PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jun 9, 2018
England
Hats used to be way more popular. Look at this picture from 1920 of a crowd of men and boys taken at a football match in England.
gettyimages-166284691-2048x2048.jpg

I've got a few baseball caps but I normally wear a wooly hat. I also have a model that is the same as one of my favourite actors Sid James used to wear.
download (4).jpeg
He was a pipe smoker as well.
download (5).jpeg

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Hats used to be way more popular. Look at this picture from 1920 of a crowd of men and boys taken at a football match in England.
View attachment 114643

I've got a few baseball caps but I normally wear a wooly hat. I also have a model that is the same as one of my favourite actors Sid James used to wear.
View attachment 114644
He was a pipe smoker as well.
View attachment 114645
Yep, same across Europe I’d say, I remember when i was little my dad told me in years past it was inconceivable for a man to leave the house without a hat.

I have a few hats, sadly still in storage after our recent move though.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
@Slacey very nice style you have going on with the cap, waistcoat, pocketwatch and trousers! Sometimes you wished ppl would have stuck a little more in a different era instead of the now era fashion wise (and in some way also in manners), especially the girls. Glad i'm also married to a older soul also, although were both 80's and 90's kids.

I like hats also, I just don't have any. There are not a lot of instances I could wear one, but a nice flatcap or fedora (depending on the rest of the clothing) is something I could really appreciate. But i'm sure this topic will cost me money someday, AGAIN!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Slacey,
Your style is spot on ! The secret is not too make it look to "obvious ", if take you my meaning, and you master it
perfectly. When younger I dressed what is now called "heritage" . Back then it was considered eccentric, or
plain odd :) while I was only dressing "heritage avant la lettre " .
Tweed overcoats, waistcoats, pocket watches, sleeve garters, the trousers , the whole shebang. I owned a huge collection of vintage hats and caps. You name it and it was there; fedora's, trilbys, Edens, Homburgs , panamas etc. I cleaned them over steam and brushed them.
In beaver, hare, straw etc. Most of it cleared out and I regret that now. What's left is a very rare Borsalino in
moss green, a Mayzer panama and a wonderful, brown fedora once bought in the Quartier Latin in Paris.
I now recall the name of the shop; it was Latreille. Also quite some newer 8 piece baker boy caps. Harris and Donegal tweed. Carloway, herringbone. Very Peaky Blinder style back then and now. Those were the days and the girls man, the girls :)
Of course there is also the obligatory beanie , best quality and style though :)

Last edited:

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
This is a great thread!
I pretty much wear some type of hat every day of the year. One of the things that I developed a fascination for as a child. My wife complains about all of the hats/caps in every room of the house except the bathrooms .
I wish I could get them all together and take a picture of what I have, but it would be more of an undertaking than I am willing to get into. I will just say that I could wear a different one everyday of the year without repeating.