PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jankomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2010
Tampa, FL
I have been putting of posting this for awhile, but figured I would now. Is the site abnormally slow for anyone else? When I click a post it takes 10-20 seconds to load at times and when I make a post it takes that long as well. I know it isn't my network speed I have 40/40. I have no firewalls either. Everything else I peruse daily loads basically instantly. Is it just the forum software?
Wes

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Slow for me too. Always has been...feel like it probably always will be.

Not that this is the only forum that seems like that. I feel like many fora are fairly slow-like.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Always been kind of slow for me, not intolerable, but not the fastest site/forum I'm on either.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I believe it has something to do with the server used, something that Kevin would have to chime in to confirm! But Collin is correct, I am on a number of different forums and they all tend to be slow!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Slow? I guess Time-Warner is making good on their promise to keep me on the low speed of things. Everything I go to takes 10 seconds to load. Thank god streaming is fine.
-Jason

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
i'll confirm with you guys it's slow for me too, if were all using windows well enough said hahaha.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
The site is currently a victim of it's own success.
I'm sorry for the slowness. I find myself cursing at my own site on a daily basis.
I appreciate everyone's patience until I can budget for a new server.
I totally blew out the budget this year with several unplanned, un-budgeted-for trips.
I do not regret the following trip this year. They were fun, the people were great, and I got great content for the site. However, they each cost between $1,000 - $1,800 to do, and none were in the original budget. (Maybe I should go into politics with my natural ability to go over-budget.)
1. January - Seattle Pipe Club 10th Anniversary

2. February - St. Louis Pipe Show

3. June - Kansas City Pipe Show (Hopefully, the article will be done today.)
So, that's about $4,500 over-budget for the first half of the year.
Sorry for the long answer, but I feel a little better getting that off my chest. :oops:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Success is always a double-edged sword, Kevin--but I'm glad that I'm part of this (rapidly) growing community and very appreciative of all the content that you're bringing forth, and glad for you that you're able to pursue this passion on our behalf. Kudos, friend. :clap:

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I have noticed the forums a little slower than norm, but it's not intolerable. I would say that show coverage is just as important as upgrading servers and I appreciate every aspect of the business you've created, Kevin.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Just look at the slow time as time to enjoy a few more puffs on the pipes!

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
@Kevin

Would having it hosted in the "cloud" be affordable? Bandwidth can be scaled up or down

as needed by the host.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Always been slow for me. 2 other forums I am on are not slow. Not really a problem for me. I just do something else for 15 secs or so.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
it really isnt that big of a deal for me. i am normally doing other things on the computer when i hit "send post", in fact i will be on facebook or something talking about how slow this site is :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.