PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm at work but may take a picture of my Amphora later, when I'm back around my pipes.

For years, Amphora had them made in Holland by Gubbels.
At some point -- I'm not sure when -- they started being made in Sparta by Dr. Grabow.

The Dutch ones are marked "Made in Holland" and are common on ebay, and are absolute steals in terms of quality for price point.

I've made a firm decision never to "collect" pipes properly (only to accumulate them randomly like most of us), but one of the two collections I've come closest to letting myself pursue is Dutch made Amphora Canadians.
(The other is a certain Kriswill shape.)

Reactions: Valliantpiper

Valliantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
Maryland
I'm at work but may take a picture of my Amphora later, when I'm back around my pipes.

For years, Amphora had them made in Holland by Gubbels.
At some point -- I'm not sure when -- they started being made in Sparta by Dr. Grabow.

The Dutch ones are marked "Made in Holland" and are common on ebay, and are absolute steals in terms of quality for price point.

I've made a firm decision never to "collect" pipes properly (only to accumulate them randomly like most of us), but one of the two collections I've come closest to letting myself pursue is Dutch made Amphora Canadians.
(The other is a certain Kriswill shape.)
That would be great if you have time later to share a photo of the pipe. Thank you.

Reactions: El Capitán

fallsguy

Lurker
Jan 29, 2012
It was likely a coupon pipe, it was common for years to find a coupon in the top of your tobacco tin that you could collect four or five of them and send off for a free pipe. Amphora sold nearly all their pipes this way. Your pipe was likely made for Brown & Williamson by Sparta Pipe Work in Sparta, NC. As a Sir Walter Raleigh Pipe tobacco coupon pipe.
Excellent post, and right on!

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've mentioned this before, but for you new guys.... It's 1963 and I'm buying my first pipe, a new pipe and 2 pouches of SWR for $1.25. And, by the way, I bought it at "Fedmart". Anyone else remember them? puffy

Reactions: romaso

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
That is a beautiful humidor. Love to have one like it
I got mine on ebay, ages ago. It's roughly 6 inches high and 5 inches across. I think they came as a premium when you bought a can of tobacco in the 1990's. It's some type of ceramic and is breakable. Mine has a plastic tubing seal for the lid. They had other promotions, and you'd get a branded bonus in the can, just like the toys in cereal boxes! I remember a small pipe rest, belt buckle, and pipe tool.

Reactions: El Capitán
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I'd really appreciate it if you could scan that mini brochure with the pipe selection and post it here (or DM me). Thanks!

Unfortunately, my scanner no longer works with my operating system on my tower computer because TWAIN drivers are no longer supported. The best I can do at this time are these cell phone pics, otherwise I would scan and descreen for you. You’ll need to adjust the white balance, etc. At least you’ll know what models were available.

20231218_180054.jpg

20231218_180105.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Unfortunately, my scanner no longer works with my operating system on my tower computer because TWAIN drivers are no longer supported. The best I can do at this time are these cell phone pics, otherwise I would scan and descreen for you. You’ll need to adjust the white balance, etc. At least you’ll know what models were available.

View attachment 271378

View attachment 271379
Thanks! This is some info I had saved back when I collected them. I think there was also a Windjammer that was similar to the Helmsman. I remember I bought a bunch in the late 1990s just before they were discontinued.

Captain Black Pipes
Galleon- Smooth Brown
Helmsman- Light Walnut
Sentinel- two-tone, burgundy, brass band
Sloop- Black Sandblast
Yeoman- Sandblast w/ earthtone stain

• Love
Reactions: TheIronMonkey