May 23, 2019
Alaska
tenor.gif

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
i Would assume a Scotch bar in Scotland would have access to far more variety than anywhere else.
Ah I see. Possibly. Although there are a lot of malts that are export only especially to the US and China that we don’t see. So it’s possible it could just be a differently wide selection rather than just wider if that makes sense?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
A trick to enjoy the various flavors in a scotch:

Take the bottle and t up it on to the palm of your hand, like aftershave or cologne. Run both hands together. Smell the different areas of your hand.

The various flavors tend to congregate in different parts of your palm. Like notes of oak will be in one area, smoke or peat in another, cinnamon or vanilla elsewhere.

Note, it doesn't work with all scotch ... some just smell like, well, scotch. But it's amazing with those that do. It helps you pick out the various notes of flavor at times.

Worst case scenario, just mix with cola. After all, I like my women like my scotch, 12 years old and mixed up with coke. Just kidding on the last part.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
A trick to enjoy the various flavors in a scotch:

Take the bottle and t up it on to the palm of your hand, like aftershave or cologne. Run both hands together. Smell the different areas of your hand.

The various flavors tend to congregate in different parts of your palm. Like notes of oak will be in one area, smoke or peat in another, cinnamon or vanilla elsewhere.

Note, it doesn't work with all scotch ... some just smell like, well, scotch. But it's amazing with those that do. It helps you pick out the various notes of flavor at times.

Worst case scenario, just mix with cola. After all, I like my women like my scotch, 12 years old and mixed up with coke. Just kidding on the last part.

Why would anyone waste even a few drops of good single malt by rubbing it on their hands? I like to enjoy the various flavors of scotch the old fashioned way... by drinking it puffy

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Why would anyone waste even a few drops of good single malt by rubbing it on their hands? I like to enjoy the various flavors of scotch the old fashioned way... by drinking it puffy
Agreed. If you're not a scotch fan, than try it with Cutty Sark.

It's an entry level trick to help those that can't taste the subtleties, no different than the tips posted for new pope smokers to enjoy more flavor in tobacco.

Then again, you may like scotch so much you can it on yourself ... Like Bob Uker with Jack Daniels in Major League.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Blended Scotch was simply called Scotch before the single malt craze and blenders were lauded for their recipes and the use of many single malts and in proportions to create a repeatable flavor profile for their brand. — Sound Familiar?

I enjoy scotch. Each house is so unique. Japanese Hibiki is a must try. I’m gifted a bottle most every year.

Lagavulin or Laphroag are the peat monsters and I can only take small doses of these. But if you’ve never tasted either, you’re in for a special treat.

And please, no ice. Perhaps a few drops of water to sweeten and open them up.

Keep the soda and mixers away. Ye aro smokin heathens. I kid. It’s your whisky ?. You paid for it, ruin it as you see fit.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Blended Scotch was simply called Scotch before the single malt craze and blenders were lauded for their recipes and the use of many single malts and in proportions to create a repeatable flavor profile for their brand. — Sound Familiar?

I enjoy scotch. Each house is so unique. Japanese Hibiki is a must try. I’m gifted a bottle most every year.

Lagavulin or Laphroag are the peat monsters and I can only take small doses of these. But if you’ve never tasted either, you’re in for a special treat.

And please, no ice. Perhaps a few drops of water to sweeten and open them up.

Keep the soda and mixers away. Ye aro smokin heathens. I kid. It’s your whisky ?. You paid for it, ruin it as you see fit.
Hmm.. opinions vary.
Granted I’m a bit of a philistine but I don’t care much for Hibiki and I’ve been drinking Lagavulin for years - always with a cube of ice.

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
Nice selections!
The Highlander Inn in Craigellachie and the Mash Tun in Aberlour are exceptional, if one happens to be in the Speyside region.

Reactions: Frasermac

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Very nice! I wouldn't even need to think about it. I'd head straight for the Macallan, 25yr old if they had it, I'd settle the for 18yr old tho. ;)

Reactions: Reggie