PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I wasn't advocating watching any of the remakes but inquiring which of the originals might be worth rewatching.
These conversations have a way of getting out of hand or at least out of what you intended them to be. I honestly think there are few questions all remakes should ask. One do we need it? Is there something about the original that begs for a more modern sense? Two what made the original work? Which seems like it should be simple like all you have to ask is what did I like about the show? But you know the ole chestnut about theory versus practice. Or in other words I feel like most of them could be worth watching if they get the formula right and also don't forget to make it entertaining. Like not going to name the remakes but there are a few remakes that people said sucked because they got woke. And I am like wait the original was super woke already... And then watched the remake and went oh they forgot the make it entertaining first and don't use a hammer to get your point across..... And then I wonder where this people not being articulate? Or did they totally forget what the original series was like? O.k. so like the Twilight Zone often had moral points as a central part of the story. But it always tried to tell a good story first. Or in other words they got the darn ratios in the recipe stupidly wrong.
Spencer for Hire
Mike Hammer
oh Mike Hammer is the best answer. That show has a humor that actually feels more contemporary now then it did when it was made. I think of all the shows it would require the least updating and the updates which would be most needed would just happen naturally. The camera work the set design.... I think that one would be the easiest and most likely to come out good.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Know what no sleuth / vigilant show I wish would be finally made for streaming: Northern Exposure.

But in the cop realm it's a crime that Homicide: Life on the Streets is only available for purchase via out of production DVDs, the set of which will cost you something like $150.
There are quite a few Homicide: Life on the Street uploads on YouTube. You do have to do a bit of hunting for them, tho.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
oh Mike Hammer is the best answer. That show has a humor that actually feels more contemporary now then it did when it was made. I think of all the shows it would require the least updating and the updates which would be most needed would just happen naturally. The camera work the set design.... I think that one would be the easiest and most likely to come out good.
I feel like that show had a very life action mad magazine feel to it. That same this is observant intelligent people getting stupid as heck.

Jan 27, 2020
I loved the Equalizer movie, is the show anything like it?

I haven't seen the film but just watched the trailer. It seems to follow the same theme etc., but different style I guess... The Equalizer had an authentic end of the 80s feel to it which I doubt they wanted to match in the film. Apparently, there is a new Equalizer with Queen Latifa playing the lead. No joke.

• Haha
Reactions: didimauw