PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
My newest acquisition, the Tortuga 614 Hungarian/Oom Paul w/cap. Fell in love with this one immediately. Smokes fantastic, and very light on the clench.

View attachment 131555

Thanks Chris! ?
I understand everything you like about that pipe as most of mine are that shape as well ! But ... is the 614 shape considered a Hungarian/Oom Paul now ? It used to be called a full bent billiard. The Hungarian/oom Paul traditionally had flatter sides and shallower cut out above bend. Western pipe makers made the bowl more egg shaped than cylindrical. I ask because I seem to see everyone calling that a hungarian now and am confused. Congrats on the new pipe its a beauty !

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I understand everything you like about that pipe as most of mine are that shape as well ! But ... is the 614 shape considered a Hungarian/Oom Paul now ? It used to be called a full bent billiard. The Hungarian/oom Paul traditionally had flatter sides and shallower cut out above bend. Western pipe makers made the bowl more egg shaped than cylindrical. I ask because I seem to see everyone calling that a hungarian now and am confused. Congrats on the new pipe its a beauty !
Savinelli says this on their site about the 614:

"Model 614 belongs to the classic Billiard style. As you can see, it is surely the model with the most pronounced bend."

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
Savinelli Alligator 622, an ebay estate find for about 1/2 price of new. Must be an older version, it doesn't have the brown stem but there is a stamped alligator on the stem (it's all black, can't see it). Bent pot shape with 6mm filter slot. Was really happy to find this one, I'd been eyeing the alligator models but couldn't spend the $100+ right now. Also switched from the Bic EZ reach lighters to the Scriptio Hybrid version, which is refillable and has an adjustable soft flame. Great option until I upgrade to a dedicated pipe lighter.
savinelli gator pic.jpgi