PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GardenStateoftheArtBriar

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2024
New Jersey
Thank you all for very different ideas!

Allow me not to quote each (I don't know how).
I see everything falls into these categories:
- I have a cardiac condition
- I have an allergy to something
- I have a reaction to pipe tobacco (Perique, Latakia)

Also, some comments:
- Copperhead, yes, when searching for "feeling bad after tobacco pipe" smth half of links are from this forum, and all about nicotine poisoning
- BingBong, no, is this blend particularly monstrously heavy?

So, I don't think I have any heart problems, I in fact enjoy jogging, calisthenics and kettlebell a bit, I am under 40.
Also, seems clear that since pipe tobacco and process is lighter than cigs, I probably can't have nicotine poisoning from pipe, but not from cigars.
By the way! I do get that lightheaded feeling smoking a whole cigar, and it's something different. No sleeping for hours, no dark circles under eyes.

I swear I thought this might be inhaling something burnt, like maybe poor quality lacquer, paint, mouthpiece (??)
Or self-hypnosis of X-men level?

Thanks again, I'm still hoping to crack this riddle :)
well, YOU ARE INDEED smoking

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
Two thoughts:
1 - I have seen this before in a gentleman who experienced the same symptoms as you. Our bodies are unique, it may simply be that your body does not like it. In which case... sorry.

2 - You seem to have this suspicion, "I swear I thought this might be inhaling something burnt, like maybe poor quality lacquer, paint, mouthpiece (??)" Listen to your instincts, and approach this scientifically.
a. Get a clean new pipe -- I would recommend a Missouri Meerschaum cob. That would eliminate the issue of toxins in the pipe.
b. Perhaps just smoke half a pipe. Two reasons for this -- one is that you might be over-economical at the bottom and burning more than just tobacco at the end of your smoke from an ambitious relight, and two is that I have seen people fall off the nicotine edge -- happy for 40 puffs, sick at 41.
c. Try a different tobacco. You might order a variety of loose tobaccos 1 oz of this and that to determine if there is a certain variety that you don't like (or doesn't like you.) Go for something simple and mild. You might have a mixture or a blend that has an ingredient that is cuing your body that something is amiss.

vovasensei

Lurker
Jul 26, 2024
Two thoughts:
1 - I have seen this before in a gentleman who experienced the same symptoms as you. Our bodies are unique, it may simply be that your body does not like it. In which case... sorry.

2 - You seem to have this suspicion, "I swear I thought this might be inhaling something burnt, like maybe poor quality lacquer, paint, mouthpiece (??)" Listen to your instincts, and approach this scientifically.
a. Get a clean new pipe -- I would recommend a Missouri Meerschaum cob. That would eliminate the issue of toxins in the pipe.
b. Perhaps just smoke half a pipe. Two reasons for this -- one is that you might be over-economical at the bottom and burning more than just tobacco at the end of your smoke from an ambitious relight, and two is that I have seen people fall off the nicotine edge -- happy for 40 puffs, sick at 41.
c. Try a different tobacco. You might order a variety of loose tobaccos 1 oz of this and that to determine if there is a certain variety that you don't like (or doesn't like you.) Go for something simple and mild. You might have a mixture or a blend that has an ingredient that is cuing your body that something is amiss.
Very cool. So, can you recall how people felt after those poisoned ash like last puffs, what did they tell you?

I think if I go back, I will start testing with a branded cigar first.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
No advice here, but a question for both the group and OP. OP, have you checked the tobacco for mold? Group, have any of you experienced strange symptoms and then found you had smoked moldy tobacco, if so, what were those symptoms?

I can atest to the nico cliff, but for me the first signs are very light and if I abide by them I'm fine, but if I push it, it will go downhill for me quickly. However, usually some ibuprofen and a nap clear it up in a couple for hours.

As far as increasing my nico tolerance, I have to smoke in smaller bits throughout the day, but if I laps even one day, I'm just back to where I started. I tend to agree that it's genetic as my dad and brother never had this issue.

vovasensei

Lurker
Jul 26, 2024
No advice here, but a question for both the group and OP. OP, have you checked the tobacco for mold? Group, have any of you experienced strange symptoms and then found you had smoked moldy tobacco, if so, what were those symptoms?

I can atest to the nico cliff, but for me the first signs are very light and if I abide by them I'm fine, but if I push it, it will go downhill for me quickly. However, usually some ibuprofen and a nap clear it up in a couple for hours.

As far as increasing my nico tolerance, I have to smoke in smaller bits throughout the day, but if I laps even one day, I'm just back to where I started. I tend to agree that it's genetic as my dad and brother never had this issue.
I have several packets of tobacco and also have bought a dozen, and I didn't think about mold on any of them.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Are there any concomitants to your smoking? Do you drink coffee or something else whilst smoking?

Personally, I've noticed that strong coffee followed by a pipe can make me unwell for the rest of the day.

Reactions: vovasensei

Bwana Kiko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2021
Uganda
Very cool. So, can you recall how people felt after those poisoned ash like last puffs, what did they tell you?
Sure. I have good friend in his 50's -- healthy chap who used to smoke fine, but tried to start up again recently and found that a pipe gives him fatigue -- almost like a cold. His description of waking up the next day feeling poorly was what sounded similar to your case.

Last puff ailments seem to come for those economical blokes who are certain there is more tobacco left then there is. They pursue it with a long relight deep into the pipe which contains nothing but ash, and succeed only in burning the char or the pipe itself releasing some fumes that wouldn't appear otherwise. The mouth, being a sensitive fellow, can respond with triggering a bodily response. Perhaps you can relate to eating a pound of shrimp, and then you hit that one, single shrimp, and the alarm bells go off, and alerts you that something is amiss, but you've already swallowed it, and the stomach sours and the forehead perspires, and soon all the organs have joined the revolt....

That's my thought. Hope you solve it.

BlueMaxx

Can't Leave
Feb 7, 2020
Indiana
Hi!
So, I've smoked pipe for some months and cigars and cigarillas before.
I have two pipes, and now whenever I smoke, I feel weak and drowsy.

Now, what's different from 50 other such discussions that I read through and studied — I don't feel better from sugar, chocolates, sweets, water; I feel bad the morning after and have darker circles under eyes; I also feel like what I'm smoking stinks.

As I remember, it wasn't like that when I started. I'm starting to think this is a byproduct poisoning, not nicotine poisoning (?)
Naturally, I cleaned the pipes a dozen of times: alcohol, salt, wipes, scrape. I smoked without inhaling, but also inhaling minimally. Don't notice a difference.

I'm preparing to stop smoking pipes, but can't leave a mystery unresolved!

Thank you for your advice!

If you haven't turned green and wound up in the fetal position with unstoppable vertigo wishing for a quick death you just haven't had the right blend.
Sort of a right of passage for new pipe smokers.

Experience & expirimentation is a helluva teacher.

My advice, find a tame blend.
Use smaller bowl pipes.
Use a very slow cadence.
Be sure to eat before you smoke and try to not smoke if your in the high heat of the day on an empty stomach or after doing hard labor (DAMHIKT, Thank you very much Wilke Rumcake and blazing sun).
Use different sorts of pipes, cobs, Meer's.
It can be tough finding your happy medium.
And you are not in any danger of losing a man point if you just step away from it for an extended period of time.
Just my two cents for what it is worth.
M

dingdong

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
I think i got somewhat similar condition when first start with pipe -
  1. alcohol poisoning from cleaning (without letting the alcohol evaporated, i immediately reload and relight the pipe after cleaning)
  2. excessive smoking before bed time
  3. smoking diverse blends
  4. drinks & snacks that goes with pipes - coffee, tea
So after almost a year and toning down, settling into certain pipes and blends - the smoking is now less suicidal puffy puffy puffy

vovasensei

Lurker
Jul 26, 2024
Are there any concomitants to your smoking? Do you drink coffee or something else whilst smoking?

Personally, I've noticed that strong coffee followed by a pipe can make me unwell for the rest of the day.
Sometimes yes, mostly no, but that's what I recall.

Sure. I have good friend in his 50's -- healthy chap who used to smoke fine, but tried to start up again recently and found that a pipe gives him fatigue -- almost like a cold. His description of waking up the next day feeling poorly was what sounded similar to your case.

That's my thought. Hope you solve it.
Yes, both sound familiar. It's that you wake up after a whole night and still feel bad for more hours — it's just too much, too weird. And to think that I wanted a stimulating effect!
And I have smoked that last bit just thinking it's okay, then feeling the bad taste and then spitting everything out.
Sorry you're experiencing this!

Can you tell us which tobaccos you're smoking and which pipes you're smoking them out of?
First some MacBarren, then (I hope, as it says so on the cans) pure sorts in cans, like Cavendish and also something from Turkey. Also pure Virginia, which I didn't finish (tongue bite).

Reactions: BlueMaxx
A buddy of mine is dealing with high blood pressure. He noticed that after a pipe he had some of the same issues as you.
Have you told us what tobacco it is that you smoke? I scanned the thread and didn't see one mentioned. Pipe tobacco gives you way more nicotine that cigarettes. But, it is delivered more slowly through the blood vessels in your mouth and sinuses. Cigarettes are more of a pop of nicotine that quickly dissipates, but a p[ipe goes in slower and lasts way longer. But, really, you are accessing way more of it that cigarettes, unless we are talking about an aromatic cavendish or something.

Ultimately, no, we have no clue. We can only spitball stuff we have encountered at you. Go to a doctor.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A buddy of mine is dealing with high blood pressure. He noticed that after a pipe he had some of the same issues as you.
Have you told us what tobacco it is that you smoke? I scanned the thread and didn't see one mentioned. Pipe tobacco gives you way more nicotine that cigarettes. But, it is delivered more slowly through the blood vessels in your mouth and sinuses. Cigarettes are more of a pop of nicotine that quickly dissipates, but a p[ipe goes in slower and lasts way longer. But, really, you are accessing way more of it that cigarettes, unless we are talking about an aromatic cavendish or something.

Ultimately, no, we have no clue. We can only spitball stuff we have encountered at you. Go to a doctor.
When cosmic says go to the doctor you go. Why because if he's going to drop the he doesn't care about any of us, it's potentially serious. ;)

Dreadlock Holmes

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2023
🤷🏾‍♂️ I'm very curious. If you were to hand roll some of this tobacco, and smoke it... do you get the same negative effects? Contrast this with taking an old favorite cigar brand. Break up the leaf and put it in your pipe and give it a go.

1. If the hand rolled pipe tobacco cigarillo has no effect , then the pipes are the problem.

2. If the cigar leaf in the pipe has no effect, then the pipe tobacco is the problem.

3. If BOTH have the sickness as a result then smoking itself is in fact the problem.

vovasensei

Lurker
Jul 26, 2024
Have you told us what tobacco it is that you smoke?
If anything, I lean towards lower blood pressure. But overall am healthy and actually fit. I used to be a hypochondriac and that's how I have multiple blood tests from years before, and everything is normal. I don't do that now.
I smoke a local importer brand of pure, as it says, tobaccos - like pure Cavendish, pure Virginia in a tin can.
🤷🏾‍♂️ I'm very curious. If you were to hand roll some of this tobacco, and smoke it... do you get the same negative effects? Contrast this with taking an old favorite cigar brand. Break up the leaf and put it in your pipe and give it a go.

1. If the hand rolled pipe tobacco cigarillo has no effect , then the pipes are the problem.

2. If the cigar leaf in the pipe has no effect, then the pipe tobacco is the problem.

3. If BOTH have the sickness as a result then smoking itself is in fact the problem.
Yes, just today I smoked rolled cigarettes with tobacco for rolled cigarettes and felt fatigued after a while. It was 2 cigs. I do not inhale! Then I walked, drank coffee and ate a sandwich and felt, hm, 65% better.
Another thing my vision gets a little bit worse for a while after.
I did also smoke my pipe tobacco in rolls, can't compare the two exactly right now, but overall, yeah, fatigue.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
If anything, I lean towards lower blood pressure. But overall am healthy and actually fit. I used to be a hypochondriac and that's how I have multiple blood tests from years before, and everything is normal. I don't do that now.
I smoke a local importer brand of pure, as it says, tobaccos - like pure Cavendish, pure Virginia in a tin can.

Yes, just today I smoked rolled cigarettes with tobacco for rolled cigarettes and felt fatigued after a while. It was 2 cigs. I do not inhale! Then I walked, drank coffee and ate a sandwich and felt, hm, 65% better.
Another thing my vision gets a little bit worse for a while after.
I did also smoke my pipe tobacco in rolls, can't compare the two exactly right now, but overall, yeah, fatigue.
Sounds like you're on the way out.
Better smoke it all up as quick as you can in your short time left; or quickly message those who cared right up to the end and gift it all away...................puffy