PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Smoking inside at home isn't an option unfortunately. The front porch is plenty big enough however.
On the weekend mornings (when there isn't a pipe club meetup), I'll stroll around the corner for coffee/donuts, and continue to a grotto that I've frequented since I was but a child. It does well for shielding the elements. I don't mind the cool weather so much.

View attachment 277781
Looks like an old shrine... Possibly Our Lady of Fatima?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
We are having a cold snap so I will be using my office for at least a week. Usually we have days that are around 50is and sunny.

RMGadelha

Lurker
Mar 5, 2021
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Mason jars around here are cheapest (new) at Ace Hardware at about $14/12 (8oz). I also check Goodwill, there’s usually a few on their glassware section, and you’ll have to mix/match lids. Have also found pipe racks there for cheap.

For the jars on the right that don’t seal well, I use those for the bulk aros that usually won’t get crispy on their own short of a week in a convection oven (think blends like those that are in the big jars at B&M’s). Lane and Sutliff bulk aros have been in mine like that over a year and are fine.
They are not very easy to find in Brazil, but I have found them in the past. I could try to import them from the U.S, but our customs love taxing imported goods. So far, I only have those three jars, the rest being the ones that don't seal well. I don't smokre aros, so I will probably stop using them and only open my tins when I have a mason jar that isn't being used. What's the best way to clean the jars and the lids to remove odors from blends that were previously in the jars?

Reactions: seanv

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
They are not very easy to find in Brazil, but I have found them in the past. I could try to import them from the U.S, but our customs love taxing imported goods. So far, I only have those three jars, the rest being the ones that don't seal well. I don't smokre aros, so I will probably stop using them and only open my tins when I have a mason jar that isn't being used. What's the best way to clean the jars and the lids to remove odors from blends that were previously in the jars?
Ahhh.
I’ve found a run through the dishwasher or hand wash with Dawn (or other good grease removing, low residue soap) works great. I tried alcohol, but stronger scents remained, and probably isn’t great for the sealing rings.

Reactions: RMGadelha

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Enclosed a small area of my unfinished basement. View attachment 277769It's not fancy, and still a work in progress. If like to put up a TV and cover the OSB walls in something a little more attractive (not drywall though). It sure beats sitting out in the -25 Canadian winters for 4 months! In the warmer months I prefer to sit outside.
.... when you're ready to upgrade.... puffy

D002-K500.jpg

kelopiippu

Lurker
Jan 7, 2024
Finland
Really nice photos and storys you have. My smoking room is our small shed, but because at winter time it get's quite cold in here in Finland (-15 to -35 celcius) My little shed is quite cold place. Though i have installed couple of heat sources there, it get's too cold to enjoy your smoke. And as my self am a connoisseur in the essence of smoking pipe and cigars with some other finer things on life, i do not smoke pipe as often as i would like.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Mason jars around here are cheapest (new) at Ace Hardware at about $14/12 (8oz). I also check Goodwill, there’s usually a few on their glassware section, and you’ll have to mix/match lids. Have also found pipe racks there for cheap.

For the jars on the right that don’t seal well, I use those for the bulk aros that usually won’t get crispy on their own short of a week in a convection oven (think blends like those that are in the big jars at B&M’s). Lane and Sutliff bulk aros have been in mine like that over a year and are fine.
I've used "French" style jars (the ones with clamps) for my tobacco with no problems for many decades. I find them aesthetically pleasing, convenient to open/close, a wide variety of sizes--and the seals are easily replaced.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I use the french canning jars also since Mason jars are just a crazy price in the EU. It is imporant to make sure you arent using dried out seals. You can also adjust the tension by bending the bailing wire.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Do you get Kilner jars in the EU (British company, though made in China now)? They're clip jars are the most common, but they also produce a mason-style jar.

I use both clip-top and screw-top with no problem. I have some tobacco stored in clip-top jars since 2015 and it's still okay. There may be a higher failure rate, but I haven't experienced it.

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
Do you get Kilner jars in the EU (British company, though made in China now)? They're clip jars are the most common, but they also produce a mason-style jar.

I use both clip-top and screw-top with no problem. I have some tobacco stored in clip-top jars since 2015 and it's still okay. There may be a higher failure rate, but I haven't experienced it.
We have ready access to Mason jars here in Canada, but I've been buying these Quattro Stagioni jars from Italy instead for storing tobacco. They are prettier and I like the size options better. ex. you can get a 320ml in a wide mouth. Wondering if you can source these in EU as they must be cheaper than they are here and cheaper than Mason????