PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Weren't Rattray pipes made in Scotland at one time? And now somewhere else, maybe Italy or France. My PC is gimpy on web sites, pipedia being one.

How are your Rattray's stamped for nation of origin, if they are?

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Kohlhaas and Kopp obviously bought the label. They say that the pipes are now produced in France and Italy, look pipedia: “Oliver Kopp has been the driving force behind the Rattrays pipes, using a number of traditional makers in Saint-Claude (Chacom & Butz-Choquin) and also by factories in Italy (Gigi, Brebbia, L'anatra) and Altinay for the Meerschaum pipes.”

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
But you should be able to smoke it more than 3 times. And you should get a response from the maker when you have an issue.
So sad ! I love my Rattray’s Bent Apple but I can relate to your bad experience. I have purchased a couple of other well known makes of pipes and they are straight rubbish! They now collect dust in my not so often used pipe bin. Customer service as a whole has digressed to nothing in most industries now.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
Weren't Rattray pipes made in Scotland at one time? And now somewhere else, maybe Italy or France. My PC is gimpy on web sites, pipedia being one.

How are your Rattray's stamped for nation of origin, if they are?
no nation of origin on my three

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
The pipe appears to be made of morta rather than wood, I don't know if the pipe was dropped or not but every once in a while, morta sometimes splits.
they all seem to say made of briar on the website, but now I'm worried mine are going to crack

Reactions: kcghost

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
UK
When I was looking to buy my 1st morta pipe, Rattray was a brand I looked at.
Lack of stock + filter made me decide on a Moretti instead
I'm glad I dodged that bullet 😥
On researching, it looks like it was limited 'Bog Oak' (Morta) pipe(s) they released a while back. the normal ones are definitely briar.