PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
My entire house. What happened to men?
When did a Mans Home stop being HIS castle?
I picked up a pipe ten years into living with the third Mrs Sobrbiker, so I take her preference into consideration. We both smoked cigarettes early in our relationship, but never smoked inside after moving into a place together. Now we vape for primary nicotine, so essentially smoke “air fresheners” inside. She doesn’t dig pipe smoke, and I dig her.
Had I been smoking a pipe in my house when she met met me, I’d still be doing it.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I wish I had more mason-style jars though. The ones on the right aren't very reliable or air tight.

View attachment 277725
Mason jars around here are cheapest (new) at Ace Hardware at about $14/12 (8oz). I also check Goodwill, there’s usually a few on their glassware section, and you’ll have to mix/match lids. Have also found pipe racks there for cheap.

For the jars on the right that don’t seal well, I use those for the bulk aros that usually won’t get crispy on their own short of a week in a convection oven (think blends like those that are in the big jars at B&M’s). Lane and Sutliff bulk aros have been in mine like that over a year and are fine.

Last edited:

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Enclosed a small area of my unfinished basement. DB1996C5-20E7-4803-B307-CFB6B3E8F08A.jpegIt's not fancy, and still a work in progress. If like to put up a TV and cover the OSB walls in something a little more attractive (not drywall though). It sure beats sitting out in the -25 Canadian winters for 4 months! In the warmer months I prefer to sit outside.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Side question. Does anyone smoke in their bedroom? Im wondering about the smoke vs having all your clothes in that room. My upstairs bedroom has a small "walk in" closet with a door, and a door leading to outside "balcony" ( with no railing--not legally a porch yet) . Im wondering if that would be easier, moving all my clothes into the closet, and cracking a window, or the door.
I used to fall asleep with a cig in my hands, don’t do that! 😂😬

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Smoking inside at home isn't an option unfortunately. The front porch is plenty big enough however.
On the weekend mornings (when there isn't a pipe club meetup), I'll stroll around the corner for coffee/donuts, and continue to a grotto that I've frequented since I was but a child. It does well for shielding the elements. I don't mind the cool weather so much.

image.jpg

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
It's usually either my bedroom or my living room, but my bedroom is where I keep my pipes and my tobacco. I wish I had more mason-style jars though. The ones on the right aren't very reliable or air tight.

View attachment 277724View attachment 277725
View attachment 277726
Are Ball or Kerr Jars unavailable in Brazil? Does Amazon have a different kind of supply to the southern hemisphere? If not, you should be able to score some there. 8oz jars are good for your freshly opened 2oz (or less) tins, and a 32 oz can pack anywhere between 8oz-1lb of tobacco, depending on the cut. If ribbon, 8-12oz depending on how packed you want it, but if plug, easily 1lb.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
My first real job was in offshore oil production. I remember coming home and smoking a camel on the patio in a lounge chair and falling asleep and burning myself 3-4
times every time I did that from being so tired. Not fun, I could've easily set a bed on fire.
Yeah, I’d like to say I didn’t burn myself this way multiple times.

• Haha
Reactions: PaulRVA