Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
First one? This Country Gent. It now has a vulcanite stem, as seen in the picture, but is otherwise unremarkable other than it smokes really well. And is stained/colored from sweaty, dirty hands. I know it’s just a cob, and is just like all the other Country Gentleman pipes that come out of the factory, but it is one of my favorite pipes, and frequently smoked.
5F7DD52C-70F6-4677-8C41-D8CB5CBC699F.jpeg
It is now relegated to cigar leaf blends. Mostly Billy Budd, Habana Daydream, and the occasional bowl of Key Largo.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Then you have to be more careful Dan!
Managed to break one of my 2 'smoked' clay pipes when I tripped over a tree root or something last night.
Has it ever happened to you when you smoked clays?
I think everyone that smokes clay pipes regularly has broken at least one but I've broken a few in the 2 years since I took up the clay.
You're right Simon, I should be more careful!
Mum & Dad are looking after my other pipes for now; should I sell the ones that have unglazed tips or just use them at living history re-enactments?
Once again, I would be interested in your Pollock pipes when you return to the UK - and I don't want to break any more!
I've finished another packet of Condor Ready Rubbed but feel I'd like to cut down on both the beer and the 'pipe weed'!

Last edited:

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
First regularly smoked pipe, primitive homemade, lilac stem, crabapple bowl.

20200714_133047.jpg

First briar, a no name Italian made basket pipe with a rock hard plastic stem. Instant gurgle within two puffs until I took a needle file set and a drill bit to the end of the tenon and airway. It's a great smoker now, perfect clenching shape and balance but the hard stem hurts my teeth.

20200714_133125.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Managed to break one of my 2 'smoked' clay pipes when I tripped over a tree root or something last night.
Has it ever happened to you when you smoked clays?
I think everyone that smokes clay pipes regularly has broken at least one but I've broken a few in the 2 years since I took up the clay.
You're right Simon, I should be more careful!
Mum & Dad are looking after my other pipes for now; should I sell the ones that have unglazed tips or just use them at living history re-enactments?
Once again, I would be interested in your Pollock pipes when you return to the UK - and I don't want to break any more!
I've finished another packet of Condor Ready Rubbed but feel I'd like to cut down on both the beer and the 'pipe weed'!
@halfdan : I used to buy a box of 50/100 all sorted clays every month from Gordon Pollock since that was the number I would run through and break. My late Mothers back garden still looks like an archeologists wet dream from all the clay pipe fragments. This figure was not unusual as I have been informed that a heavy smoker in Victorian England would easily go through 25/40 clays a week. The unglazed pipes can be rendered safer if you paint the tips with harden nail polish. Measure from the tip inwards by 1 inch and then wrap some tape around the stem leaving the tip exposed. Borrow some red or hard nail varnish from your girlfriend and paint the stem. Let it set over night and then remove the tape. Hey presto you have a glazed tip that will not stick to your lips. Smoking an entire pack of Condor is a fairly unique achievement in one sitting. Slow done a little. You tongue and your wallet will thank you for the experience. I have not forgotten and when I get back to the U.K I'll send you some Pollock pipes. I had not forgotten. I never do!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I don't have my first pipe but the first pipe I smoked was Falcon.

il_794xN.1650521728_e4st.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@halfdan : I used to buy a box of 50/100 all sorted clays every month from Gordon Pollock since that was the number I would run through and break. My late Mothers back garden still looks like an archeologists wet dream from all the clay pipe fragments. This figure was not unusual as I have been informed that a heavy smoker in Victorian England would easily go through 25/40 clays a week. The unglazed pipes can be rendered safer if you paint the tips with harden nail polish. Measure from the tip inwards by 1 inch and then wrap some tape around the stem leaving the tip exposed. Borrow some red or hard nail varnish from your girlfriend and paint the stem. Let it set over night and then remove the tape. Hey presto you have a glazed tip that will not stick to your lips. Smoking an entire pack of Condor is a fairly unique achievement in one sitting. Slow done a little. You tongue and your wallet will thank you for the experience. I have not forgotten and when I get back to the U.K I'll send you some Pollock pipes. I had not forgotten. I never do!
Thanks Simon, I didn't smoke all my pipe baccy in one go, it was a full day out and don't smoke it very day!
It was when I celebrated the end of lockdown by going for a few pints of real ale - and a few pipefuls of baccy!
I've uploaded a few more videos to my 'pipe videos' YouTube channel; see them here:
I've started slowing my breathing down since I made my first videos and I'm enjoying it far more and not getting pipe tongue - the only thing is my pipe keeps going out!
I've also learned about 'breath smoking' from YouTube videos (breath in through your nose and blow back out through the pipe) as I'm told this delivers a much cooler smoke and my baccy lasts me longer.
I've only got one clay pipe at home now following my accident; accidents will happen!
Thanks for the advice on pipe smoking and coating the mouthpiece of my clay pipes.
Is there any particular nail varnish I should use to paint the mouthpiece?
I've only broken one clay pipe this year - so far!
Thanks, Dan.

Alfonso

Lurker
Jun 26, 2020
Italy
My first Is Lost in time... 40 ago.. in in the army, the First of the new cicle Is a Black Mamba ma del by Brumantica. AN italian artisan

Attachments

• IMG_20200716_161617.jpg
    IMG_20200716_161617.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Scarlet claw

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I knew Gordon Pollock well and visited his factory on Stott Street on several occasions in the late 1980s. I used to ride my motorcycle from Essex to his place on Stott Street in Manchester. He used to use his own clay pipes and cut up his own plug. He only died a few years ago and was a truly interesting man. although he retired from the business in 1992 I think.

Reactions: The Clay King

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
This mr brog pearwood I picked up in 2001-2 I don’t remember exactly. I do remember I picked up some nightcap since I thought the Tin was neat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: canucklehead

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Haven't seen my first pipe in ... oh, fifty? years.
About the same... it's been 33ish years. It was a rusticated straight Billiard basket pipe. I only smoked off and on a year (or few) in the late 80's to help stay awake in the patrol car on nights. Newer 1st pipe is this from Edwards B&M shop in Tampa...

20200517_162444d.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I cannot show my first pipe. It was a corn cob that I purchased in Lexington Kentucky on September 13, 2011.

I knew absolutely nothing about smoking a pipe and between eagerness, ignorance and too much bourbon, I literally burned it, my tongue, a finger and my face up.

I actually burned the shank off and the rim was burned. Not scorched from lighting wet tobacco.

But here I am. Still puffing and enjoying my pipes.