PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Valliantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
Maryland
Title edited for brevity and capitals. Please see Rule 9.

Original: I posted this awhile back but I didn’t get any response so I will try again. Is anyone familiar with Sir Walter Raleigh pipes?

I have a Sir Walter Raleigh pipe I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about?

Attachments

• IMG_2905.jpeg
    IMG_2905.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
It was likely a coupon pipe, it was common for years to find a coupon in the top of your tobacco tin that you could collect four or five of them and send off for a free pipe. Amphora sold nearly all their pipes this way. Your pipe was likely made for Brown & Williamson by Sparta Pipe Work in Sparta, NC. As a Sir Walter Raleigh Pipe tobacco coupon pipe.

Valliantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
Maryland
It was likely a coupon pipe, it was common for years to find a coupon in the top of your tobacco tin that you could collect four or five of them and send off for a free pipe. Amphora sold nearly all their pipes this way. Your pipe was likely made for Brown & Williamson by Sparta Pipe Work in Sparta, NC. As a Sir Walter Raleigh Pipe tobacco coupon pipe.
Thank you for the information. I figured it was something like that. I appreciate you responding

Valliantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
Maryland
There used to be ads for inexpensive branded pipes on the inner flap of tobacco pouches. I used to collect the Captain Black ones and also have a couple Smoker's Pride, all from at least 20 years ago. All mine were great deals for the low cost. The free ones for coupons must have been before my time (inflation!).
How many Captain Black pipes do you have? Do you have a photo of one of them you could share?

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
They used to sell three shapes in each line. I'd always get the straight and bent billiard (the third was usually a bulldog or lumberman). They had half a dozen lines over the years, different finishes and staining, all in a nautical theme: Windjammer, Sloop, Galleon, etc. All with their anchor trademark on the stem. I could dig them out if you wish.

Reactions: yanoJL