PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Banana blends?
Gawith and Hoggarth Kendal Gold Banana and Sutliff's Bananas and Cream. Tried to commission a horn like the one I got since it's shaped like a banana, but Burak never got back with me.

• Love
Reactions: condorlover1

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK Duane I have read your review. I am intrigued enough to buy at tin of the stuff. It cannot be any worse than the latest release of Ennerdale. Who over this side of the pond carries the stuff? Maybe I should pick up a few CD's of Electric Banana to listen to whilst trying the stuff out.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I just got started. Had some cobs and some briars, suddenly needed a meerschaum to see what the “cool smoke” hype is about.

Looking for a comfortable reading pipe. 40 days ago I splurged on a very bent billiard from meerschaum market. Loved it so much, I needed another: A beater, so I can experiment and learn about the material. Maybe a straight billiard, for smoking on rainy walks & bike rides with the kids.
Signed up on eBay and got a very messy lattice billiard (now cleaned up).

Are meers always so much bigger than a briar or a cob?
1F43C59B-5AC1-4273-980D-50307A4F63A4.jpeg

El Barto

Lurker
Feb 26, 2022
Thanks for the positive comments guys! I figured I should get to answering some questions since you guys were so welcoming.

Yes, it came white. It took a few years for the color to start. At about 5 years or so I did a dip in Medical grade bees wax. I found it at a farmers market and thought I would give it a try. It seemed to give it a deep glow like waxing a car. I may do it again some day soon, but I really don’t like the process.

as far as even coloring it’s darker when the stem meets the meer and at the top ridge. I never worried about handling it and I only used matches or zippo. It does need a good ream since the cake is getting real thick and I don’t want it to crack the meer. I think it took so long to start coloring since up until the last couple years I only smoke about 1 or 2 bowls a week.

Be Well,

El Barto

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the positive comments guys! I figured I should get to answering some questions since you guys were so welcoming.

Yes, it came white. It took a few years for the color to start. At about 5 years or so I did a dip in Medical grade bees wax. I found it at a farmers market and thought I would give it a try. It seemed to give it a deep glow like waxing a car. I may do it again some day soon, but I really don’t like the process.

as far as even coloring it’s darker when the stem meets the meer and at the top ridge. I never worried about handling it and I only used matches or zippo. It does need a good ream since the cake is getting real thick and I don’t want it to crack the meer. I think it took so long to start coloring since up until the last couple years I only smoke about 1 or 2 bowls a week.

Be Well,

El Barto
Absolutely gorgeous, no doubt about it.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Somehow I missed this entire forum until now. Love seeing everyone's Meers.

Here's my first Meerschaum I got last summer, a fairly basic AKB but one I've really come to enjoy. This pic was taken the first day I got it, enjoyed my first taste of Devil's Holiday in it on a scorcher of NC afternoon.
20210708_161026.jpg

A quirk I wasn't expecting is one of the rose petals forms a really nice finger rest. Makes it very comfortable to hold.
20210710_120613.jpg

This one is signed S. Cosgun, I was pretty impressed with the carving despite it being a cheaper pipe from AKB. It's still got a light hint of berries from that first smoke but befitting it's floral nature has since been dedicated to Lakelands.