PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here are my three oldest, top to bottom: 1900 patent meer, ~1910 Kapp & Peterson Limited, 1905 Patent with AB stem. The meer is being restored (broken stem, ferrule in wrong position). The 'Limited' has been restored since this picture was taken, the 1905 Patent is completely restored and one of my favorite smokers.

20200826_152116 copy.jpg

20210121_150727 copy.jpg

20210422_161040 2 copy.jpeg

Friend who stopped smoking 30 years ago, about the same time that I did, but unlike me he hasn't just taken up pipes again, gave me a stash of five of his old pipes. Among them, this Peterson. It might be a System, or might be a 6mm filter, the stem opening looks 6mm ish. Can someone identify it, please?
It was in a dreadful state. The shank was completely blocked. I got through a whole pack of bristled cleaners and an oceanful of isopropyl alcohol. And the mount was as bad as you can see from the "Before" pic.
I'll let the iso alcohol and Brasso dissipate before I give it a smoke. Prob Butternut Burley tomorrow evening.IMG_1402.jpegIMG_1407.jpegIMG_1408.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I doubt it was a filter. It probably had the screw-in "chimney" extension that is part of the "System". Mark Irwin swears the chimney makes a difference and has to be there, but I could never really discern a difference with or without it. Peterson will sell you a new style, aluminum chimney for a few bucks plus shipping, if you really want to try it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Regular system pipes just have a sort of extension of the stem, while the deluxe system pipes have the chimney, IIRC.

And if you email Peterson about the chimney, they’ll probably send one free of charge. I emailed them a year or two ago about a replacement, and they just took my address and sent two.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Anything particular to know about cleaning these?
I’m not religious about cleaning most pipes after smoking but systems do warrant a bit of attention. When I’m done smoking I usually take the stem off and empty the well of the pipe, then knock out the ash/dottle. Run cleaners through the airway and a doubled up cleaner or q-tip to clean out the well. Sometimes I may swab the well with alcohol. You can leave pipe apart to air dry but don’t have to.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Yeah, that’s a System Standard pipe, so the head end of the stem will look sort of like a filter holder, but as it goes back into the body of the stem it tapers down like a funnel.

The whole idea of the system is that with the large space for the well, and the smoke having to do a 180 turn twice is that it remove moisture. One aspect is the smoke entering the well area becomes lower pressure because of the larger space, therefore allowing the moisture in the smoke to condensate and collect on the surfaces as it makes its way past the stem extension.

The interface of the mortise and tenon is cut at a 1.5 degree angle so that any wear to these over time will just allow the stem to fit deeper into the mortise. It’s designed to be taken apart frequently to clean out the well.

I use a pair of hemostats and a piece of paper towel; lock the hemostat onto one side of the paper towel and wrap it around the jaws until it’s just a little bigger than the mortise. Then twist it into the mortise the same direction I wrapped the towel. Wipes the inside clean and soaks up all the moisture.

Wacko4Tobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2021
She is a sweet one :puffy: Smoking English and Balkan blends in her
002-029-16059.jpg

Outstanding pipe sir!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA