PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Great pipes guys! Good idea for a thread photoman. cigrmaster that Rad Davis Dublin is a thing of beauty.
All my pipes have black stems except for my cob, its yellow. I used to like only the classic black but I'm coming around.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Good God I want a cumberland stem pipe. All these pipes are great looking. I saw a kaywoodie regent on ebay a while back with a cumberland stem but passed it up. Dang I regret that.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just curious -- are all the pipes shown thus far fitted with "real" Cumberland stems? Because I noted a Savinelli Bing's Favorite pic here -- I have one of those pipes that looks identical to the pic, but the pipe stem has the Cumberland "look" but it's actually Lucite.
Supposedly, "good" genuine stock has been difficult to come by so many makers have gone to Lucite for their "brindle" stems instead.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Cumberland is not Lucite, but more like Ebonite and Vulcanite?
Actually, there is not really a "Cumberland" stem, but a Brindle, which is a colored vulcanite (or Ebonite) material. Dunhill was the first with these stems on their "Cumberland" line. Cumberland referred to the finish of the briar, not the stem. The brindle stem was originally called "bowling ball" by Dunhill. It was used so much, the term became synonymous with Cumberland. Real Brindle stems are vulcanite, but now some makers also make a simlar appearing stem from lucite. At least that is what I have read.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Here is my Cumberland! I'm also a huge fan.
eea7062a.jpg

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Cigrmaster, I really like that ferndown of yours, are the carvings 'U' shaped or do they spiral?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sergemaot, thanks, it is a great smoking pipe and it does spiral. It is a very unique design which is what drew me to it.
bentmike, thank you. That Rad is a great smoker like all my others. It is amazing how he can carve a good sized group 5 and keep it as light as he does. His stems are the most comfortable of any pipes that I own.
All of my cumberland stems are vulcanite.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I know that pipe is one of my holy grails but I try not to look now because it is out of the budget.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
This blasted scoop/egg by Jaden Hew Len has a black stem but a cumberland shank extension.
JadenHewLenScoop02-1.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Big Van I don't even know what to say that thing is cool. I would love to see more from your collection.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Oh sorry chris I didn't noticed you posted. I didn't know there were any medicos with cumberlands. That's pretty tight.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Photoman, apparently Jaden royally screwed up the shank but wanted to keep the bowl, so he just chopped it off and "invented" the cumberland shank.
I've posted pictures of a lot of my pipes in the past. So they're in here somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.