PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
It started as a test briar to see what different tools would do. Long, long ago. Then one day I had to decide if it should just go in the trash. Seeing as how the briar came from American Pipes and was drilled by Tinski or one of his minions I popped a stem in it and fired it up. Now I only smoke it at night, to hide the shame of smoking an ugly pipe.

View attachment 5821
I made one just like that … in the toilet, this morning, … after eating a bran muffin. Ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
W
My ugliest pipe is my first restoration! I think I made it a biiit less ugly
5h8Sx6X.jpg

TfeFSNZ.jpg
Well, at least the stem is shinny now. Briar is hideous either way. 👍🏻

• Haha
Reactions: AroEnglish
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I have one of Olie Sylvester pipes from his "Monstrosity Collection. It is genuinely ugly to say the least. It is unsmoked.
Me too, although mine is smoked. The thing was intentionally beaten up, like those expensive torn and tattered jeans that some women like to wear. It was acquired as part of a purchase of a collection. It’s not something I would have picked up on my own. I do miss his podcast, though. Great long form interviews.

Reactions: kcghost

Woodfly

Lurker
Apr 12, 2024
Denmark
Haha yeah I remember seeing your post that all your pipes were made by you 😁

Are all your blocks inherited from him or just this one?
I inherited three blocks from him, and made my first three pipes from those. They are sitting together on a rack overlooking my home office.

Sometimes I regret making my first pipes with his briar thinking I should have saved them for when I improved my skills. But at the same time those three pipes got me hooked on pipe making, so maybe it was the right way.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I inherited three blocks from him, and made my first three pipes from those. They are sitting together on a rack overlooking my home office.

Sometimes I regret making my first pipes with his briar thinking I should have saved them for when I improved my skills. But at the same time those three pipes got me hooked on pipe making, so maybe it was the right way.
Yeah it's part of yours and his story. I'm sure he would've been glad that you made them into pipes in the first place.

Reactions: Woodfly