Show Us Your Chubby (Stout / Chunky / Thick) Pipes!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
That's funny. I find it a little too chunky. I actually just sold another horn-stemmed Ropp because I just prefer a flat Vulcanite bit, but this Stout Pot is so well broken in at this point I couldn't part with it. By small/skinny I assume you mean narrow, which is true. The taper on the stem is a little too steep for my liking. The button is flat and doesn't bother me. Bottom line, I don't find it to be a great clencher. YMMV as always.
I think that's why I decided against one. I like smaller pipes, because I want to forget they're there. Some of those just look like a chore to clench. I think I'm just getting lazy as I get older.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I think that's why I decided against one. I like smaller pipes, because I want to forget they're there. Some of those just look like a chore to clench. I think I'm just getting lazy as I get older.
Need to get you a SmithHouse sir! Easiest pipes to clench I’ve ever owned. Incredible stemwork.

Reactions: dunnyboy

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
FWIW I've had some Ropp vulcanite stems that were SUPER comfortable. The nicest one was on a Ropp Superior Bent Egg. Effortless. The drilling though...:rolleyes:

Reactions: alaskanpiper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
FWIW I've had some Ropp vulcanite stems that were SUPER comfortable. The nicest one was on a Ropp Superior Bent Egg. Effortless. The drilling though...:rolleyes:
I understand...as I have a LOT of work to do on one of my Rossi's .... I never should have taken the stem out....first time in almost a year since I bought it. busting out the files. Lol!

Reactions: Winnipeger

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yeah, narrow is the word I was looking for. The button itself I didn’t take issue with, just wish the width of the stem at the bit was more like a fishtail.
Well that's an exaggeration, but yeah, it's narrow and thick.
Yeah, this is why I returned the Ropp stout apple I bought. The pipe was wonderful but the the narrow button was what made it unpleasant to clench. I’m guessing that could be due to the taper of a horn.

Reactions: Winnipeger

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Never heard of them before now. Wasn't going to buy any pipes this year....

I saw his one pipe remaining on Etsy, and wow..... Beautiful work.
FWIW, he's very active on Instagram and sells most of his pipes directly there as they become available. His Etsy page is typically just pipes that fall through the cracks. They are also cheaper through Instagram.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I also have never had any issue with their vulcanite stems. It's annoying because many of their nicer pipes as far as the grain and finish, have the damn horn stems, hahaha. Including all the chubsters!

Contrarily, I've never had any issue with drilling or engineering on any Ropp I've owned, that being said, the only bent one I have is a churchwarden that remains unsmoked.