PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

BROBS

Preferred Member
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Even waxed silver will tarnish.
One thing that works also if the tarnish is very light is to take a paper towel or microfiber (dry) and polish on it.

Umberto

Apr 11, 2020
Bar Keepers friend...mild oxalic acid, won't etch or do any damage if you use it right. Only way it can do any harm is if you leave it sit on.

This stuff will take the tarnish right up without much fuss, it can be wiped off after with a damp towel, let it air dry and yer good to go. It works on silver/nickel silver etc.

The thing is those silvers are probably a very thin plating, so less abrasive is always better. I wouldn't use heavy polishing compounds, pastes or a dremel, only elbow grease.

Try a can of bar keepers...a diluted batch with a saturated q tip should work very well. Then I'd say add a tiny drop of linseed oil and buff by hand it will slow the tarnish down considerably.

greeneyes

Preferred Member
Jun 5, 2018
Fellow at pipe club told me--kid-you-not--some cigar ash mixed with a little water. Put it on a cloth or paper towel. It polishes silver like a charm. After a few months my silver mount is still clean.

deleon

Preferred Member
Nov 7, 2011
I've had good luck using Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. A little goes along way and with very little effort to polish, saves time.

Reactions: BROBS

dino

Preferred Member
Jul 9, 2011
Flitz cream polish. Non-abrasive, non-toxic, acid free.
And, it works great on vulcanite stems. Amazon and Ace.