PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks!

It is a really nice pipe, some beautiful birdseye grain on it too.

I managed to find the hallmark. It’s a set of scales with 925 in the middle.

Still curious to the shape number though, I’m thinking XL18.
View attachment 341530
View attachment 341531
Yep EU convention silver marks. I have on one of my Pete’s, and also was on an original Sherlock Holmes I sold a while back

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Connecticut, USA
And here it is! A 309 Spigot that comes with the option of a 9mm or condenser. I ordered mine with the condenser. Can't freaking wait to get this here.
View attachment 341778
If you wanted to buy just one quintessential Peterson Pipe, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better one than the smooth bourbon. I can't afford to get one at this time so I'm going to break out my XL339S second and smoke it in solidarity with this release. ;) :)

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Connecticut, USA
Thanks for posting this. Maybe they will tell me when I go visit the factory.
Maybe read this old closed thread first. There is a post that indicates silica (more than 1%?) was banned in the 60's in England ... so probably blend of glass beads et al.

Your question got me curious and has caused me to learn more about sandblasting and rustication than I thought I would ever know ... but :
1728869922543.png 👍

Last edited:

Revnatorade C.P.G.

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Maybe read this old closed thread first. There is a post that indicates silica (more than 1%?) was banned in the 60's in England ... so probably blend of glass beads et al.

Your question got me curious and has caused me to learn more about sandblasting and rustication than I thought I would ever know ... but :
View attachment 341934 👍
I've been reading on it as I want to sandblast a pipe.

RPK

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
Picked up this nice silver cap the other day.

Fairly unusual, no shape number, 19 x 55mm (0.74 x 2.14in) bowl, fishtail cumberland stem and strange hallmark on the silver band. The hallmark on the cap is easy to make out, F (1991), but I have seen one or can’t find anything similar to the one on the band.

What are people’s thoughts on the shape number and hallmark?

Cheers.
@RaoulDuke

I am currently researching a Peterson I recently acquired and will post pictures and information when I get it all together.

Reach out as I did to Peterson in Dublin. Send them some pictures. They are very helpful.

shop@peterson.ie

Reactions: Speak Easy

RPK

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2023
Central NJ, USA
I recently concluded some "horse trading" with this guys keeper whom you may recognize.

IMG_2599.jpeg
In trade I acquired a beautiful Peterson System Pipe. When I received it I had some question regding the stem as being correct. I contacted Peterson in Dublin and they were extremely helpful. After sending them pictures they confirmed that the Irish Free State pipe that I received did have the correct stem, was made at the end of that period in about 1937 and was a shape number 9.

Peterson.jpg

good-trade-dances-with-wolves.gif

Thank you @Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I recently concluded some "horse trading" with this guys keeper whom you may recognize.

View attachment 342650
In trade I acquired a beautiful Peterson System Pipe. When I received it I had some question regding the stem as being correct. I contacted Peterson in Dublin and they were extremely helpful. After sending them pictures they confirmed that the Irish Free State pipe that I received did have the correct stem, was made at the end of that period in about 1937 and was a shape number 9.

View attachment 342656

View attachment 342657

Thank you @Sobrbiker
Love it!
If it didn’t hold a third of a tin, I’d have kept it😉

I’m glad it’s found its next caring custodian.

Reactions: Speak Easy