PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So many of these shows were really good but remake them and expecting it to work seems about as smart as Doing the new Newhart show staring me. Or in other words how many of these shows in a large part worked because of the main actor and how well they embodied the role? Columbo or Rockford with another actor might have been great but not the same.

Jan 27, 2020
So many of these shows were really good but remake them and expecting it to work seems about as smart as Doing the new Newhart show staring me. Or in other words how many of these shows in a large part worked because of the main actor and how well they embodied the role? Columbo or Rockford with another actor might have been great but not the same.

I wasn't advocating watching any of the remakes but inquiring which of the originals might be worth rewatching.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The original Hawaii Five-O and Magnum P.I. were better in my opinion but the remake were also entertaining.
I also liked Murder, She Wrote. There were fewer shoot-outs and car chases but they were good shows.

Instead of remaking old tv shows, I wish they were turn some of the old radio detective shows into tv. A number of good 1960s era shows were based on the radio shows - Dragnet, Gunsmoke, Superman, Green Hornet, Perry Mason, for example.

Then again, they would probably really screw up good radio shows by making them politically correct.

Jan 27, 2020

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Oh?!
Well crap. I'm on the second season now.

Looking forward to the Justified reboot. Which is filming now for a summer release.
It veered away completely from the kind of jobs the team handled in the earlier seasons and became wrapped up in an internal conspiracy story that was almost devoid of the team’s earlier humor and sense of fun capers. This seems to happen frequently: A show that starts out episodic, lighthearted, witty, and character-driven ends up turning more serious, darker, and driven by drawn-out, over-arching storylines.