PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I absolutely love my 314. It literally smokes better than all my pipes at this point. My last bowl was down to pure ash. (I know I know)

But the plip is huge. And I've heard the new acrylic ones are bigger than the older vulcanite ones. My gag reflex is so intense, that it almost affects me. Gotta hold the pipe to not gag. I might try filing the plip edge down, to make it thinner.

Anyone done anything like this before?

Last edited:
Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
I absolutely love my 314. It literally smokes better than all my pipes at this point. My last bowl was down to pure ash. (I know I know)

But the plip is huge. And I've heard the new acrylic ones are bigger than the older vulcanite ones. My gag reflex is so intense, that it almost affects me. Gotta hold the pipe to not gag. I might try filing the plip edge down, to make it thinner.

Does your 313 have one of these vulcanite ones? I have seen people file these down to effectively turn them into fishtails. It's not pretty but it works and might be a good solution for you if that pipe smokes that well,

1726514164654.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ

Button should be hooked just inside teeth, curved bottom of plip just at edge of tongue. The top edges of plips I actually keep in the valley of my upper bicuspid.

I’d leave reshaping it to someone that knows what they’re doing, or having said someone make your a proper replacement (the plip finishes off the system, but the airway shape and taper is a huge part).

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
Button should be hooked just inside teeth, curved bottom of plip just at edge of tongue. The top edges of plips I actually keep in the valley of my upper bicuspid.

I’d leave reshaping it to someone that knows what they’re doing, or having said someone make your a proper replacement (the plip finishes off the system, but the airway shape and taper is a huge part).
Yes lmao. To everyone that commented, I understand how the plip works. I'm not looking to get rid of it. But bring the....part where my teeth hit, (what did the diagram call it, shelf?) back a few cm. So it's not so far into my mouth lol

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
A system reservoir should have moisture in it when you're finished smoking and should require a cleaning, unless you're smoking your tobacco very, very dry.
Yet I have noticed with my old estate purchased pipes that some of them don't seem to have any moisture in the bowl at the end, I don't recall specifically about my new ones.
Anyway, I simply thought that something was happening with the briar where it became seasoned in some fashion and, well, I don't know what I thought happened to the moisture I expected in there...?
Maybe I've graduated to a piping wizard that doesn't produce moisture in my masterful smokes....