PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So let me preface this by a small anecdote;

I'm still new to the world of pipe smoking. I've only been smoking for about 2 or 3 years. In that time I've amassed quite a bit of tobacco. The frog series by McClelland, a healthy dose of Capstan Blue (Which I absolutely love), Lane 1Q, Some Penzance, various samples of things such as Squadron leader, St james flake, 40th anniversary and fusiliers ration (thanks @SBC for being so generous) with quite a few more.. Some simpler and some more complex.

Well recently a friend was headed to the States from Canada and I ordered some tobacco to the address he was staying at and within that order was a 14 oz tub of Carter Hall. I just cracked that tub tonight because I couldn't really decide what I wanted to smoke and I was completely caught by surprise. ITS SO GREAT! It could just be the moment or the exact craving for something without too much identity but I've been completely caught by surprise. It's not as simple as I thought it would be but it's definitely not that complex.. it sits somewhere in the middle of it all and it's almost like eating a small bag of chips or something like that. It's a comforting and very satisfying smoke. Anyway my wife didn't care that much about my experience so I thought I'd throw it up on here for you guys to read.

Cheers !
I struggled for the first couple months of pipe smoking. Captain black, borkum riff, etc. When I discovered Carter hall, I finally "got it" and became a pipe smoker. I've since moved on to mostly C&D burleys, but I Still smoke CH, 10 years later. I owe my pipe smoking profession to it.

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
I LOVE carter hall as well as SWRA. I honestly smoke more of those 2 than probably anything else I have as of late. Glad you enjoy it.

Reactions: Nevaditude

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Local B&M said that carter hall & prince albert changed manufacturer recently and may no longer be in production, is this true?

• Wow
Reactions: Talon

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I have always loved Carter Hall and Sir WalterRaleigh. Both flavorful and relaxing smokes. I have recently become quite fond of Uhle’s Perfection Plug. It’s a very good burley blend. Smoke on!

Reactions: Nevaditude

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Local B&M said that carter hall & prince albert changed manufacturer recently and may no longer be in production, is this true?
My limited understanding from what I think I recall reading here, that CH production was moved to the Dominican? I believe, but still in production. Others will know more.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Do any retailers sale the 2oz pouches of CH and PA? Would really like to sample before buying tubs puffy

+1 would love to get a regular pouch, don’t care to get it bulk from 4noggins either.

I’ve looked for ages for a pouch, only see the availability to buy like 5 at a time.

P.S. I’d imagine, hopefully in time with a WTB posted here, a pouch might be obtained in time.

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
I had a similar experience, a friend started me with Gawith Hoggarth, Dan Tobacco, GLP, C&D, SPC, etc. I loved most of them but stumbled across a pouch of SWR in a store one day and picked it up... I quickly bought a few more and smoked nothing but it for a couple weeks. Then I tried all the PA, CH, Velvet, Granger etc. much to his confusion. I said "Hey, if I like it, I like it, I'm not trying to impress anybody but me with what I smoke." This was about a year ago.

Guess what, just two days ago after finishing a bowl of EMP, he asked me for a bowl of the Granger I was smoking. He didn't complain as he smoked it, and I kept my mouth shut about it. Some day he will admit that its a perfect tobacco, no need to rush it ;)

Reactions: DeerparkDays