PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Law

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2020
Saudi Arabia
Today, I finally got my itch scratched, I won an auction on ebay for this 1994 Pebble Grain LX Chimney Pipe. What is even greater is that it has a 9mm filter draft hole, something that you don’t find everyday especially with Bill taylor Ashtons. At least not very frequently. It came with its pouch, and it was a very clean estate, no flaws that I have seen or encountered upon cleaning it. The grain is indeed a little different than the sandblasts I have. It seems that the oil-curing process effects the birdseye the most. It shifts it into a fainted, oiled up type of painting than the normal sandblast.

After smoking it, I can assure you it smokes wonderfully. It smokes like an excellent pipe, whether or not there is actual magic in this pipe.

E8CD062C-C441-46DD-A925-8CF21C8F6A58.jpegCBD82DF8-D80F-48C8-98BE-A0DE32DE0FB3.jpeg

Last edited:

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Today, I finally got my itch scratched, I won an auction on ebay for this 1994 Pebble Grain LX Chimney Pipe. What is even greater is that it has a 9mm filter draft hole, something that you don’t find everyday especially with Bill taylor Ashtons. At least not very frequently. It came with its pouch, and it was a very clean estate, no flaws that I have seen or encountered upon cleaning it. The grain is indeed a little different than the sandblasts I have. It seems that the oil-curing process effects the birdseye the most. It shifts it into a fainted, oiled up type of painting than the normal sandblast.

After smoking it, I can assure you it smokes wonderfully. It smokes like an excellent pipe, whether or not there is actual magic in this pipe.

View attachment 85776View attachment 85779
Well done. That’s a nice pipe from when Ashton was in the groove.

Reactions: OzPiper and Law

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
1F53CBC3-282F-474D-B549-F7F14C22FE9D.jpegView attachment 111234DA1EF1B9-E950-44CF-8FF0-F8FAE7CF8A9D.jpeg
70783C3B-93E7-4E75-A45E-E07DFB65A79E.jpeg
Two Ashton Sovereigns. The top pipe (not sure what shape to call it) is somewhat of a rack queen, the bowl is narrow and intimidatingly deep; however, I love the shape and the birds eye grain. I keep thinking I’m going to smoke it some Christmas Eve.

The apple was, admittedly, probably finished on a rough morning…, some pretty deep scratches from the sanding disk visible under the finish, yet it consistently vies for the top spot in the rotation.

Bought both on a trip to London in 2004, where over the weekend I was the recipient of Bill’s legendary hospitality, including a trip to the National Slow Smoke competition and a visit to the London Pipe Club; great memories.