Show Us Your Comoy's (Collectors Thread)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I don't any Comoy's yet , but that cased set is flat awesome!! Very beautiful pipes. All of you have some very nice pipes.

Reactions: kashmir

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for the feedback guys.
blue-ribandzoom.jpg

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Just won two on eBay, my first pipe purchase in three years. They'll make a set of five, though I think I'm going to trade one of my current ones away. The goal is to have a seven-set of these. Nothing fancy, just Sandblasts, a Pebble Grain, and a Christmas Pipe, but I love the cuts, the smoking qualities, and I can afford them. Will post a family photo when the new ones arrive.

May 31, 2012
Kashmir, as everybodies said, that birdseye bulldog is outta this world, and I'd jump offa bridge for that 127, and my words stutter to total awe of the grand set.
Comoy's are often hard-fought in the auction realm, and sell super quick on the estate-dealer market, so I ain't gotta bunch, been late to the game and now I'm playing catch up.
I do have 1 proper Comoy, a 186 Sandblast that rocks my whole roll!
A very sweet smoker it is, though slightly worn.

1i6TSUK.jpg

1X8LsW8.jpg

3tL2VLi.jpg

And I gotta oddball 2nd called a Picadilly Square, a 185 lil bro to the bigger 186, and itsa fine tasty smoker as well, so much so that my strategy is to find more of these obscure Comoy 2nds, because I love blasts anyway, so grades ain't parta my picture show really...

U4buur9.jpg

D9DJO1w.jpg

ZtDNtVy.jpg

Comoy's just might actually be more popular and well-loved than Dunhill, indeed they made pipes for everyman inna wide range of grades, but somehow retained that great quality, although the proper Comoy's have better stems I'm sure, but in the scheme of things I'd wager that more pipemen thru the ages have fallen in love with more Comoy pipes than Dunhill pipes, when we're talkin' bout old Britbriar that is, in fact I'd reckon they might just be the top dogs in old Britbriar!
edit,

damn, apologies about the oversized pix

:oops:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks gents for all your kind comments on my Comoys. I collect these vintage pipe because they invariably provide good smokes, possess lovely classical English cut shapes, and, most importantly, don't cost as much as Dunhills. Misterlowercase, I do believe you're right when you say "... in the scheme of things I'd wager that more pipemen thru the ages have fallen in love with more Comoy pipes than Dunhill pipes, when we're talkin' bout old Britbriar that is, in fact I'd reckon they might just be the top dogs in old Britbriar"! Yep, I would agree with that statement.
By the way, since this is a thread about Comoy pipes, I really have to direct attention to Neill Archer Roan's Passion For Pipes blog, where he has a number of really outstanding articles of brand Comoy. Neill, perhaps more than anyone, has been a leader in drawing attention to these lovely pipes, their histories, and their charm. His recent reissues of classic Comoy pipe shapes, employing the leading craftsmen as collaborators, not to mention his forthcoming catalog on his Comoy's Blue Riband Collection, is not to be missed. Outstanding!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
My favorite Neill Archer Roan posts are the ones where he talks about the Comoy sandblasts. Smoking them and enjoying them for the cut is a lot more familiar to me than leaving them unsmoked and polishing them. He's got some beautiful Blue Ribands, but I guess I just don't have the collector gene.

countrygent

Lurker
Dec 16, 2013
Been lurking and joined just to say how much I enjoyed this thread.
The cut of both Comoys and GBDs prior to the mid-70's have a style I really like. Have more than a few of each and always looking for another one or two or couple of dozen. Unfortunately usually in the same places as you guys!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just bought a Comoy on OyVay. I hope it wasn't YOU I stole it from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COMOY-039-S-CRESCENT-CANADIAN-PIPE-296-/390911085821?nma=true&si=sSw8VsvWzCnuwlYiL7rkoZCS6%252B4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I miss Kasmir and his pipes. Glad to see this posting continued. In the near future I'll have a "Trend" with beautiful grain to add.

mojoe

Might Stick Around
Jan 6, 2015
Kansas City
Pretty typical of my pops.....he never (ever) has carried any debt, and everything he owns is in very good shape (no matter how old). I had planned to smoke this one, but once it arrived, I decided to leave it in the box and place it on a display shelf.