 🌕

View attachment 341007
Oh man Skippy! Take care of that knee. That injury is no joke.